Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    We were told that in order of difficulty they are:
    Chemistry
    Maths
    Physics
    and Languages

But with the new Maths syllabus I would say that it is much lower down in the list now. And a lot of the senior teachers (older teachers) in schools and many schools/unis/industry see theses subjects above as the ones that really test you.

DB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Random one)
    Ironically, the Maths and sciences have been taught to us ever since a young age, and yet some people consider it the hardest subjects at A level :eek:
    That's because the difficulty level increases so much between GCSE and A-Level. With chemistry it was "Everything you learnt about at GCSE goes out of the window - we're starting again from scratch" :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I'd argue that, excluding biology, the workload for the A-Levels you mention isn't that great, but that's based on the exam boards I did. I did double maths, physics and chemistry and found I had very little work. Of course, it varies a lot based on the students and teaching styles. But I'd imagine that arts subjects where you have to write essays and stuff are more work.

I realise that work isn't the same as difficulty, but surely if you've got a smaller workload you've got plenty of time to spend on consolidating subjects in your head.

(Original post by twiga)
    That's because the difficulty level increases so much between GCSE and A-Level. With chemistry it was "Everything you learnt about at GCSE goes out of the window - we're starting again from scratch" :bawling:
    That is so true. What was the point in lying to us at GCSE when it'd only a take a bit longer to tell us "the truth"? I wonder if the same thing happens if you do chemistry at uni...

ReputationRep:
    Those 5 are a tough combination
    I'm doing Maths, further maths, physics, chemistry and english lit
    which I consider to be not too bad, but that is because I'm top of my year in maths so maths, f maths and physics to some extent should be reasonably easy. But any of the combination out of the maths, sciences, english lit, history, economics are all very demanding

ReputationRep:
    I find my subjects quite easy, though I am not too hot on the practical side of things in the sciences :p: . That said, if I was doing 3 or more essay based subjects I would be in deep water, I am too flippent.

Out of the AS levels I did, I found Economics the hardest, followed by Physics (the non mathsy variety)

ReputationRep:
    I think that languages are seen as a tough thing to take (I don't have any problems personally) but Physics as well seems to be the subject that a lot of people in my year (who are taking it) say that it's really difficult & they don't like it. Eng lang/lit is seen to be quite hard as they make you analyse your own writing & styles employed as in the AEA but in the end it's as many people say, it's down to the person. I find History hard but I did miss a lot of lessons for unavoidable reasons so that probably explains it!

ReputationRep:
    i'm doing:
    Maths
    Further maths (this is not yet decided)
    Biology
    Chemistry
    English Lit

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing:
    Economics,
    English Literature,
    Art
    Religious Studies

I have yet to find out how hard they are going to be (cross fingers).

ReputationRep:
    Maths, further maths, physics, chemistry and computing.

Although computing is basically theory stuff it is very different from GCSE ICT and i find the programming a little hard.

If another subject then its biology.

ReputationRep:
    IMO the hardest A-Levels are more traditional subjects like: Foreign Languages, Maths, Sciences. Easier ones will be Media studies, psychology, sociology etc... You've picked academically tough subjects - but Universities will recognise this etc, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drw25)
    What was the point in lying to us at GCSE when it'd only a take a bit longer to tell us "the truth"? I wonder if the same thing happens if you do chemistry at uni...
    One should very much think that A-level Chemistry is the true beginnings of advanced chemistry?!
    It's hard for a reason! (saying that, however, I find it relativly easy!)
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    im doing:
    maths, further maths, physics, chemistry and history

i think chemistry and history will be the hardest as the other 3 is basically all maths!

ReputationRep:
    Hehe! Maths, Chemistry and History...similar to my odd combination of Chemistry and Music!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimbobismad)
    Hehe! Maths, Chemistry and History...similar to my odd combination of Chemistry and Music!
    Jimbob I see you're doing an MChem degree and you haven't taken Maths at AS/A-Level :eek: - What did you get for Maths at GCSE if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whizz Kid)
    Jimbob I see you're doing an MChem degree and you haven't taken Maths at AS/A-Level :eek: - What did you get for Maths at GCSE if you don't mind me asking?
    Gosh! How dare you! Hehe!
    At A-level I did Chem, Bio, Music. (Philosophy and Ethics at AS).
    I got a B at GCSE in Maths (Higher Tier..to be pedantic!!)

I'm not the sharpest knife in the box when it comes to maths, but it hasn't stopped me getting into Uni yet!

ReputationRep:
    good for you jimbo! (not sarcastic!)

ReputationRep:
    I finished Latin GCSE a year ago and I found that INCREDIBLY difficult for a GCSE. In comparison I found German GCSE easy and Maths and Physics AS quite doable too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimbobismad)
    Gosh! How dare you! Hehe!
    At A-level I did Chem, Bio, Music. (Philosophy and Ethics at AS).
    I got a B at GCSE in Maths (Higher Tier..to be pedantic!!)

I'm not the sharpest knife in the box when it comes to maths, but it hasn't stopped me getting into Uni yet!

Oh, cool. I thought most Universities want at least A at GCSE to do a Chem degree, but guess I was wrong.

ReputationRep:
    People have different strengths, so it's quite difficult to agree on which really are the hardest. For example, people doing English or other written subjects may fid maths almost impossible, wheras some people doing maths may struggle writing essays and arguing a point.

ReputationRep:
    i did computing. big mistake. its incredibly hard, possibly the hardest subject to get an A in.
    One of the Hardest subjects to get an A in!?!? I think its one of the hardest to get a B in, and I can say that considering I managed an easy A in chemistry, Computing is definatly much harder.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.