Turn on thread page Beta

Is "Shameless" an accurate representation of British working classes today? watch

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't quite sure where to post this, since I'm usually in D&D its here, though feel free to move it if somewhere else is more appropriate.

I was watching "Shameless" last night, and the thought occured to me. Discuss.

ReputationRep:
    Some aspects of it. The same could be said of all class groups though.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, many wc people are scum. Many drink too much, smoke, steal, and lack ambition.

ReputationRep:
    I think Shameless is exaggerated abit! There might be a few people who are like that but personally I don't know anyone like that. I think Shameless is brill!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by objectivism)
    Yes, many wc people are scum. Many drink too much, smoke, steal, and lack ambition.
    I believe that these qualities are also often found amongst the upper classes as well.

ReputationRep:
    So it's only wc that drink too much and smoke hmmm :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tonight Matthew)
    I believe that these qualities are also often found amongst the upper classes as well.
    I totally agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carla18)
    So it's only wc that drink too much and smoke hmmm :rolleyes:

Propotionally they drink and smoke too much

ReputationRep:
    Have you met all of them then?

ReputationRep:
    I love shameless, it's genius. Bearing in mind I haven't been there for a decade, it's exactly the same as South Manchester was back then, not even exaggerating that's exactly how it was. They've really captured it well.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever! As usual people are negatively stereotyping the wc.

ReputationRep:

I didn't say all were like this merely many. Of course some upper classes smoke too much, lack ambition etc. But this is by no means an epidemic in those classes. Many young mc people drink smoke etc but when time comes to move on they do and make something of themselves. Its nothing genetic, its the circumstances of wc people - attending bog standard comps (can;t afford provate or move to the catchment areas of good comps because its too expensive), live on council estates which are structurally havens for crimes etc

ReputationRep:
    Have you met all of them then?

Its a well known fact which studies have shown again and again. I'm surprised you are not aware of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carla18)
    Whatever! As usual people are negatively stereotyping the wc.
    You are the the one who opposes the wc. Unless you face the reality we can't improve things.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say all were like this merely many. Of course some upper classes smoke too much, lack ambition etc. But this is by no means an epidemic in those classes. Many young mc people drink smoke etc but when time comes to move on they do and make something of themselves. Its nothing genetic, its the circumstances of wc people - attending bog standard comps (can;t afford provate or move to the catchment areas of good comps because its too expensive), live on council estates which are structurally havens for crimes etc
    Consequently, as by your own admission it's not really their fault - why do you refer to them as 'scum'?

ReputationRep:
    Consequently, as by your own admission it's not really their fault - why do you refer to them as 'scum'?

No it is their fault as even though things arn't wonderful they have let these things act as an excuse. For example 'its not my fault i'm a criminal, i went to a bad school' etc.

ReputationRep:
    The majority of people i know have a lot of ambition they certainly are not lacking. They actually want to make something of themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear, one week Prince Charles is slaughtered for saying that children are too ambitious, and now you're complaining that there isn't enough ambition!

With regard to the thread topic, i haven't seen 'Shameless' so i don't have a clue, but going by the very name of the programme, i expect it is probably a slightly inaccurate stereotype.

ReputationRep:
    You are the the one who opposes the wc. Unless you face the reality we can't improve things.
    Right i oppose wc and i am wc hmm yeah! What are you talking about and what are we trying to improve you have slightly lost me?

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear, one week Prince Charles is slaughtered for saying that children are too ambitious, and now you're complaining that there isn't enough ambition!
    Since when did i say i agree with Prince Charles?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.