Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Decided to give this thread a bit of a revive.

So hey guys, I play the Drums (Grade 7) and the Bass (Guitar, Just started Grade 1) along with Guitar (Which I don't do exams in).

Hoping to expand to another instrument too, perhaps a Brass or Woodwind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comm Tiger)
    Decided to give this thread a bit of a revive.

So hey guys, I play the Drums (Grade 7) and the Bass (Guitar, Just started Grade 1) along with Guitar (Which I don't do exams in).

Hoping to expand to another instrument too, perhaps a Brass or Woodwind.
    Chose woodwind! It beats brass any day, and the instruments are just generally better (and in my opinion easier to play too)

ReputationRep:
    Woodwind=Win to be honest.

However, I'm ashamed to be a traitor. The 'cello is my favourite ever instrument. I really wish I took it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doublereedfreak)
    Woodwind=Win to be honest.

However, I'm ashamed to be a traitor. The 'cello is my favourite ever instrument. I really wish I took it up.
    :eek: I never knew this, woodwind betrayer :mad:

Ahah, well I've got to admit, the string instruments WHEN PLAYED WELL are brilliant, but it takes time and commitment to get there. Woodwind doesn't take too long to get a sound that doesn't make your ears hurt.

ReputationRep:
    I've been playing the cello for nearly 10 years, and I'm only now beginning to fully appreciate it. I used to look as it as a chore to practice, but now I love it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolsihboy)
    :eek: I never knew this, woodwind betrayer :mad:

Ahah, well I've got to admit, the string instruments WHEN PLAYED WELL are brilliant, but it takes time and commitment to get there. Woodwind doesn't take too long to get a sound that doesn't make your ears hurt.
    Oh I totally agree on the easiest part. But the 'cello.. it's just beautiful. :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahhi)
    I've been playing the cello for nearly 10 years, and I'm only now beginning to fully appreciate it. I used to look as it as a chore to practice, but now I love it.
    That's the best bit of playing an instrument, when you get to the point where practicing is enjoyable and not like homework. I love playing the clarinet, and will just pick it up and play it when I'm bored/if its there

ReputationRep:
    That's the best bit of playing an instrument, when you get to the point where practicing is enjoyable and not like homework. I love playing the clarinet, and will just pick it up and play it when I'm bored/if its there
    I'm still using a hired one from school, because I could never afford my own. But I'm heading to uni in September, and my mum has given me some money my great-granny left to her in her will, so I'm putting it towards a cello I love playing in orchestras as well as just by myself

ReputationRep:
    I'm still using a hired one from school, because I could never afford my own. But I'm heading to uni in September, and my mum has given me some money my great-granny left to her in her will, so I'm putting it towards a cello I love playing in orchestras as well as just by myself
    That's the only bad thing about being a musician: the cost of the bleedin' instruments. I've got my own clarinet, but that cleared us out... and I know realistically I'm never gonna have my own bassoon/sax/A clarinet...

ReputationRep:
    That's the only bad thing about being a musician: the cost of the bleedin' instruments. I've got my own clarinet, but that cleared us out... and I know realistically I'm never gonna have my own bassoon/sax/A clarinet...
    I know, it's not the cheapest 'hobby' in the world. Lessons are expensive enough, without adding the cost of renting an instrument (which I'm doing at the minute). Plus, for a decent cello string, it's around £25 per string :eek: How long had you been playing before you got your own?

ReputationRep:
    I hatehatehate how expensive music is
    I've just about got enough to buy my alto sax and I have a second hand Buffet B12 clarinet but I doubt I'll ever get an oboe or bassoon.

ReputationRep:
    I know, it's not the cheapest 'hobby' in the world. Lessons are expensive enough, without adding the cost of renting an instrument (which I'm doing at the minute). Plus, for a decent cello string, it's around £25 per string :eek: How long had you been playing before you got your own?
    I'm fortunate enough to receive free lessons in college very lucky there.

