Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone bother with a TV licence at uni? What are the chances of getting caught without one?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    I know loads of people who got caught while I was at Oxford, Hehehehhheee!

You take your chance, and all that...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Take a portable set that runs on batteries. Then you're covered under your parents licence and don't need your own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    Did anyone bother with a TV licence at uni? What are the chances of getting caught without one?

Cheers
    Yeah I got one but I know quite a few people who didn't and never got caught.

ReputationRep:
    They tend to be pretty strict about checking student properties. The house i rent in Bristol had been empty over last summer, i moved in mid-september and had someone at the door within 2 days to check i had a license (luckily did!). And i've heard of people checking halls of residence as well....resulting in students in court with £1000 fines! :eek:
    If you're only gonna use the license for 9 months of the year (say start of october til end of june), then when you're finished with it you can fill in a form and send them evidence of your term dates and claim back a quarter of the license fee, so will only cost you £90ish for the year. I did that last year, was pretty straightforward. I really dont think it's worth taking the risk!

ReputationRep:
    Although i like taking risks, i dont think its worth the hassle. Unless i do what someone said here, that i put batteries in the tv and hide the actual wire

ReputationRep:
    I never bothered in my 1st year and didn't get caught

ReputationRep:
    some places don't let the inspectors in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    the £1000 fines are a threat rarely carried out - 95% of people caught without a licence are let off if they buy a licence within a week or so.
    Cool, i'll just say i never knew we was meant to have a license and act really shocked like :eek: :confused: then hopefully i'll get a slap on the wrist at the maximum

ReputationRep:
    Not from the UK, so what is a TV license? Is it like cable?

ReputationRep:
    Don't be a mong and buy a TV license....yes they do check and yes you will get fined.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and pleading ignorance won't really help as most unis include TV licence reminders in your welcome packs/all round campus etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleece)
    Don't be a mong and buy a TV license....yes they do check and yes you will get fined.
    :confused: ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleece)
    Oh and pleading ignorance won't really help as most unis include TV licence reminders in your welcome packs/all round campus etc.
    lol...

i'll just do what pq said .

ReputationRep:
    good good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    If you aren't planning on getting a tv licence (whether you are planning on using a mains connected TV or not) it's worth printing out this guide http://www.tvlicensing.biz/leaflets/...ence_guide.pdf and keeping it to hand in case the inspectors come acalling.
    Nice1

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/students.jsp

ReputationRep:
    I say, don't bother with a TV. Who needs such technical things anyhow?

ReputationRep:
    Even if its just a 95% chance of getting fined it does not sound worth it, £90 for 2/3 of the year is not too bad and much better than the alternative £1000 fine!

ReputationRep:
    i thought it was £90 per year?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.