Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayrox)
    lol id love to see a media studies student reply

'wat da fuk man!! media is da bare hardest aluvul on da markit innit!!! mathz aint got da skillz in comparison u know nuttin!!!'

because lets be honest... media isnt that hard at all! i have friends who do it.
    I did media studies and personally i agree that on the whole, it seems that people tend to take it on the assumption that it's an easy 'A'. In some respects that's true, considering it involves a lot of tasks which students enjoy. However, it does teach skills which are useful, i.e. essay writing, critical autonomy etc and these skills are essential for the careers that those students want to pursue. Just because it has a reputation for being a 'mickey mouse' subject, as my friends often reminded me, does not mean it is any less valid as an A level subject. Would you suggest that a vocational GCSE for someone who is simply not clever enough, or not interested in a maths GCSE is worthless? I don't especially care whether a subject has a good reputation. I chose media studies as it will prepare me for a career in media/writing; something i want to do. What is the point in doing physics when it won't help me at all? I like physics, but it is simply not what i want to do in my life. Good a levels should not be measured on how difficult they are, that is not the point of the course. The idea is to teach students the relevant knowledge they require in order to pursue their choice of career. Anyone who chooses an A level on its reputation or because you can say i did 'physics and further maths' instead of 'media and sociology' is making a bad decision. The other A levels i did were Eng Lit and History just in case you cared, and i dropped geography after AS. But found all equally difficult.

ReputationRep:
    Filliping eck, Economics is not boring, if you actually studied the subject you would kno its very interesting and intellectual. That is why it is a very respected alevel by uni's and highly competitive degree course. So dont start bad mouthing a subject you have yet to explore
    I never actually insinuated that Economics IS boring or dull - I just found that when I went for the Economics tryout-day at school and when I went to the lectures that I personally found it dull. And I don't doubt that it's highly respected by universities, nor that it is a highly competitive degree course - my brother did PPE at Oxford, and found it both hard and exciting. All I'm saying, as kw5 picked up is that I'm doing subject's that I enjoy - I should only expect that the response that I gave to economics would be similar to one given by a person who doesn't like physics.

ReputationRep:
    hardest is geography, because it is too time consuming and boring...if one has an interest in anything, it becomes easy for that very reason

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainjan_4now)
    Biology was the hardest subject i took at A-level (i took biology, chemistry, and english lit/lang). Too much theory and a crappy exam board made it very hard to endure.

I agree, I did AQA biology at AS level, did january exam, found theory difficult to understand, gave up the subject in march of AS level, as I found I didn't have time to spend on other subjects, and I'd rather get better grades imn 3 subjects than lower grades in 4. AQA is hard though, need to be so specific, we did AQA for ICT, same problem with being specific, but I enjoyed the suject more.

ReputationRep:
    respect Zhivago! That is a very good logical argument!

anyone going to reply? that disagrees otherwise to Zhivago?
    Cheers S.Tham. Glad to see somebody agrees with meh. And you, as well HenryT (you're back by the way! :p: )

But yeah, S.Tham, they haven't responded. Must have realised the error of their cynical ways... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    LOL! they must've really! They obviously no they were wrong lol!

Zhivago, excellent work there, reppin you for that! You argue better than my local MP lol!

ReputationRep:
    sorry to say it but you will not get an A in art by just "doing a Tracy Emin" unless you have masses of research , show progression and an original idea. I would not say that art is a hard a level but if you are aiming for a good A it is one of the most time consuming of all (and I did 4). You need to work throughout the year or you are in a real mess in April as the final piece has to be finished then. A bit of talent is important too. Also won't actual marks soon be vital....when do the unis get to see them all like oxbridge do now?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to be a pedant, but Oxbridge do not "get to see them", they ask their applicants to provide them. Any university could do the same, if it so wished.

