Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I don't get it. It has an awful stigma to it and quite a lot of the British cuisine I would like to eat personally.

Here are some examples of the British cuisine:

The big breakfast
    spotted ****
    apple crumble
    chocolate
    fish and chips
    Pie and Mash with parsley liquor
    flapjacks
    yorkshire pudding
    bangers and mash
    plughman's wedge
    shepherd's pie
    cottage pie
    hotpot
    toad in the hole
    bubble and squeak
    bangers and mash
    Lancashire hotpot
    black pudding
    Cumberland sausage
    apple sauce
    Apricot Fool
    Bacon Knuckle
    bread pudding
    bread and butter pudding
    cauliflower cheese
    chicken kiev (unsure on this one)
    chocolate mousse
    scotch eggs
    Cornish pasties
    sandwiches
    trifle (yes there is the American version which uses cream and custard but we have our own)
    haggis

If there are any errors regarding whether they are British or not let me know. Also I'm sure there are plenty of others too. I personally don't like all the above but I can't say that the reputation of British food is justified.

Any views?

ReputationRep:
    You forgot the nation's favourite - Chicken Tikka Masala..

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that there's anything wrong with it in itself, it's just that when you compare it with the food of some other countries it doesn't seem great in comparison. For instance, French bakeries are loaded with the most amazing cakes and breads and all kinds of yummy things, so when you put a British bakery next to it, it would seem rather inadequate in comparison!

ReputationRep:
    So when you think of French food all you do is think of those sweet things? And French bread isn't *that* great, I used to work as a baker myself you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Here are some examples of the British cuisine:

The big breakfast
    spotted ****
    apple crumble
    chocolate
    fish and chips
    Pie and Mash with parsley liquor
    flapjacks
    yorkshire pudding
    bangers and mash
    plughman's wedge
    shepherd's pie
    cottage pie
    hotpot
    toad in the hole
    bubble and squeak
    bangers and mash
    Lancashire hotpot
    black pudding
    Cumberland sausage
    apple sauce
    Apricot Fool
    Bacon Knuckle
    bread pudding
    bread and butter pudding
    cauliflower cheese
    chicken kiev (unsure on this one)
    chocolate mousse
    scotch eggs
    Cornish pasties
    sandwiches
    trifle (yes there is the American version which uses cream and custard but we have our own)
    haggis
    Yummy

All the best food comes out of Yorkshire...
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    What's wrong with british food?

NOTHING!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    So when you think of French food all you do is think of those sweet things? And French bread isn't *that* great, I used to work as a baker myself you know.
    Not just the sweet things... my bf is French and in May we went to the christening of his two nephews, and the meal that was laid on afterwards.... wow!!

ReputationRep:
    I like some British food, I'll eat most of it but I think in general it's quite bland in comparison to other international cuisines. I don't like the fact that British food is often very stodgy and high in fat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_roadkill)
    I like some British food, I'll eat most of it but I think in general it's quite bland in comparison to other international cuisines. I don't like the fact that British food is often very stodgy and high in fat.
    :dito:

ReputationRep:
    Nothing exceptional but no worse than Polish, German, Spanish, Scandinavian food, if not better in certain respects...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_roadkill)
    No way!

Last time i was in America, the chef made us a Roast dinner, and he said it was one of the most tasty meals he had ever had...

hehe, now the Americans know how to eat! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eeyore)
    Not just the sweet things... my bf is French and in May we went to the christening of his two nephews, and the meal that was laid on afterwards.... wow!!
    You have seriously bad taste...especially in men.

ReputationRep:
    Eat French dinner, get trashed on French wine, eat British food the next morning when you've got a hangover.....mmmmm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    You have seriously bad taste...especially in men.
    Thanks a lot :s:
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Beekeeper)
    Yummy

All the best food comes out of Yorkshire...
    It sure does...

...I think parkin, the sticky, syrupy.treacley ginger cake also comes form Yorkshire.

I love Britsh food, I used to eat a lot more of it than I do now when I used to eat more meat...it's quite hard to find meat free stubstitues to make some British food or they don't make ready meals or serve meat free British meals in restaurants A lot of people seem to think that veggie food hjas to consist of mediterranian vegetables or pasta dishes. Why can't we get some more good, wholesome, meat free British style dishes?

ReputationRep:
    everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beekeeper)
    No way!

Last time i was in America, the chef made us a Roast dinner, and he said it was one of the most tasty meals he had ever had...

hehe, now the Americans know how to eat! :p:
    Yes but British food is very high in fat, in cannot be denied. It's rich and calorie laced! The majority of the foods NDGAARONDI listed above are really high in fat!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eeyore)
    Thanks a lot :s:
    Glad I could help.

ReputationRep:
    Where are you from, Random one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    Glad I could help.
    How have you helped, exactly?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.