Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolsihboy)
    You start at grade 1
    there are 8 grades... Grade 8 being the highest.
    Throughout the grades, more and more scales have to be memorised, with (at least for clarinet) grade 8 being all scales and arpeggios.
    After Grade 8 (which is as far as most people go) There are diplomas...
    The diploma is more of a recital, with no scales or arpeggios.

To do any practical grade above grade 5, you need to sit a written theory exam at grade 5 level

Results: Fail. Pass. Merit. Distinction.
    Thats interesting, and cool.
    In the US, it varies by state... but where I live we have levels 1-6. Im past a level 6 cello

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nk9230)
    Thats interesting, and cool.
    In the US, it varies by state... but where I live we have levels 1-6. Im past a level 6 cello
    Nice
    As a general rule, Grade 5 approximately equals GCSE level and Grade 8 approximately equals A2 level.

Many universities request Grade 6 in a keyboard instrument, and Grade 8 in your main instrument.

Yes there are many books such as the AB guide to music theory (two books, pink and blue... VERY useful. Thats how I taught myself theory to grade 5 level)

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I’m Jared and I JUST joined TSR. I play Violin, Piano, and Cello all quite well . But recently I have fallen on my practicing. So much in fact that I would say that I was better a year ago then today. Has anyone else ever reached this point? I don’t want to give up... I just never feel like honing my skills. Any inspirations you can give?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaredSteinmetz)
    Hi, I’m Jared and I JUST joined TSR. I play Violin, Piano, and Cello all quite well . But recently I have fallen on my practicing. So much in fact that I would say that I was better a year ago then today. Has anyone else ever reached this point? I don’t want to give up... I just never feel like honing my skills. Any inspirations you can give?
    It's often worth trying to get into the music itself - listen wherever you can to classical music featuring your instruments. Especially very hard music, or extremely grandiose. It might seem a bit superficial, but it can inspire the sort of awe that gets you practising!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haeron)
    It's often worth trying to get into the music itself - listen wherever you can to classical music featuring your instruments. Especially very hard music, or extremely grandiose. It might seem a bit superficial, but it can inspire the sort of awe that gets you practising!
    Wow, that is a good idea, thank you very much.

ReputationRep:
    Haii fellow musicians :hi:

Can someone recommend me interesting piano pieces to play, that are - not depressing/sad/melancholy and -quite popular (ie would be recognizable by most people with a good, overall intellectual knowledge ? :p: I'm doing my grade 7 exam in march, so i'm more than happy to try out any 'challenging' pieces. Thank you!

ooh, would anyone have a copy of Moonriver by Hanry Mancini? It would usually be one of the pieces in a compilation.. which is just annoying because i have enough already, and cant spend another 15 pounds on a copy book :pinch: Does anyone know where i can perhaps download it from? even if i have to pay? or if anyone has a copy and doesn't mind sharing?:p: of course if there are any of my piano pieces that you'd like, i'm more than happy to copy-trade

ReputationRep:
    :bump:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by time.to.dance)

Can someone recommend me interesting piano pieces to play, that are - not depressing/sad/melancholy and -quite popular (ie would be recognizable by most people with a good, overall intellectual knowledge ? :p: I'm doing my grade 7 exam in march, so i'm more than happy to try out any 'challenging' pieces. Thank you!

ooh, would anyone have a copy of Moonriver by Hanry Mancini? It would usually be one of the pieces in a compilation.. which is just annoying because i have enough already, and cant spend another 15 pounds on a copy book :pinch: Does anyone know where i can perhaps download it from? even if i have to pay? or if anyone has a copy and doesn't mind sharing?:p: of course if there are any of my piano pieces that you'd like, i'm more than happy to copy-trade
    Well, interesting challenging piano peices- there are the works for Piano by Aaron Jay Kernis. Some are more conventional than others :p:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO20Wd8wOIA

ReputationRep:
    Well, interesting challenging piano peices- there are the works for Piano by Aaron Jay Kernis. Some are more conventional than others :p:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO20Wd8wOIA
    Wooaa that is :snow::snow::snow::snow:ing amazing!! :zomg:
    I'm scared to damage my piano in any way though I've had it for ten years now and attempting to play some notes (or 'beat' some notes) with my foot is :nooo: :p:
    He plays oh so incredibly well :love: wow.

