Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whizz Kid)
    IMO the hardest A-Levels are more traditional subjects like: Foreign Languages, Maths, Sciences. Easier ones will be Media studies, psychology, sociology etc... You've picked academically tough subjects - but Universities will recognise this etc, good luck!
    Uh oh, you've opened yourself for a barrage of abuse with that one!

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: tsk tsk tsk...

ReputationRep:
    like kelly said i guess it is different for everyone... but from my expierience let me just say

hard = maths physics chemistry french german *any modern language*

thats generally what people struggle with... biology is hard if you dont learn it all i guess! if you learn the lot its not that bad really!

but yea.... most are different! depends what you like! I would advise you to work hard with those choices else you may crumble :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kavanne)
    Uh oh, you've opened yourself for a barrage of abuse with that one!
    lol id love to see a media studies student reply

'wat da fuk man!! media is da bare hardest aluvul on da markit innit!!! mathz aint got da skillz in comparison u know nuttin!!!'

because lets be honest... media isnt that hard at all! i have friends who do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayrox)

'wat da fuk man!! media is da bare hardest aluvul on da markit innit!!! mathz aint got da skillz in comparison u know nuttin!!!'

because lets be honest... media isnt that hard at all! i have friends who do it.
    Believe it or not I've had that reply to my opinions before!

ReputationRep:
    Back at the first post:

(Original post by S. Tham)
    Has anyone else picked, for their A-Levels, Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics?
    Do you mean A Levels or AS Levels?

If everyone on the thread is talking about A2s then that is a hell of a lot of people doing five! So I am presuming you are going on about ASs ...

I chose the very same combination for my AS Levels, and I have decided to continue with all of them (for the moment at least. I'll kick Biology out if the going gets tough).

The maths (& Further) is dead fun. So are the Chemistry and the Physics, although both are fairly tough on ocassions. Biology is fun on ocassions, and I personally find it the hardest of my choices as I never can understand what the AQA (B) Examiners are loafing on about (and I am more talented in the other three).

You say you have done C1. That is believable. I covered most of it on one weekend. C2 is tougher but you'll finish it by Jan without trouble. Although squashing 2 applied modules in could be tricky, but if you work over the summer there shouldn't be much hassle. I did:

Jan '05: C1, C2.
    Jun '05: C3, C4, S1, M1.

Then next year: FP1, FP2, S2, S3, M2, M3.

Good luck with it all anyway. I am sure you'll find the subjects are tough, but also extremely enjoyable.

ReputationRep:
    you see i disagree....

someone incrediablly good at maths might find a maths Alevel easy and an Art Alevel extremly difficult

so saying maths bio chem..etcetc...is the hardest is misleading as the people who take them are already finding these subjects 'easier' to some extent as they are already good at them...

they probably havnt picked (for argument sake) art, because they will find it harder?

get me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by THE UNDERDOG)
    you see i disagree....

someone incrediablly good at maths might find a maths Alevel easy and an Art Alevel extremly difficult

so saying maths bio chem..etcetc...is the hardest is misleading as the people who take them are already finding these subjects 'easier' to some extent as they are already good at them...

they probably havnt picked (for argument sake) art, because they will find it harder?

get me?
    I bet you do media.

ReputationRep:
    Maths and Chemistry are always the two we get warned about, in the way of difficulty level.

ReputationRep:

Heh :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Out of my A levels, I've found History the hardest, but that be more to do with AQA being *******s and my teacher buggering off than anything else. I'd say Classical Greek was pretty difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kavanne)
    I bet you do media.
    Lol.

ReputationRep:
    My sixth form tutor said Chemistry is the hardest to take. I found it A LOT easier than Biology though.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, i just sat AS Maths, Lit, History and Greek (and next year im just gonna do AS Economics)
    For me, Maths (Edexcel board - C1,C2,M1) was relatively easy: C1 was practically a joke and C2 and M1 were pretty good too.
    Lit is good if you revise and know all your stuff, but questions can be quite screwed up cause you might never know if you get the wrong end of the stick.
    History...AARRGGHHH... i love the bloody subject and i know all the crap but im useless at applying the knowledge to questions..plus you never know how an examiner will think of your paper.. i dont want to think of how crapply i went for that
    Greek was a joke. The easiest A ill ever get! :P

ReputationRep:
    for me...the order of easiest --> hardest

Biology, Psychology, Chemistry, Economics and Business

I've never been a person interested in the financial market/the economy etc, so I found that really hard to grasp and I just hated it, it was the most boring thing ever. So I agree with what someone else said about it all depends on what you are good at as to how easy/hard it is. Music/languages would be impossible for me because I'm not musical and I can't learn a new language easily! So its all subjective really.

ReputationRep:
    i have now personal experiences of A/S levels yet as I've only just finiahed my GCSE exams. Although it is true that everyone finds diffierent subjects didficult because of the skills required - e.g. the ability to present an arguement cohorently in essay subjects; the ability to problem solve in subjects such as Maths, I think that Chemistry, Physics and Maths are probably the hardest, although this is only relative and my personal opinion. Perhaps it could be measured by how many people get the top grades each year in each subject to test how difficult a subject is compared to another.

ReputationRep:
    I take Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Biology. The first three are certainly meant to be more traditionally difficult, but I've always had a head for Maths and find them my easiest (and favorite) subjects.

Biology is meant to be a lot easier, but I find it a lot harder, very little maths, excluding Statistics and a lot to remember. I think on the whole some subjects are harder than others, but in all honesty every one finds different subjects more or less difficult than every one else.

Lists rating hardest subjects are good to be used as a guide for picking your AS subjects, but you should take your own strengths and weaknesses into account.

ReputationRep:
    depending on an indidviduals leaqrning style some subjects will be harder than others. personally i find sociology hard, mainly cos its SO BORING TO REVISE !!!

ReputationRep:
    Maths - easy because it's logical, once you learn the 'rules' and practice them then all becomes clear

ReputationRep:
    this is an impossible question for anyone to answer because on the whole people do subjects at A-level that they enjoy, ie good at(because no one enjoys getting F's or U's) hence what ever A-Levels you do wou will have an aptitude for it an so an art person will find maths hard and vice versa. but by looking at the grades of people who do these subjects and the grades they get in them chemistry and physics are the hardest from a statistics point of view as a low propourtion of the students get A's. I think that is the fairest way to judge.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.