Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahhi)
    I agree there :p:
    I first tried out for the violin, but because I was one of the taller people I was given a cello. And I'm glad I was now, because I love it and I'm glad I don't play violin tbh
    'Cello>Viola>Violin.
    Seriously.
    Just like Bassoon>Saxophone>Oboe>Clarinet> >>>>>>> Flute.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doublereedfreak)
    'Cello>Viola>Violin.
    Seriously.
    Just like Bassoon>Saxophone>Oboe>Clarinet> >>>>>>> Flute.
    :yep:

Violin and flute are like the 'popular' instruments- at my school there are loads of violins, flutes and clarinets and in the senior orchestra there are 3 cellos. Also the orchestra I go to on a Saturday has a grand total of 4 in their cello section :p: Just seems not as many people play it for some reason.

ReputationRep:

Violin and flute are like the 'popular' instruments- at my school there are loads of violins, flutes and clarinets and in the senior orchestra there are 3 cellos. Also the orchestra I go to on a Saturday has a grand total of 4 in their cello section :p: Just seems not as many people play it for some reason.
    I just find that most flutes really grate on me.
    Not to mention the fact that it's the only woodwind i can't play... :mad:
    I don't mind the violin it's the viola kicks it's ass.

ReputationRep:
    Just seems not as many people play it for some reason.
    That's because it's a big instrument, people get put off by that. All the big instruments have few players. bassoon, Double bass, cello, trombone, tuba. And most of the time, they are wayyy better

ReputationRep:
    I just find that most flutes really grate on me.
    Not to mention the fact that it's the only woodwind i can't play... :mad:
    I don't mind the violin it's the viola kicks it's ass.
    Wow- you play all woodwind minus flute? Do they differ much?

I've tried the violin but never the viola. Played the double bass at a Spring Concert once though. Think I'll stick with Cello :p:

ReputationRep:
    That's because it's a big instrument, people get put off by that. All the big instruments have few players. bassoon, Double bass, cello, trombone, tuba. And most of the time, they are wayyy better
    That's very true! They are a bit of a hassle to transport..

ReputationRep:
    Wow- you play all woodwind minus flute? Do they differ much?

I've tried the violin but never the viola. Played the double bass at a Spring Concert once though. Think I'll stick with Cello :p:
    Well the conventional ones; Oboe, clarinet, the saxes, bassoon and recorders. All at a grade 5 minimum standard and working to grade 8 oboe and sax and grade 6/7 bassoon The differ a lot but transfer quite quickly. Single reeds are easier than double reeds by far.

ReputationRep:
    Well the conventional ones; Oboe, clarinet, the saxes, bassoon and recorders. All at a grade 5 minimum standard and working to grade 8 oboe and sax and grade 6/7 bassoon The differ a lot but transfer quite quickly. Single reeds are easier than double reeds by far.
    Wow, that's impressive!!

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that's impressive!!
    Thank you I love picking up new instruments, but I've found that I don't like trying to buy them all
    I really want to pick up cello some day. I might starve myself once I go to uni and use the loans to buy one :p:

ReputationRep:
    Thank you I love picking up new instruments, but I've found that I don't like trying to buy them all
    I really want to pick up cello some day. I might starve myself once I go to uni and use the loans to buy one :p:
    Wish I could do that, but I really don't have the time right now. I'll stick with my 2 I think
    Haha, it would be well worth it :p:

ReputationRep:
    Wish I could do that, but I really don't have the time right now. I'll stick with my 2 I think
    Haha, it would be well worth it :p:
    It really would
    If I were to go back in time, I'd probably tell myself to learn 'cello and bassoon (favourites) and sax just because I'm good at it.
    Oh and piano, I should really have learnt piano :/

ReputationRep:
    It really would
    If I were to go back in time, I'd probably tell myself to learn 'cello and bassoon (favourites) and sax just because I'm good at it.
    Oh and piano, I should really have learnt piano :/
    Ah, going back in time would be great. I could make myself enjoy it more back then
    Yeah, piano's always good to have! I'm glad I learnt it.

ReputationRep:
    Piano is a good one to have, a lot of universities apparently look for it when applying for a degree course in music... wish I had taught it myself properly now. I can play the keyboard, but thats just the cop out version of the piano IMO.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, going back in time would be great. I could make myself enjoy it more back then
    Yeah, piano's always good to have! I'm glad I learnt it.
    I wish I could keep everything I know in my head now and transport my mind back to when I was like 7 so I could be a child prodigy :rofl:
    I would just like pick up a sax and be totally awesome sounds good. And waaaay more time to get good too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolsihboy)
    Piano is a good one to have, a lot of universities apparently look for it when applying for a degree course in music... wish I had taught it myself properly now. I can play the keyboard, but thats just the cop out version of the piano IMO.
    I know It's so unfair. I realise its verrry useful but not knowing piano doesnt make me less of a good music student. grrr. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I wish I could keep everything I know in my head now and transport my mind back to when I was like 7 so I could be a child prodigy :rofl:
    I would just like pick up a sax and be totally awesome sounds good. And waaaay more time to get good too!
    You'd be amazing now! Like super amazing :p:

ReputationRep:
    I know It's so unfair. I realise its verrry useful but not knowing piano doesnt make me less of a good music student. grrr. :mad:
    I never said it made anyone less of a good music student, was the :mad: directed at me? . Wish I could play the piano properly

I totally agree with you on the wishing I could go back to like age 7 or something. There was LOADS of free time then to get really good on an instrument, but it was wasted watching TV/playing in general. This goes for extra work in subjects at GCSE too, there was loads of time then, whereas at A level there is hardly any time to put in extra work...

ReputationRep:
    I think that having the piano is good, but not the be-all and end-all in music!

ReputationRep:
    You'd be amazing now! Like super amazing :p:
    *Dreams of all the possibilities*
    I could be like Diploma on like at least 3/4 instruments and the fact that I'm mainly B/A/A* in all my GCSEs (I'm yr 11) would mean it wouldn't get in the way of school while I grow up!
    Wow, I so wish that was possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolsihboy)
    I never said it made anyone less of a good music student, was the :mad: directed at me? . Wish I could play the piano properly

I totally agree with you on the wishing I could go back to like age 7 or something. There was LOADS of free time then to get really good on an instrument, but it was wasted watching TV/playing in general. This goes for extra work in subjects at GCSE too, there was loads of time then, whereas at A level there is hardly any time to put in extra work...
    Oh I wasnt directing anger at you! :eek: Just silly unis.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.