Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indeed.)
    Because my youth orchestra usually plays about one decent piece per term, you have 3 good pieces right there! :yes:
    Move up these ways and join the Liverpool Phil Youth Orchestra. We usually get good pieces. We're doing some Chopin piano concerto this concert young persons guide to the orchestra (WOOP WOOP VARIATION H [you'll see why that's good in a minute]) and some other piece i can't remember.

On the instrument side of things I play Double Bass (Diploma) and Trumpet (8)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indeed.)
    Because my youth orchestra usually plays about one decent piece per term, you have 3 good pieces right there! :yes:
    haha thanks.
    I cant wait for our Carnegie Hall concert- we are playing Scheherazade again, and pairing it with Romeo and Juliette.

ReputationRep:
    I have a question!

I would like to arrange some of the Bach Inventions for string trio (2 violin and Cello)- What factors would I have to consider?

ReputationRep:
    I have a 4 hour orchestra recital tomoz. BLAH

ReputationRep:
    Can't believe i've only just found this..

Trumpet
    Only the one instrument sadly although i do a bit of singing and piano when needed!

On the youth orchetsras thing, mine does a 5 days residential and then does about 7/8 pieces at a concert at the end! It's ridiculously hard work..

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I want to learn how to play the accordion, but I have no experience in playing instruments properly (apart from the awful compulsory lessons in school). Is it a very hard instrument to learn? How should I go about it, considering I don't have £1000/month to fork out for a teacher?

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I play both classical and electric guitar.. I haven't taken any grades, I play by ear...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slothuus)
    Hey guys, I want to learn how to play the accordion, but I have no experience in playing instruments properly (apart from the awful compulsory lessons in school). Is it a very hard instrument to learn? How should I go about it, considering I don't have £1000/month to fork out for a teacher?
    Do you own an accordion, or have access to one (maybe through school or a local music service etc.??). Personally I have those "awful music lessons in school" and seen as they're free, and you don't have to travel anywhere out of the way to have them, I quite like them. I suppose it depends on your teacher though really, mine are really nice and I think I've been lucky!

I know there's a girl at our school who got lent an accordion and given a teach-yourself book and left to get on with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolsihboy)
    Do you own an accordion, or have access to one (maybe through school or a local music service etc.??). Personally I have those "awful music lessons in school" and seen as they're free, and you don't have to travel anywhere out of the way to have them, I quite like them. I suppose it depends on your teacher though really, mine are really nice and I think I've been lucky!

I know there's a girl at our school who got lent an accordion and given a teach-yourself book and left to get on with it
    I don't own an accordion, unfortunately. Since I'm at university, there are no classes at school or similar - I'm in central London, however, so I'm hoping to find somewhere.

Back home we have these government-subsidised evening classes (not just music, basically anything). Is there a similar system in Britain?

ReputationRep:
    Never knew this society existed!

I've been playing the piano since I was a young'un, but I missed it sorely at uni so I bought myself an acoustic and taught myself how to play it...since then I've fallen in love with the instrument and have expanded to playing electric and bass.

I've always wanted to play the saxophone though, such a sexy instrument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Socialite)
    Never knew this society existed!

I've been playing the piano since I was a young'un, but I missed it sorely at uni so I bought myself an acoustic and taught myself how to play it...since then I've fallen in love with the instrument and have expanded to playing electric and bass.

I've always wanted to play the saxophone though, such a sexy instrument.
    Hmm, its got everything going for it. It's shiny, it's curved, it's one letter away from sexophone. It's yet to help me pull though :rolleyes:

Take it up, if you're musically minded already, then it should be easy to get to grips with.

ReputationRep:
    Joining in with the other recent posts, only just found this thread lol

play guitar, have done for 6 years

ReputationRep:
    Ack!! I officially an violinist but I can also play piano, flute and a bit of recorder. I'm still sort of confused about a lot of thigs as in my country, you don't get much classical music resource.

ReputationRep:
    Hey hey, I'm mainly a guitarist, and have been for about six, maybe seven years now and have got my Grade 8 in it. It'll be my instrument for the music courses I'm applying to.

I also play tenor saxophone, bass guitar, alto saxophone and sing, along with starting piano again. I'm definitely more of a jazz and heavy metal person (I know it's a weird mix hehe), but I listen and try to play to anything and everything. So yeah, hi (:

ReputationRep:
    Hello, fellow musical people! *waves*

I was a recorder player when i was 5, but started clarinet at 7, and alto sax at 10 and got grade 8 on them in 2007 and 2009 (distinctions! ), and most recently jazz sax 8 at a merit this year.

I play tenor sax too! It's so awesome! Have played a bit of baritone sax, bass clarinet, and cello (did grade 2 :woo: :lol: ), having piano lessons atm so i think i'm around grade 4 standard on piano
    also having a few lessons on flute, to become a tripler in musicals

I love to SINGGGG and did grade 5 musical theatre in 2009 (distinction ) and am doing grade 8 this year O_O

Hello guys, being an Entertainment mod and now a social group mod, just checking that you're all sorted/happy in here for your group leader and deputy leaders? Any of the leaders now confused as to how to manage the group? If the leader/a deputy could quote or PM me, that'd be great. If people think there aren't any leaders that are still active and are desperate to lead the soc, please quote me too. Thanks.

(Original post by mr_jr)
    :wavey:
    Hi, I've been going round the social groups since the upgrade making sure all the leaders are active and are happy with their groups. I notice you haven't spotted my previous post about this and I'm just making sure that you're still happy to lead the group? If not, you can use the transfer request button on the main group page to pass it over to anybody willing.

Thanks,
    CS

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone I play piano (self taught, grade 4ish standard) I also can carry a tune on the guitar and bass. I taught myself to play chromatic harmonica because my hero Stevie Wonder plays too :P It's quite hard to master but I'm getting there. Plus I also have loads of percussion instruments lying around my room for when I record on Cubase (bongos etc).

Anyone else feel that they live amongst a small musical instrument shop? :P

ReputationRep:
    Harp - grade 3
    Piano - grade 5
    Theory - grade 5
    Singing - grade 6
    Drum kit - grade 6
    Xylophone and snare drum - taking grade 8 spring 2011

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr_jr)
    This is a society of Musicians. You are more than welcome to join provided that you are a musician(Yes, That that includes singers). We have a wide variety of musicians from guitarists *bows* to pianists, to saxophonists to, I think there are a couple of Chellists about too. Whatever you play, you can almost guarantee you wont be the only one here

Be a part of the musicians society, one of the biggest societies on TSR by following this link!
    http://thestudentroom.co.uk/socs.php?do=join&socid=23

I Play guitar bass and whatnont. Since i never really updated this member list and it got pretty far backtracked, ill just keep a count

CURRENT MEMBER COUNT : 320 :party::party:
    First Society to 100 members
    I play the drums so far done my grade 6, so i guess i count as a musician?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.