Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i'd agree with that, computing was ridiculous at AS, easier than gcse ict in some respects, you did less courework and the exams were only a bit more challenging.

I actually dropped computing because i thought there was no point doing an a2 in it, as i felt it was a waste of time. (i'm sorry if this sounds big headed, but its my personal experiance of it).

For example i spend 10 times as much effort in revising and learning as physics than as computing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakatu)
    i'd agree with that, computing was ridiculous at AS, easier than gcse ict in some respects, you did less courework and the exams were only a bit more challenging.

I actually dropped computing because i thought there was no point doing an a2 in it, as i felt it was a waste of time. (i'm sorry if this sounds big headed, but its my personal experiance of it).

For example i spend 10 times as much effort in revising and learning as physics than as computing.
    In my opinion, computing is harder than GCSE ICT. If you carry onto A2, you would find the stuff a bit harder because of the programming and advanced systems development modules. The programming unit is the hardes in A2.

ReputationRep:
    i did say that i only did it to AS. I know you may have found completely different to me and maybee did a different board ( i did AQA).

But i got a really bad vibe of the subject, the teachers walked in 30 minutes late and proceeded to give lessons from the text book and ohp. Half the other students just messed about on the internet in full view of the teachers who diddn't seem to care (or weren't good enough to manage it).

One of the modules was quite tough (the programming one), but at AS you don't need to know how to write code properly, just have a limited understanding of it.

Another module was just gcse ict relevent to the computer syllabus and very low level.

And then there was the coursework+ paper which was quite good fun but again very little thought involved in that paper.

I'm trying hard not to be too harsh too the subject, but i honestly found it such a contrast to maths and physics. We did next to no homework, the lessons were a joke and i got about 280 ish UMS. Whereas maths and physics were like going into another world.

Again, sorry if this sounds snobby, but at my college that was my "computing AS" experiance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakatu)
    i did say that i only did it to AS. I know you may have found completely different to me and maybee did a different board ( i did AQA).

But i got a really bad vibe of the subject, the teachers walked in 30 minutes late and proceeded to give lessons from the text book and ohp. Half the other students just messed about on the internet in full view of the teachers who diddn't seem to care (or weren't good enough to manage it).

One of the modules was quite tough (the programming one), but at AS you don't need to know how to write code properly, just have a limited understanding of it.

Another module was just gcse ict relevent to the computer syllabus and very low level.

And then there was the coursework+ paper which was quite good fun but again very little thought involved in that paper.

I'm trying hard not to be too harsh too the subject, but i honestly found it such a contrast to maths and physics. We did next to no homework, the lessons were a joke and i got about 280 ish UMS. Whereas maths and physics were like going into another world.

Again, sorry if this sounds snobby, but at my college that was my "computing AS" experiance.
    Agree with you. I did AQA too which may be the reason some find Computing easier than others. The programming was quite difficult but as you say, you didn't need to know much for the exam. All our lessons were based on hand outs and photocopies from texbooks and we had about 3 months to do the coursework (Tod's bleeding tyres) which was more tedious than challenging. We had virtually no homework either (hey, did we goto the same college ) and those that we did were barely ever marked.

I took Computing at AS hoping for it to be a challenge but it wasn't. I spent most of my time moaning about how hard Chemistry and Maths were :rolleyes: and just chatting to mates. I don't mean to sound arrogant, just also sharing my experiences. A2 I'm sure would have been harder (although not *much* different from what I've seen from friend's work) but I found AS so boring and pointless there was no way I could carry it on.

ReputationRep:
    My friend is very good at Maths (predicted A star and may do further Maths A level) and she is also is very good at Art from what I have seen. So I disagree with that statement "an art person will find maths hard and vice versa"

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you too Random one. I have known people to be good at art subjects and science subjects. A boy in our 6th form who came from a local grammar school A*s in Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics. He also got an A* in French, German, Greek and an A in Graphics. It really depends on the person but it is more likely you are better at either science based subjects or art based subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    Agree with you. I did AQA too which may be the reason some find Computing easier than others. The programming was quite difficult but as you say, you didn't need to know much for the exam. All our lessons were based on hand outs and photocopies from texbooks and we had about 3 months to do the coursework (Tod's bleeding tyres) which was more tedious than challenging. We had virtually no homework either (hey, did we goto the same college ) and those that we did were barely ever marked.

I took Computing at AS hoping for it to be a challenge but it wasn't. I spent most of my time moaning about how hard Chemistry and Maths were :rolleyes: and just chatting to mates. I don't mean to sound arrogant, just also sharing my experiences. A2 I'm sure would have been harder (although not *much* different from what I've seen from friend's work) but I found AS so boring and pointless there was no way I could carry it on.
    I used to go to Sussex Downs College... the similarities in your story are uncanny.