As for cost, I spend £240 a year on reeds alone (I tend to break my bassoon reeds quickly, then there's Bb clarinet reeds, Eb clarinet reeds, Tenor sax reeds, and occasionally Alto reeds)

Erm, I got my first clarinet (£99, or £199 I can't remember) when I had been playing a year. It was really poor quality though. Now I have a Yamaha Custom CS, which I bought after doing my grade 7, so quite a while then. I get a tenor sax from college for free while I'm there, and a bassoon from my local music service likewise.

ReputationRep:
    I'm fortunate enough to receive free lessons in college very lucky there.

As for cost, I spend £240 a year on reeds alone (I tend to break my bassoon reeds quickly, then there's Bb clarinet reeds, Eb clarinet reeds, Tenor sax reeds, and occasionally Alto reeds)

Erm, I got my first clarinet (£99, or £199 I can't remember) when I had been playing a year. It was really poor quality though. Now I have a Yamaha Custom CS, which I bought after doing my grade 7, so quite a while then. I get a tenor sax from college for free while I'm there, and a bassoon from my local music service likewise.
    Lucky you with the free lessons- I spend over £180 per year on lessons (add that to my piano lessons- it's not a nice amount )

:eek: Wow, that's a lot on reeds. I tend to snap strings a lot :o: I hate tuning for that reason!

Ah right, quite a while then. I think the time has finally come, that I'm dedicated enough to it, to own my own cello

ReputationRep:
    Lucky you with the free lessons- I spend over £180 per year on lessons (add that to my piano lessons- it's not a nice amount )

:eek: Wow, that's a lot on reeds. I tend to snap strings a lot :o: I hate tuning for that reason!

Ah right, quite a while then. I think the time has finally come, that I'm dedicated enough to it, to own my own cello
    Out of interest, how much do quite decent (student/intermediate) cellos cost?
    I'd love to get one when I'm older/have money/have bought the instruments I need :p:

ReputationRep:
    Also, random question, but doublereedfreak, how many reeds do you tend to go through in a year/month? Just wondering how many other people used.

hannahhi, I left it reeeeeeeeeeeally late to get my clarinet, it was sheer lack of money that led me to leave it that long. Go for it, and enjoy your new cello!

ReputationRep:
    Also, random question, but doublereedfreak, how many reeds do you tend to go through in a year/month? Just wondering how many other people used.

hannahhi, I left it reeeeeeeeeeeally late to get my clarinet, it was sheer lack of money that led me to leave it that long. Go for it, and enjoy your new cello!
    Um bassoon reeds I get free from my teacher so I get one or two every two weeks or so. However, I've never broken any so I could make them last about a month or more before they're gross/sound rubbish.
    Sax reeds can last me ages and I forget to buy new ones but then I'll buy a few to last me.
    Oboe reeds are a nightmare. They're like 6.50 minimum so I try to make them last as long as possible which can end up being like 2 months ew.
    Clarinet I don't play often enough for it to be a problem plus theyre only like 1 poundish so not too bad.

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, how much do quite decent (student/intermediate) cellos cost?
    I'd love to get one when I'm older/have money/have bought the instruments I need :p:
    I'm not entirely sure, as I haven't investigated properly though but I've seen some from £240 through to £390. Will get back to you when I've looked properly, and got advice from my teacher :p: I'm hoping not too expensive!

ReputationRep:

Ha, will do

ReputationRep:
    I'm not entirely sure, as I haven't investigated properly though but I've seen some from £240 through to £390. Will get back to you when I've looked properly, and got advice from my teacher :p: I'm hoping not too expensive!
    If those are decent 'cellos that's really good compared to other instruments.
    *Has increased desire even moreee. The cello is such a great instrument.

ReputationRep:
    If those are decent 'cellos that's really good compared to other instruments.
    *Has increased desire even moreee. The cello is such a great instrument.
    I agree there :p:
    I first tried out for the violin, but because I was one of the taller people I was given a cello. And I'm glad I was now, because I love it and I'm glad I don't play violin tbh

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.