The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
ancientone
Just get the license-they do check and you'll have no defence since it's in the info for new students provided by the University (or should be), and they even run adverts on the tv directed at students. Do you really want to take the chance of £1,000 fine? If you're in a hall then there's the perfect opportunity for someone who works for detection to hit their targets - and you could be one of them.

Not if i look at the links provided and assess the situation when i'm there. I'll see how it goes at first regarding room inspections etc. If i see myself in a vulnerable position i'll buy 1.
Reply 41
Is a TV essential for uni?
Divine89

not if you plan on spending your free time drunk and asleep :cool:
Divine89

Not essential, but there will be times when there is nothing else to do....and sometimes it's nice to stay in and watch films (although this can obviously be done with a laptop).
If your laptop has a TV tuner card, you need a licence for this also.

Marcus
Reply 45
even if it's running on batteries? :frown:
As far as I'm aware, the exclusion only applies if it's powered solely by batteries and cannot be powered by the mains.

Marcus
Reply 47
Just to clear some stuff up for anyone who may be reading this. I apologise for using upper caps but anything that is formatted like that is like that for a reason, I am not shouting it :smile:

1. The TV licence people cant enter your room/house without your consent. If they knock tell them to bugger off.
2. Having a TV without a licence is not an offence. You can play your PS2/DVD or whatever to your hearts content.
3. Bin any letters that come from the TVLA. They are full of crap, and can be very threatening.
4. The TVLA are a private company who make money from people who they fine. Yes this is not the governement doing this but a company which has about the same ammount of power as Tesco. They have no special rights and privaleges.
5. The TVLA are well known at spreading missinformation, and are trained in the art of doublespeak. DO NOT BELIEVE A WORD THEY SAY. EVER.
6. If you dont want to watch TV and therefore dont need a licence, detune your TV and dont plug the coax into your TV. THIS IS COMPLETELY LEGAL. You can now watch DVDs and play consoles to your hearts content.
7. You are allowed to use a DTT box to recieve digital radio signals, although you must delete any video streams from the chanel line up.
8. If you do want to watch TV please buy a licence, the rest of us have to and you are no exception :smile:

If anyone has any questions about this I will gladly answer them.

Point number 1 is dependant on the contract you have with your halls of residence.
Reply 48
I sent the TVLA a letter once complaining that their letters were presumptious, misleading and because of this wholly offensive. I got quite the grovelling apology :biggrin:
Reply 49
homoterror
I sent the TVLA a letter once complaining that their letters were presumptious, misleading and because of this wholly offensive. I got quite the grovelling apology :biggrin:

And you deserve one too. Those things presume you are guilty until proven innocent. While I dont condone this I have been told that when you buy a TV and have to inform the TVLA of your address, filling in the address of the TVLA on the form really annoys their computer system. Actually I am pretty sure the whole process of giving ay details on that form is either in violation of a human right, or data protection act.
Reply 50
I would deffinately get one - it's worth it even if you dont think it will be. I couldn't of lived without watching The Contender every Fri!

Also when you finnish the year you can get a refund on the licence for the remainder of the year I just got mine back £30 - obviously once you get this its nolonger valid...

Do not use a TV if you dont have one tho, my room mate did that and got caught and you get fined
Reply 51
CHL
I would deffinately get one - it's worth it even if you dont think it will be. I couldn't of lived without watching The Contender every Fri!

Also when you finnish the year you can get a refund on the licence for the remainder of the year I just got mine back £30 - obviously once you get this its nolonger valid...

Do not use a TV if you dont have one tho, my room mate did that and got caught and you get fined

I had to watch the contender on Mondays, Friday was too long to wait!
Binternet
And you deserve one too. Those things presume you are guilty until proven innocent. While I dont condone this I have been told that when you buy a TV and have to inform the TVLA of your address, filling in the address of the TVLA on the form really annoys their computer system. Actually I am pretty sure the whole process of giving ay details on that form is either in violation of a human right, or data protection act.

Companies that sell equipment capable of receiving broadcast television signals are legally required to notify TV Licensing of the person purchasing those goods (don't know under exactly what legislation).

The simple way to get around it is to buy your TV second hand :biggrin:
Reply 53
wait till you get to uni before buying your TV license! check your tv will work in your room... 3 of my flatmates bought TV licenses beofre bring their tvs to uni and then found in the rooms there was very little reception, the kitchen was only room that had an external areial point so was silly but tv licensing kicked up a major fuss about giving them refunds.
and aggreeing with whoever it was that mentioned the guilty until proven innocent i had an inspector lady turn up at 9am one saturday hadnt got in night before until 5am so she waked me up then wont believe me when i say my flat mate is away and kept asking if any of us had a tv conceeled anywhere, well of course sorry i forgot about that tv in the freezer!!! meh! tell them you have tvs all over the place and watch them search! ha!
apologies now for the rubbish spelling of last post to lazy to go an correct it all.
ruthie
... i had an inspector lady turn up at 9am one saturday hadnt got in night before until 5am so she waked me up then wont believe me when i say my flat mate is away and kept asking if any of us had a tv conceeled anywhere, well of course sorry i forgot about that tv in the freezer!!! meh! tell them you have tvs all over the place and watch them search! ha!
apologies now for the rubbish spelling of last post to lazy to go an correct it all.

Next time this happens, tell her to go away. You don't have to let anyone in without a warrant.

Marcus
Reply 55
Kingspharm
Companies that sell equipment capable of receiving broadcast television signals are legally required to notify TV Licensing of the person purchasing those goods (don't know under exactly what legislation).

The simple way to get around it is to buy your TV second hand :biggrin:

But im pretty sure you are allowed to put what ever name and address you want on the form since I doubt it is legally binding, and the TVLA are just a private company.
i didnt get one until like january and didnt get called upon, the main reason that i didnt get one until january is cos i was that busy and kept forgetting. however my brother and several friends in halls and houses have been called upon and one of em was lucky she managed to persuade the person that she would go now and get a licence lol only cos she was crying and said she was so stressed that she had no money to pay for it lol
i think it's probably worht getting one just in case.i know a lot of people who didn't have one for three years of uni and didn't get caught, but a thousand pound fine can't be too pleasant! :eek:
i also noticed on the t.v licensing website that they ask the flat number if you're in student acommodation, which suggests to me that they can easily see who hasn't got one!
plus by monthly fdirect debit it doesn't seem half as expensive! x

Latest

Trending

Trending