Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I need a Bombarde so that I can at least say that I play a double reed instrument :hmpf:

ReputationRep:
    I'm playing in Sibelius 5 in Summer (Horn). Going to be fun, lots of beautiful horn stuff in there (last movement! *eargasm*)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haeron)
    I'm playing in Sibelius 5 in Summer (Horn). Going to be fun, lots of beautiful horn stuff in there (last movement! *eargasm*)
    Ahh, I love the 3rd movement, especially when the horns come in. Hopefully my school orchestra will play it some day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    tbf Clarinet >> Oboe :yes:

:p:
    Agreed, up to the point where the oboist gets a good tone. Then the oboe is far superior. I really want to learn the oboe, but I'm content with the clarinet (which is still amazing :cool: )

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I do prefer the Cor anglais to the Oboe, and the bassoon for that matter.

ReputationRep:
    The thing about the Oboe is that the Strauss Oboe Concerto exists, and therefore we must be thankful for the Oboe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haeron)
    The thing about the Oboe is that the Strauss Oboe Concerto exists, and therefore we must be thankful for the Oboe.
    BUT, is there a wide range of both classical AND modern jazz/swing repetoire for the oboe? the clarinet's very versatile :cool: . Still really want to learn tho oboe though (don't ask why, but I just want to play Gabriel's Oboe, I've always wanted to be able to play it on the oboe)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolsihboy)
    BUT, is there a wide range of both classical AND modern jazz/swing repetoire for the oboe? the clarinet's very versatile :cool: . Still really want to learn tho oboe though (don't ask why, but I just want to play Gabriel's Oboe, I've always wanted to be able to play it on the oboe)
    The oboe has baroque music, the clarinet does not. :p:
    There is actually a small following for jazz oboe actually, (I personally think it sounds stupid, but then again I do play sax :p: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doublereedfreak)
    Oooh the clarinet thing is really annoying.
    Although more understandable than some moron asking me is my saxophone was a cello once :/
    I gave up on the world at that point.
    I was once asked if my cello was an oboe. Maybe they know something we don't :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Da Bachtopus)
    I was once asked if my cello was an oboe. Maybe they know something we don't :ninja:
    An anti-musician society? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doublereedfreak)
    There is actually a small following for jazz oboe actually
    Seriously? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    in youth orchestra, we are playing something with an Oboe Cadenza.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Da Bachtopus)
    Haha, oh dear..
    My cello's just always referred to as 'the giant violin' amongst my friends

ReputationRep:
    Try playing the French Horn.

'What's that? A trombone?'

ReputationRep:
    I play the Timple and Melodeon. I have only once met someone who knew what the former was.

ReputationRep:
    The name Timple always makes me smile. It just brings to mind a lighthearted children's adventure, starring Timple, a small bear always getting himself in a pickle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunburnedCactus)
    The name Timple always makes me smile. It just brings to mind a lighthearted children's adventure, starring Timple, a small bear always getting himself in a pickle.
    Fine. I'll switch to Charango. You can't make a joke out of a Charango

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorely tempted by a tropical fruit related pun... but I'll let it go. Just for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunburnedCactus)
    I'm sorely tempted by a tropical fruit related pun... but I'll let it go. Just for you.
    Thank you :o:

Mind you I haven't got a Charango yet. It's next on my list of instruments to buy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    Thank you :o:

Mind you I haven't got a Charango yet. It's next on my list of instruments to buy.
    my IB Music teacher has one of those.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.