ReputationRep:
    heys ! ive just finished my GCSES and am awaiting results.. cant help feelin ive chosen the most impossible subjects..my friends in year 12 have all looked shocked wen i told em im doing biology chemistry french and german and keep tellin me im mad! im predicted a*s in french n german and as in bio and chem at GCSE but i have this bad feelin its all gna go horribly horribly wrong Has anyone done similar subjects to what im doing and can offer words of advice in any of my as choice id b very grateful thank u xxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prinzessin1988)
    heys ! ive just finished my GCSES and am awaiting results.. cant help feelin ive chosen the most impossible subjects..my friends in year 12 have all looked shocked wen i told em im doing biology chemistry french and german and keep tellin me im mad! im predicted a*s in french n german and as in bio and chem at GCSE but i have this bad feelin its all gna go horribly horribly wrong Has anyone done similar subjects to what im doing and can offer words of advice in any of my as choice id b very grateful thank u xxxxxxx
    Ignore your friends. The only things that matter are whether you enjoy the subjects you've chosen and whether you're good at them, which you obviously are if you're predicted A*s and As. I can only speak for French and there is a huge jump from GCSE to AS, but it's manageable if you put the work in. I got an A* at GCSE and should hopefully get an A at AS, but I won't know until August The best advice I can give you is to review your GCSE work, such as vocabulary and grammar, and try to keep up with the language by reading online newspapers, listening to the radio and watching TV/films. It's a great subject, much more interesting at AS and also very rewarding. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Best of luck with your GCSE results.

ReputationRep:
    Bio and Chem will be easy - don't worry. Just make sure you stay ontop of the work, and particularly in Chem, constantly refresh yourself with the basic concepts, and the advanced work will be much easier to complete.

ReputationRep:

German is great if you keep up with the work. Just done the a level exam last month. Nice subject, small group, only 3 people in our year did it. If your predicted an A* you'll have no problems. I'd recommend that while your off to do a couple of hours of German a week, review vocab, sentance structures etc, because after 12 weeks of not doing it, I went back to do AS German after GCSE's and I couldn't even put a simple sentance together without questioning it(really basic stuff) I think that messed up my first few months of German. When you do German learn vocab as you go along, and it'll save you learning about 3000 at the end, and you'll find it easier. Good luck. German is a great A level, very enjoyable!

ReputationRep:
    I do two languages atm, & 3 other AS subjects (see sig) and I haven't found them a particularly big jump but I think I'm just weird. If you're doing what you like then you'll do well in it as you'll be more willing to put the effort in. The worst thing to do in my opinion, is to take something because it looks good. A Levels require much more independant study and you'll be happier doing this if you love your subject. Plus you have a great arts/science balance so if you changed your mind about doing languages, there would be the possibility to do something else. If you're really into your languages English would be useful, but only consider it if you like it, as in the end you'll pick up the skills needed by doing the languages.

ReputationRep:
    English particularly English language or a combined course would also be good for linguistics which is what I want to do! Good choice of degree anyhow!

ReputationRep:
    electronics was the hardest exam i EVER sat through. i didnt learn anything in lesson and nor did i revise, so i sat in my exams watching the seconds go by. word of advice to all, NEVER EVER do electronics.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but i have to say film studies, its so hard i have to watch a film a week and write a review. Much harder than maths

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but i have to say film studies, its so hard i have to watch a film a week and write a review. Much harder than maths
    lol.

ReputationRep:
    I remember one time when a bunch of kids put zhivago on the ground. She started screaming, swearing and getting all hyped up over nothing.

(Original post by check_me)
    I remember one time when a bunch of kids put zhivago on the ground. She started screaming, swearing and getting all hyped up over nothing.
    Er... well done.

ReputationRep:
    Going back to what someone said earlier, i'll differentiate between Biology and Physics.

With Biology, it's the sheer volume of content that has to be stored and then reguritated when being examined on. (i.e. if you're a girl that has all her pens neatly put in line with all her pads of paper organised with colourful inks, then it's for you. :p: )

With Physics, there are less facts to be learnt than in Biology, but it's the applying that makes it tricky.

In all fairness it is safe to say that all subjects are challenging in their own way.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.