Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Economics
    Art
    English Literature
    Religious Studies

If anybody studies any of these subjects, can you please tell me roughly the amount of work you have to do (i.e compared to your other subjects), just so I can get a rough idea on what I may be expecting in terms of amount of work next year when I start AS Levels.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Well, English Lit is alot of reading if you want to get a high grade, but honestly, it isn't as bad as you think it's going to be. There are only 3 books (possibly four) that are compulsory and the rest will be critics extracts.
    The workload itself varies from amazingly intense to free winded do as you please, althouh there is a steady increase in workload as you near the end of the AS for exams and you ahve practice paper after practice paper.
    That there is no synoptic as well, means that the information is largely forgetable, except possibly a comparison paper, which only requires one bit of retained knowledge.

Religious Studies on the other hand, is one of the heaviest subjects second only to Classical Civ. The synoptic paper at A2 will combine everything from your course meaning that AS is crucial from the get go. Also, the workload is immense - 2 esays a week at least from my experience.
    It's not the hardest subject to do, but dependant upon your modules, there is either Philosophy, History or Psychology, there can be difficulties as each having their own problems: in Philosophy, it is so simple to lose marks by missing a point in an argument, and difficult to gain them without detailed knowledge; History is very blaggable, but ultimately can leave you unsure of your success - expect erratic grades; Psychology is a mixture of the two, involving studies akin to Philosophy's pedanticness and theories akin to History's blaggability.
    RS is not impossible though, but the monotony of the essays and teh same arguments over and over might hinder your interest and thus motivation to get a top grade.

Good luck, and I hope this helps. Just count your lucky stars that you aren't doing Classics as well, or else I think, like myself, a little part of you would wither away and die forever

ReputationRep:
    What exam boards did you study for RS and Eng Lit?

You helped a lot, thank you:p:!

ReputationRep:
    English lit isn't that much work really. It's by no means a doss and you do have to read around quite a bit to get good marks, ie background information, social and historical context and critical analysis of texts for coursework, but mostly the homework tends to be reading, summarising what you've read or writing an essay.

ReputationRep:
    R.S involves quite a lot of work, all i ever seemed to do was essay after essay after essay...
    but if you put in the work and stay on top of your studies its worth it. i took philosophy and ethics and its hugely rewarding and very very interesting (plus, now i know enough, i can blag my way through conversations using a "philosophical" argument!)

ReputationRep:
    lol, that probably means all my subjects are going to be very stressful then! (Economics, Eng lit, Art RS)

What boards did you do for RS?!! Did you Do Islam?

ReputationRep:
    Um, i cant honestly remember the board (which is quite terrible really, considering the exams were only a few weeks ago)...although OCR rings a bell

No, i didnt do Islam, i didnt actually get a choice, i had to do philosophy and ethics, although some of my friends in year 12 are doing ethics and buddism

ReputationRep:
    Economics all i got was past papers to do for homework, only did a bit of background reading during the AS. Theories seem to stick like glue for this subject so i did fairly little revision, i'm on for an A for the AS *fingers crossed*.

ReputationRep:
    art: art is quite alot of work because it's almost entirely coursework based. BUT it is good because usually the deadlines are a bit looser. i took english lit, history, french and art at AS and i found it really helpful that art didn't have strict deadlines, because i had so many essays from history and english. still, you have to be careful not to leave stuff to the last minute, or else you end up with one hell of a lot of work to do.

english literature: i imagine this varies from school to school. at my school we were supposed to do one essay per teacher per fortnight in each of our essay subjects (and we had two different english teachers). so i found that the bulk of english work was essay-writing - obviously, you have to read the texts, although much of this is covered in class-time, and it can be helpful to read around the topic you are studying, although you don't have to. as such, most of what you do is writing essays - this can be quite hard to get used to at first, and again whether or not it gets easier depends on what sort of person you are. personally, after a while i found myself getting used to the essay-writing, and by the end of this year i could reel off an A-grade 1500-2500 word essay in an evening. so it's not the easiest subject, but if you like writing, i reckon you'll get to grips with the workload after a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Random one)
    Economics
    Art
    English Literature
    Religious Studies

If anybody studies any of these subjects, can you please tell me roughly the amount of work you have to do (i.e compared to your other subjects), just so I can get a rough idea on what I may be expecting in terms of amount of work next year when I start AS Levels.

Thanks
    I found, when I began AS-Levels, that it's hard to know where to pitch yourself in terms of the work load because the boundaries are a bit more fluid than at GCSE where (at least where I was) there was more of the "you will do this essay and hand it in on Monday" etc. With some subjects, you might find that the amount you can research out of school is limitless, so it's where you want to set your own boundaries.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry about a late reply...

English was on Edexcel, and RS was on AQA. Not sure how this is going to help, but hey, take the info and ponder...

ReputationRep:
    oh thank you!

I'm doing AQA RS, so now I know what to expect!

Thanks again!
    random 1

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.