Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Britain is famous for its summer fruits (strawberries, raspberries, redcurrants, blackcurrants, loganberries etc.). Hence the typically British pudding, summer pudding, which incidently isn't stodgy at all - most of it is fruit, and there's no pastry.

And how could no-one have mentioned the gorgeous lardy cake??? It doesn't sound very nice from the title, but I can guarantee, it is absolute heaven, particularly when heated up. It's a kind of bun loaf with a sticky toffee-type topping. You can buy it in the Oxford covered market, but I don't know about anywhere else.

I'd definitely say that Britain has a well-deserved reputation for excellence in puddings.

ReputationRep:
    I love foreign food but you cant beat a home cooked roast dinner from your mam can ya!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not British but these are the things I like:
    apple crumble minus the apple :rolleyes:
    chocolate (mousse)
    fish and chips
    Yorkshire pudding
    toad in the hole
    Cumberland sausage
    bread and butter pudding
    Cornish pasty
    haggis :cool:

Where is rice pudding on the list??? Or is it not British??? :confused:

Also, I thought shepherd's pir = cottage pie?
    And what is spotted ****??? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    What about all the native British cheeses and sausages? There's a huge amount of different kinds!
    Also. what about all these? Here's a list;

Christmas pudding
    Rum butter
    mince pies (homemade ones are the best; shop bought ones are not as good)
    Apple/apple and blackberry crumble
    toffee apples
    Simnel cakes
    Hot cross buns
    Welshcakes
    Bara brith
    porridge
    Dundee cake
    Stew and dumplings
    Welsh rarebit
    pancakes (as Shrove Tuesday)
    kippers
    Custard (creme anglaise)
    Bakewell tarts
    Eccles cakes
    Clotted cream
    Crumpets
    English muffins
    Saffron bread

ReputationRep:
    ARRRRRRRrr bakewell tarts!!! How could I have possibly forgotten those!!!!!!! I quite like porridge too :-P

Don't really like mincepies or Chirstmas puddings... Bit too sweet for me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HistoryStudent)
    What about all the native British cheeses and sausages? There's a huge amount of different kinds!
    Also. what about all these? Here's a list;

Christmas pudding
    Rum butter
    mince pies (homemade ones are the best; shop bought ones are not as good)
    Apple/apple and blackberry crumble
    toffee apples
    Simnel cakes
    Hot cross buns
    Welshcakes
    Bara brith
    porridge
    Dundee cake
    Stew and dumplings
    Welsh rarebit
    pancakes (as Shrove Tuesday)
    kippers
    Custard (creme anglaise)
    Bakewell tarts
    Eccles cakes
    Clotted cream
    Crumpets
    English muffins
    Saffron bread
    ow my god..i want em all...now...im just on the brink of starvation...

oooo theres also curd tarts...ow theyre soo yum yum...

oo by the way..who invented gravy? us or the french? or was it a combined effort..like we invented it but..french improved it..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocoVet)
    Yep, as far as I know it's British!

Shepherd's pie - made with minced lamb
    Cottage pie - made with minced beef

Spotted **** is a traditional steamed pudding with currants/raisins in it.

ReputationRep:
    Do we know if the Brits invented Cider?

A worthy creation, if ever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)

A worthy creation, if ever
    I think we did. Somerset is famous for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HistoryStudent)
    I think we did. Somerset is famous for it!
    ahhh somerset

Blackthorn Cider is amazing... along with all our other apple related products
    Apparently at our local annual agricultural shows, we have more than 169 types of cider on offer, and dozens of different cheeses as well!

We must be really far ahead on both fronts

And I agree our puddings are delicious!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    ahhh somerset

Blackthorn Cider is amazing... along with all our other apple related products
    Apparently at our local annual agricultural shows, we have more than 169 types of cider on offer, and dozens of different cheeses as well!

We must be really far ahead on both fronts

And I agree our puddings are delicious!
    Mmmmm cheese with crackers and cider! I foresee what I'll be ahving for lunch :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    Yes we certainly did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Don't forget those pancakes piled on top of each other smothered in syrup.... :eek:
    served with sausages too. Blueberry pancakes and sausages served with maple syrup... quite nice once you get used to it but probably the most fattening breakfast ever.

ReputationRep:
    Yes we certainly did.
    Are you sure about that? Brittany has a very strong tradition of making cider too. Not sure we can claim to have invented the stuff unless someone can prove me wrong and tell me the history of cider.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know it was British but had not come to my mind in starting the thread. It is British having looked it up now.

Shepherd's pie and cottage pie have one difference. Shepherd's pie is made with lamb mince whereas cottage pie is made with beef mince.

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mspotteddick.html
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2249273.stm

It's name may sound strange but if I went by names of foods then I would still have not touched some food I've already eaten, possibly doughtnuts.

Nickerbocker glory, despite its American, is a British dessert.

Must edit that list.

ReputationRep:
    Shepherd's pie and cottage pie have one difference. Shepherd's pie is made with lamb mince whereas cottage pie is made with beef mince.
    There's also Cumberland Pie which is a bit of a variant too. It's like a classier version of a Shepherd's Pie as it has more ingredients: onions, carrots... but I think the difference is a bit more complicated like that. I know nothing about cooking...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    Are you sure about that? Brittany has a very strong tradition of making cider too. Not sure we can claim to have invented the stuff unless someone can prove me wrong and tell me the history of cider.
    Alright then here's some research:

http://www.intellectbooks.com/on_lin...rs/history.htm

Only one website and not conclusive enough but it's certainly associated us than foreign places like Normandy. Besides, cider is probably one of our best drinks we make to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Blueberry pancakes and sausages served with maple syrup... quite nice once you get used to it but probably the most fattening breakfast ever.
    Also the most deadly in my case because I’m allergic to Blueberries! *stamps foot* But it’s not fair because they taste sooooooo good. :mad:

I personally love Belgian waffles with cream and jam… that has to be the best dessert ever, mmmmmmm.

Although I don’t think there's anything wrong with British cuisine, I can’t say that I adore it either. We generally (not by any means all) have a tendency to overcook our vegetables until they drain of any taste, vitamin, or colour so I assume that’s why a lot of other nations view our food as bland because they have such “crisp” food in comparison... if we just learn to lower the minutes then maybe their view will change.

Its just not for me, there’s nothing wrong with it in my opinion.

Although, I don’t think any country has us beaten on appetising smells, Sunday roasts have a very intoxicating aroma. *nods in attempt to persuade*

Mind you, it’s better than the US where I had a meal and even the bread was stodgy. :puke:

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, I quite like boiled vegetables to be honest. The brits definitely don't do enough to some vegetables though... eg loads of people hate boiled brussels sprouts, but I can testify that stir fried brussels sprouts (chinese style, with garlic and oil) is amazing!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know it was British but had not come to my mind in starting the thread. It is British having looked it up now.

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mspotteddick.html
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2249273.stm

It's name may sound strange but if I went by names of foods then I would still have not touched some food I've already eaten, possibly doughtnuts.

Nickerbocker glory, despite its American, is a British dessert.

Must edit that list.
    I'd answered that post already!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.