Thanks for the suggestion

ReputationRep:
    Wooaa that is :snow::snow::snow::snow:ing amazing!! :zomg:
    I'm scared to damage my piano in any way though I've had it for ten years now and attempting to play some notes (or 'beat' some notes) with my foot is :nooo: :p:
    He plays oh so incredibly well :love: wow.

Thanks for the suggestion

I LOVE Aaron Jay Kernis- his compositions are deliciously modern. He has this tone poem/ orchestral piece that is amazing called New Era Dance- it has police whistles, sirens everything! It makes you feel like you are in a big city

Anywho, This Etude is mega difficult to pull off- gotta have the leg flexibility hahha. I cant even play it- my piano would fall apart. Only a Steinway would do :p:

ReputationRep:

I LOVE Aaron Jay Kernis- his compositions are deliciously modern. He has this tone poem/ orchestral piece that is amazing called New Era Dance- it has police whistles, sirens everything! It makes you feel like you are in a big city

Anywho, This Etude is mega difficult to pull off- gotta have the leg flexibility hahha. I cant even play it- my piano would fall apart. Only a Steinway would do :p:
    :lol: very well phrased there!
    :laugh: his pieces are cool :danceboy:
    I'm definitely off to research his pieces online as soon as physics revision ends :awesome:
    What grade are you on piano?

ReputationRep:
    :lol: very well phrased there!
    :laugh: his pieces are cool :danceboy:
    I'm definitely off to research his pieces online as soon as physics revision ends :awesome:
    What grade are you on piano?
    Im not sure actually. The system in the US is different, but I have been playing Chopin for the past 3 years- Nocturnes, Waltzes. Everything Chopin :woo: :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure actually. The system in the US is different, but I have been playing Chopin for the past 3 years- Nocturnes, Waltzes. Everything Chopin :woo: :yep:
    Awwh! i don't play much Chopin :erm: really should start re-learning some of his nocturnes though.. pplz used to likez them :p: Generally preferred by any audience.
    I play an insane amount of Bach though. I forget any issues/problems that i have, when i play Bach and just feel like my mind is wandering around puffy clouds and pure heaven :daydreaming: :p:

ReputationRep:
    Awwh! i don't play much Chopin :erm: really should start re-learning some of his nocturnes though.. pplz used to likez them :p: Generally preferred by any audience.
    I play an insane amount of Bach though. I forget any issues/problems that i have, when i play Bach and just feel like my mind is wandering around puffy clouds and pure heaven :daydreaming: :p:
    I want to play more Bach! I need better counterpoint skills.

ReputationRep:

Ah, there are too many to know where to start. Can you name a couple of your favourite pieces?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John05)
    Ah, there are too many to know where to start. Can you name a couple of your favourite pieces?
    :wavey:
    Well past couple of years i have been following the music pieces for the grade only. So I don't really have that many of 'favourite pieces' :o:
    Pieces from musicals of course are of an interest.. I'm not much of jazzy piano person, so i'd like to challenge that and not stick to good, old favourite Bach :p: Really any suggestions of pieces to start me off would be really appreciated! Thanks :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Random blurb-

Does this sound like a wild concert or no?

The youth Orchestra I am in is playing The Romeo and Juliette Fantasy Overture, Overture to Hansel and Gretel and Shosti 1.

ReputationRep:
    Random blurb-

Does this sound like a wild concert or no?

The youth Orchestra I am in is playing The Romeo and Juliette Fantasy Overture, Overture to Hansel and Gretel and Shosti 1.
    I'm jealous :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indeed.)
    I'm jealous :p:
    Why lol?
    Its all so much work, but a delicious amount of work.

:p:

ReputationRep:
    Why lol?
    Its all so much work, but a delicious amount of work.

:p:
    Because my youth orchestra usually plays about one decent piece per term, you have 3 good pieces right there! :yes:

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.