Yer, tod's tyres. Really boring. We had so long to do it aswell. Computing isn't a terrible subject but all the academic riqour i was expecting wasn't there. All the hard parts like programming (which i struggled with) just weren tested in the exam! It was just like doing gcse ict again, when you just have to fill in an example of an "output" device... etc. It was more about learning what the examiners wanted you to say than learning about computing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kavanne)
    It appears you have not even started these subjects at A Level, all of which are completely different from how they were at GCSE, so, no offence, but surely you are not as qualified to comment as someone who is already doing/has done their A Levels?
    Erm......have you done media? Surely by your logic, that means you're not qualified to comment on that? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twiga)
    :dito: Biology is NOT easy, although once you get the basic concepts that makes it a little better.

Put it this way - months of really hard work = C in Biology
    - no work whatsoever = C in Geograpy :rolleyes:
    it is somewhat of a doss subject, but hard for illiterate people, like myself...found it harder than maths! :eek: Physics is easyish...just boring and hard to get any motivation to study for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Erm......have you done media? Surely by your logic, that means you're not qualified to comment on that? :p:
    I can't believe media is offered at GCSE now At A Level, I can tolerate, but who needs a GCSE in it?

ReputationRep:
    Surely if you did 3-4 maths A-levels it would make it easier because you'd be doing maths the whole time :p:

Music Technology is quite hard. Lots of people diss it but they don't even know what it is. You have to be very creative, apt with technology, programming, music. There's a lot more theory and classical music in music tech than most people think.

I chose it over music because it was a more creative course. I don't think I'd have found straight music any more difficult. Music tech was harder than the history A-level I took, and I know many people consider that to be a very difficult A-level.

So in the end, there is no definitive objective 'hardest' A-level. It all boils down to the person you are. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would take months to stick a half decent tune together, but who could sail through Chemistry and vice versa. You'll always get people who can do both, and neither.

You can't really know how difficult an A-level is unless you have done it, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kavanne)
    I can't believe media is offered at GCSE now At A Level, I can tolerate, but who needs a GCSE in it?
    Trust me, the GCSE SUCKS!!! Only took it because my stupid school forced us to do an expressive arts subjects and media seemed better than all the others :mad:

ReputationRep:
    i did history, geography and physics for a-level - dropped chemistry at AS.

i found chemistry the hardest but for the jump between AS-level and A2 level i would have to say history although its my best subject

ReputationRep:
    I need a GCSE in media studies :p: ...was my only humanities/arts based A* >.<

ReputationRep:
    Well the subject I did worst in at GCSE was History, which ironically I chose over all the Sciences/maths even though statistically I was better at them. But tbh I should have done some revision for History instead of being complacent. At A Level how well you do depends on how interested you are in what you do. I've seen people do arts/science mix and get AAAA. Some subjects require a lot less revision than others though which makes doing exams easier.

ReputationRep:
    Surely if you did 3-4 maths A-levels it would make it easier because you'd be doing maths the whole time
    If you do a degree you're doing the same subject all the time but it isn't easy.
    I think 4 maths A-Levels would be going over the top though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_roadkill)
    I've just finished my A-levels - but hell yes you have chosen a tough set!

I think Maths (of any kind, Further, Applied...whatever), Physics, Chemistry and Modern Languages are the hardest A-levels, followed by English Literature/History.
    In all objectivity: History boasts a nominal workload far in excess of anything required by English Literature, which is by its very nature eminently more susceptible to "blaggers" (i.e. me). In fact, had they not been so adamant about my completing their (for the most part) totally unnecessary homework assignments, I daresay English Lit. would've been quite straightforward.

Furthermore, peers whom I have known to excel at mathematics in general (particularly, those taking Further Maths) also exhibited a tendency to cite Physics as being among the least demanding of their A-Level options: notwithstanding its reduced complexity, there seemed little specific expertise required by the A-Level Physics syllabus that had not been inculcated beforehand, by way of Further Maths. As such, many perceived Physics to be a 'free pass'; go figure.

In any case, when all's said and done, this just serves to illustrate that 'difficulty' is largely an issue of relative perception.

ReputationRep:
    Out of the four subjects I did (chemistry, english lit, RS and music) music was by far the hardest. If you consider the amount of work that the average music A level student does outside of school just in order to get to the required standard of performance... and composition alone is a task that requires huge amounts of both innate and learned skills, and an awful lot of revisions to get to a decent end result.

ReputationRep:
    i raised a good point, and no, i dont take media studies. I take maths biology and english language.

I find maths easy, and going back to my point, i dont think maths is the hardest Alevel because I am very good at it. However, i would find an Art Alevel (if there is such a thing) difficult becuase of the simple fact i suck at it

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished 4 AS levels in Maths, Bio, History and Eng lit/lang. Will probably drop lit/lang because it is so hard to be motivated for it. In terms of hardness i think maths was pretty tough, probably more so than the others. All my mates who did both think that Bio was harder than chemistry this year (edexcel).

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.