Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Haven't you noticed that basically everything bad that happens in the world is down to religion? Make you wonder why bother being religious?

ReputationRep:
    I am an atheist but would by no means put all problems in the world down to religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tonight Matthew)
    I am an atheist but would by no means put all problems in the world down to religion.
    OK not all problems but you have to admit, majority of them are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight Talker)
    OK not all problems but you have to admit, majority of them are.
    What problems are you referring to? And could you explain how you feel they're due to religion?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, damn those religious types for starting WW1, WW2, Vietnam, and the Korean war. Wait, what?

ReputationRep:
    Haven't you noticed that basically everything bad that happens in the world is down to religion? Make you wonder why bother being religious?
    No, not everything 'bad' that happens in the world is due to religion. This is far too simplistic a view. I'm not sure if I should go into this any further, as your original post seems more like a statement than a discussion starter. I think I'll stop now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ferret_messiah)
    Yeah, damn those religious types for starting WW1, WW2, Vietnam, and the Korean war. Wait, what?
    Not to mention the Communists...I mean-religion being the opiate of the people.....oh wait.... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    What problems are you referring to? And could you explain how you feel they're due to religion?
    I'm not referring to specific events, I'm merely stating that most of them come down to religion in the end. It seems some people are so incredibly religious, so much so they'll fight to defend it. They'll even kill themselves to make a point, look at all the suicide bombers. I just don't get it to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not referring to specific events, I'm merely stating that most of them come down to religion in the end. It seems some people are so incredibly religious, so much so they'll fight to defend it. They'll even kill themselves to make a point, look at all the suicide bombers. I just don't get it to be honest.
    What are you referring to as "them" though? Please be a bit more specific as to what these problems are. If you're able to attribute blame to them, surely you can say what they are?

ReputationRep:

Now please maybe we could get back to the issue in hand, and not my spelling? Thank you.
    Agreed - so what problems are you specifically referring to? Give me two or three examples?

ReputationRep:
    Agreed - so what problems are you specifically referring to? Give me two or three examples?
    I already said I wasn't referring to a specific example, just in general. But I will give you one then, though you'll probably disagree. 9/11, suicide hijacking. Was found to be down to religious beliefs. I just don't understand why they go to such extremes. I'm not after a fight, I'm hoping people might be able to educate me as to why they go so far for their religion. Do not take the mick out of me admitting I wish to be taught about this Tonight Matthew, I am being sincere, I don't know enough about it and want to expand my knowledge thats all.

ReputationRep:
    I already said I wasn't referring to a specific example, just in general. But I will give you one then, though you'll probably disagree. 9/11, suicide hijacking. Was found to be down to religious beliefs. I just don't understand why they go to such extremes. I'm not after a fight, I'm hoping people might be able to educate me as to why they go so far for their religion. Do not take the mick out of me admitting I wish to be taught about this Tonight Matthew, I am being sincere, I don't know enough about it and want to expand my knowledge thats all.
    That's fine.

But if you're going to ask questions like: "Haven't you noticed that basically everything bad that happens in the world is down to religion?", you have to be able to give specific examples to back up your thinking - what things, how they're bad, and why they're down to religion.

As you aren't able do that, I see no reason to agree with the premise of your question.

ReputationRep:
    That's fine.

But if you're going to ask questions like: "Haven't you noticed that basically everything bad that happens in the world is down to religion?", you have to be able to give specific examples to back up your thinking - what things, how they're bad, and why they're down to religion.

As you aren't able do that, I see no reason to agree with the premise of your question.
    I just gave you a specific example, 9/11. I don't expect you to agree.

ReputationRep:
    I just gave you a specific example, 9/11.
    But you said, "Haven't you noticed that basically everything bad that happens in the world is down to religion?", 9/11 does not come close to qualifying as "basically everything bad that happens in the world".

ReputationRep:
    But you said, "Haven't you noticed that basically everything bad that happens in the world is down to religion?", 9/11 does not come close to qualifying as "basically everything bad that happens in the world".
    OK so if I change my title you'll co-operate more?!

ReputationRep:
    OK so if I change my title you'll co-operate more?!
    Well, rephrase your question for me and we'll see. As it stands, the only argument you've provided enough evidence for is "9/11 caused by religion".. and even that isn't quite so simple.

ReputationRep:
    Well, rephrase your question for me and we'll see. As it stands, the only argument you've provided enough evidence for is "9/11 caused by religion".. and even that isn't quite so simple.
    OK I will but only cos I really do want to understand...

Do you think that the majority of terrorist acts or similar is down to religion. The 9/11 suicide hi-jacking and the recent London bombings appear to have been linked with religious beliefs, although extreme, these beliefs are still practised. Why would you wish to be so religious if it means injuring and killing many innocent people? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think that the majority of terrorist acts or similar is down to religion. The 9/11 suicide hi-jacking and the recent London bombings appear to have been linked with religious beliefs, although extreme, these beliefs are still practised.
    I think this specific brand of terrorist may try to use religion as a justification for their actions, but I do not believe that their religoin compels them to act in this way. After all, it's by no means a majority of Muslims who do these things. Then we have other types of terrorism done in the name of totally different justifcations; ETA / nationalism for example.

Why would you wish to be so religious if it means injuring and killing many innocent people?
    It doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    Civil wars are usually caused by a combination of self-interest of elites and the identity of the people they are trying to influence. Since religion is a key aspect of most people's identity (especially in the third world), it's fair to say that religion plays a significant role in sparking off civil wars.

ReputationRep:
    Wars are fought over strong beliefs. Religious people have strong beliefs over religion, hence religion will cause war.

The irony lies in that something that is supposed to bring so much joy and happiness also causes much death and destruction.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.