Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    She seems quite calm. I've done about 15 ABRSM exams and I panicked so much before all of them! She's stopped now, to watch Holby City :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    She seems quite calm. I've done about 15 ABRSM exams and I panicked so much before all of them! She's stopped now, to watch Holby City :rolleyes:
    how old did you say she was?

ReputationRep:
    If it sounds sharp, she just needs to pull her hand back. Make sureher thumb stays in line with her first finger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by historyhoney)
    hahaha

*Neg rep* *neg Rep* just kidding - I do actually find some of htem funny!
    Lol, sorry, I know loads, some bright spark bought a musicians joke book one year on orchestra tour, hours of fun!!

Anyway. I guess once Lauren's sister gets better she'll sound less squeaky (obviously) unfortunately the violin doesn't start to sound good until you get to the stage of learning vibrato :hmpf:

ReputationRep:
    stick it in a vice, that should flatten it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ditzy)
    How do you stop someone stealing your violin?

Spoiler:
    Show
    Put it in a viola case :p:

(sorry, couldn't resist )
    This one's just as good...

What's the difference between a viola and a trampoline?

Spoiler:
    Show
    You take your shoes off before you jump on a trampoline :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by historyhoney)
    Oh yes - the benifits of looking like your'e playing the violin without the sqeeuks :P
    aha, so ultimately it's to look like you're playing the violin if you're not skilled enough to play the superior instrument :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ditzy)
    Lol, sorry, I know loads, some bright spark bought a musicians joke book one year on orchestra tour, hours of fun!!

Anyway. I guess once Lauren's sister gets better she'll sound less squeaky (obviously) unfortunately the violin doesn't start to sound good until you get to the stage of learning vibrato :hmpf:
    help! I've known the vibrato since I was about 11... and I still sound completely crap!

Maybe I should demote myself to viola...

ReputationRep:
    String gauge?

ReputationRep:
    On the subject of violins whats the minimum I can pay to get a functional beginners violin?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    She's doing grade 2 and she's holding it correctly. She's been playing for I think two years. It's not like a semitone sharp or anything, but you know when it's slightly sharp and you can hear it's out? I know a little about violin playing, I had lessons for a year but never liked it enough to take grades (because of the squeaking!).
    The squeaking will be technique, and unfortunately it's only practise that improves it.

Probablt her intonation is a bit out as well which is making it sound out of tune, and again it's only practise that will improve it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    On the subject of violins whats the minimum I can pay to get a functional beginners violin?
    If you get a second hand one then you can get them pretty cheap. £50 maybe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allisandro)
    The squeaking will be technique, and unfortunately it's only practise that improves it.
    :banghead: lol

ReputationRep:
    You can get dirt cheap chinese instruments from about £30, but they sound god awful. You can get a decent reconditioned German fiddle (will sound much nicer) for a couple of hundred (although I doubt you'd want to pay that much)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    help! I've known the vibrato since I was about 11... and I still sound completely crap!

Maybe I should demote myself to viola...
    Lol, you must admit vibrato takes some of the harshness from the sound though (I still sound awful too!!) Although the instrument makes a lot of difference, I borrowed one my friend make (priced at arounf £2K) and suddenly sounded much better (wasn't hard though, I'm shockingly bad!! :p: )

ReputationRep:
    Have a look on ebay. They have many student violins (of Chinese make or similar) for about £30, inclusive of bow and case! A pretty decent bargain!

I've been looking on ebay at the £1500 violins that I'd love to own, but will probably never have the money to buy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ditzy)
    Lol, you must admit vibrato takes some of the harshness from the sound though (I still sound awful too!!) Although the instrument makes a lot of difference, I borrowed one my friend make (priced at arounf £2K) and suddenly sounded much better (wasn't hard though, I'm shockingly bad!! :p: )
    Agreed. At least I've also got to the stage where I can hear the difference between a £6000 violin (a mates violin) and my cheapass student £250 violin
    It does take a bit of skill to make a good violin sound good it has to be said!

It's worth pointing out that the main thing my vibrato does is disguise the fact that my intonation crap and I can never place my fingers so it forms perfect intervals! :p: so people think I'm in tune!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    Agreed. At least I've also got to the stage where I can hear the difference between a £6000 violin (a mates violin) and my cheapass student £250 violin
    It does take a bit of skill to make a good violin sound good it has to be said!

It's worth pointing out that the main thing my vibrato does is disguise the fact that my intonation crap and I can never place my fingers so it forms perfect intervals! :p: so people think I'm in tune!
    Lol, cunning!! See what you did there!!

I have promised my friend I'll commission him to make me a lovely violin if I ever win the lottery (his prices are extortionate!!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ditzy)
    Lol, cunning!! See what you did there!!

I have promised my friend I'll commission him to make me a lovely violin if I ever win the lottery (his prices are extortionate!!)
    :eek: you have a friend who MAKES violins! That's soo cool.

I'd buy a custom made bow, from John Stagg in Bristol.... all of his bows start from at least £10000 I think!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    :eek: you have a friend who MAKES violins! That's soo cool.

I'd buy a custom made bow, from John Stagg in Bristol.... all of his bows start from at least £10000 I think!
    Yep, he did four years at uni studying violin making, very cool, he's made some lovely stuff (and refitted my violin at mates-rates for me!! )(http://www.fonzooorooo.co.uk)

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.