Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ylime)
    Goodness. Just reading that list made me sick to my stomach.

Sorry, guys, but of course everyone loves the food they've grown up on.

My experience with British food is that it is bland and often overcooked and soggy, meat especially. It's edible (well, most of it), as far as I'm concerned, but unpleasant.
    But American food is hardly the world's greatest cuisine! And you have everything so sickeningly sweet over there. Chocolate, apple pie.....you name it. It's so sweet you can only eat a tiny bit.

And overcooked? Surely that depends on who is cooking it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susiemakemeblue)
    But American food is hardly the world's greatest cuisine! And you have everything so sickeningly sweet over there. Chocolate, apple pie.....you name it. It's so sweet you can only eat a tiny bit.
    Yes, but luckily, I never said it was. I never even said it was better than British food.

Our chocolate is no sweeter than your chocolate.

And overcooked? Surely that depends on who is cooking it.
    Well, to some extent, but I think that in general the British cook food longer than Americans do. My experience with meat in the UK is that it's all so soft it's practically falling apart, and that's certainly not the case here.

ReputationRep:
    british food is too bland, they need to use spices apart from using only salt and peper. they need some saffron, tumeric, oregano, basil, etc..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bricktops)
    british food is too bland, they need to use spices apart from using only salt and peper. they need some saffron, tumeric, oregano, basil, etc..
    True. I like a lot of British food but overall, it tastes much blander than other countries such as French and Italian. Overall the best is Italian and Indian

Generally British sweet stuff is much better than non-sweet stuff IMO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ylime)
    Yes, but luckily, I never said it was. I never even said it was better than British food.

Our chocolate is no sweeter than your chocolate.

Well, to some extent, but I think that in general the British cook food longer than Americans do. My experience with meat in the UK is that it's all so soft it's practically falling apart, and that's certainly not the case here.
    My family don't overcook meat - in fact we have it rare. Most other people I know don't overcook their meat either. Restaurants ask you how you'd like it cooked, so....

And YES, your chocolate is much, much, much sweeter than ours!

*remembers Hershey's*

Never tasted anything like it in my whole life. Yeuch.

ReputationRep:
    haha i used to think that fish and chips was actually fish and crisps and i would always think that was really gross, cause i hate crisps. cause here, chips=crisps and french fries=chips. i actually thought it was that way until like september until i realized that it was english food and it didn't actually mean fish with crisps...it meant fish with french fries! haha...this is a pretty confusing reply...but whatever

ReputationRep:
    you've just got to look at that list to realise how fattening it all is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beekeeper)
    Yummy

All the best food comes out of Yorkshire...
    And the best men!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    And the best men!
    whatever happened to the Pasty eating West Countree Farmers from t'West?

ReputationRep:
    My family don't overcook meat - in fact we have it rare. Most other people I know don't overcook their meat either. Restaurants ask you how you'd like it cooked, so....

And YES, your chocolate is much, much, much sweeter than ours!

*remembers Hershey's*

Never tasted anything like it in my whole life. Yeuch.
    Eh. Suit yourself. I've never known anyone to complain that our chocolate is too sweet - waxy, yes, but too sweet isn't on the list. I do like Cadbury's etc better than Hershey's, but I still like Hershey's and always will just because it tastes like home.

Dairy Milk: 56g sugar/100g chocolate.
    Hershey's: 25g sugar/43g chocolate, about 58g/100g, so the difference is really negligible. Not "much much much."

And good for you, rare meat. I'm not going to argue. I'm speaking from my experience in both the US and UK, restaurants and homes. Comparatively.

ReputationRep:
    being a british person, i have no problem with british food as its what i was brought up on.

likewise italians might prefer italian foods and recipes, and french people might like foods more local to them etc etc

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget those pancakes piled on top of each other smothered in syrup.... :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I think the US depends too much on sweetness and salt.

UK food can lack in spices.

Let's just stick to Moroccan!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ...Sprigged...)
    I think the US depends too much on sweetness and salt.
    It makes the food taste better!!

ReputationRep:
    british food is alright... but i dont eat them because im used to eastern asian cousines. I eat pizza, and sandwiches though

ReputationRep:
    mm i think the "blandness" of british food comes from, not being able to grow the ingredients in the olden days (tomatoes, peppers, olives, some spices - ive given these examples becasue i was brought up eating mediterranian couisine) so the cooking culture is a wee bland. i mean stil the tomatoes I buy from the supermarket tastes of nothingness and is just tasteless.

but all in all its good honest filing food. I mean cornish pasties...or a good old sunday roast...mmmmm...very eadable me thinks...
    but as were getting more multicultural-er people's diets are changing so..itll end up being a good old roast with...curry on :eek: :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prad)
    You forgot the nation's favourite - Chicken Tikka Masala..

everything british rocks... The food is great.. (some of it)...

ReputationRep:
    but as were getting more multicultural-er people's diets are changing so..itll end up being a good old roast with...curry on
    mmmmMMMMmmmmm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Random one)
    everything.
    Please try to justify that comment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_roadkill)
    American cuisine: - fried chicken, pancakes, cookies, meatloaf, key lime pie, banoffee pie, olivia cheesecake...
    Since when have pancakes been an example of American cuisine? We have a much longer history of eating pancakes than America does.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2005
Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.