The Student Room Group

The TSR Musicians' Society

Scroll to see replies

I need a Bombarde so that I can at least say that I play a double reed instrument :hmpf:
Reply 1801
I'm playing in Sibelius 5 in Summer (Horn). Going to be fun, lots of beautiful horn stuff in there (last movement! *eargasm*)
Reply 1802
Haeron
I'm playing in Sibelius 5 in Summer (Horn). Going to be fun, lots of beautiful horn stuff in there (last movement! *eargasm*)

Ahh, I love the 3rd movement, especially when the horns come in. Hopefully my school orchestra will play it some day
ukebert
tbf Clarinet >> Oboe :yes:

:p:

Agreed, up to the point where the oboist gets a good tone. Then the oboe is far superior. I really want to learn the oboe, but I'm content with the clarinet (which is still amazing :cool: )
Hmm, I do prefer the Cor anglais to the Oboe, and the bassoon for that matter.
Reply 1805
The thing about the Oboe is that the Strauss Oboe Concerto exists, and therefore we must be thankful for the Oboe.
Haeron
The thing about the Oboe is that the Strauss Oboe Concerto exists, and therefore we must be thankful for the Oboe.

BUT, is there a wide range of both classical AND modern jazz/swing repetoire for the oboe? the clarinet's very versatile :cool: . Still really want to learn tho oboe though (don't ask why, but I just want to play Gabriel's Oboe, I've always wanted to be able to play it on the oboe)
foolsihboy
BUT, is there a wide range of both classical AND modern jazz/swing repetoire for the oboe? the clarinet's very versatile :cool: . Still really want to learn tho oboe though (don't ask why, but I just want to play Gabriel's Oboe, I've always wanted to be able to play it on the oboe)

The oboe has baroque music, the clarinet does not. :p:
There is actually a small following for jazz oboe actually, (I personally think it sounds stupid, but then again I do play sax :p: )
Doublereedfreak
Oooh the clarinet thing is really annoying.
Although more understandable than some moron asking me is my saxophone was a cello once :/
I gave up on the world at that point.

I was once asked if my cello was an oboe. Maybe they know something we don't :ninja:
Da Bachtopus
I was once asked if my cello was an oboe. Maybe they know something we don't :ninja:

An anti-musician society? :p:
Doublereedfreak
There is actually a small following for jazz oboe actually

Seriously? :eek:
Reply 1811
in youth orchestra, we are playing something with an Oboe Cadenza.
Da Bachtopus

Haha, oh dear..
My cello's just always referred to as 'the giant violin' amongst my friends
Reply 1813
Try playing the French Horn.

'What's that? A trombone?'
I play the Timple and Melodeon. I have only once met someone who knew what the former was.
The name Timple always makes me smile. It just brings to mind a lighthearted children's adventure, starring Timple, a small bear always getting himself in a pickle.
SunburnedCactus
The name Timple always makes me smile. It just brings to mind a lighthearted children's adventure, starring Timple, a small bear always getting himself in a pickle.

Fine. I'll switch to Charango. You can't make a joke out of a Charango :colonhash:
I'm sorely tempted by a tropical fruit related pun... but I'll let it go. Just for you. :wink:
SunburnedCactus
I'm sorely tempted by a tropical fruit related pun... but I'll let it go. Just for you. :wink:

Thank you :o:

Mind you I haven't got a Charango yet. It's next on my list of instruments to buy.
Reply 1819
ukebert
Thank you :o:

Mind you I haven't got a Charango yet. It's next on my list of instruments to buy.

my IB Music teacher has one of those.

Quick Reply

Latest