Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    Wow. You had me fooled.
    Ouch. You got me, eh? I don't have any vested interest in impressing anyone here. This is an online form I use to keep myself entertained while shackled to the demands of my ever-exciting life, for crissakes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    but "dating" is a very American notion although it has spawned similar habits in the UK, it's not quite the same. You people are very different when it comes to that stuff... but as I said the rules still apply.
    What are some of the differences between American and UK "dating"??

Just curious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.F.N)
    spineless AOL geeks who only flaunt their talents in their native geek-speak on the Internet.
    So baby, tell me.. how big is your hard drive?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Couldn't possibly resist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amanda)

Just curious.
    Allow me to explain: in the UK, the male impresses his female counterpart by speaking as if he were writing a legal document. And he'll kiss the monarchy's ass for a good part of the date, too.

That's it for the most part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.F.N)
    Allow me to explain: in the UK, the male impresses his female counterpart by speaking as if he were writing a legal document. And he'll kiss the monarchy's ass for a good part of the date, too.
    Oh.

ReputationRep:

Just curious.
    Well dating in the USA has changed a lot too. A lot of people say that dating in the US is dead and the culture of "hooking up" prevails.

It's just that asking someone on a date isn't a tradition as it is in the US. People tend less to invite people at their school or work to go on dates to get to know eachother better, with no commitment...

If you want a reference, Gwyneth Paltrow when she came to the UK, complained a lot about British guys' attitudes towards dates. In the US, a date doesn't mean anything: it doesn't mean you'll go out with the person and there's no commitment, whereas in the UK it's a bit more ambiguous.

Enough with the geek talk.

ReputationRep:
    Yep! Good on ya.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.F.N)

That's it for the most part.
    wow you really know British people well :rolleyes: and in Cambridge you take the **** Truck to Wellesley to meet a similarly desperate female gagging for it...

ReputationRep:
    Well dating in the USA has changed a lot too. A lot of people say that dating in the US is dead and the culture of "hooking up" prevails.

It's just that asking someone on a date isn't a tradition as it is in the US. People tend less to invite people at their school or work to go on dates to get to know eachother better, with no commitment...

If you want a reference, Gwyneth Paltrow when she came to the UK, complained a lot about British guys' attitudes towards dates. In the US, a date doesn't mean anything: it doesn't mean you'll go out with the person and there's no commitment, whereas in the UK it's a bit more ambiguous.

So if they arn't really into dates as a way of getting to know eachother... then what do they do to get to know eachother? (It's a dumb question phrased horribly, but you get the point! ) Being American a date would of course be the obvious way... but I suppose there's other ways, that they'd rather do in the UK?

I like your "geek talk" btw lol.

ReputationRep:
    wow you really know British people well :rolleyes: and in Cambridge you take the **** Truck to Wellesley to meet a similarly desperate female gagging for it...
    Heh-heh. I hate 'em--looking more dyed-roots than grass-roots, they don't fit in with my intelligentsia mentality.

ReputationRep:
    So if they arn't really into dates as a way of getting to know eachother... then what do they do to get to know eachother? (It's a dumb question phrased horrible, but you get the point! ) Being American a date would of course be the obvious way... but I suppose there's other ways, that they'd rather do in the UK?

Well I haven't spent that much time in North America and only dated a couple of girls there but there are interesting humorous studies of Dating done, one by a Hungarian-born Brit called Geoffrey Gorer and despite being old, when reading them I've found myself saying "Yes that's spot on".

Dating and seduction is just so much more explicit and straightforward in the US. If someone likes you, they won't beat round the bush: they'll let you know it. If a girl doesn't want anything with you she simply says "No" and no means no.

In the UK, we tend to be implicit. Being upfront and straightforward can sometimes work but most of the time, British people react badly to it. People seem to hook up in a less rigid context: it will happen at a party, when going out... but as I said, it's getting confusing these days as attitudes appear more and more American as kids grow up seeing US films thinking that's how things work :P

ReputationRep:
    pulling- Millions of different methods but the cheesy ones work best.
    In a club-
    1) **** all the guys who ponce around dancing by her moving closer. go rights up. Tap her on the shoulder, offer your hand, kiss her hand, look her in the eye, smile, stick your thumb up in a gimpish way. Then take that window of opportunity.

2) This can follow the above or not. Say 'You're fit you are', she'll be taken aback. Put your arm around her and ask if she's going to buy you a drink.

3) Dance around with your mates like lads then pinch her arse and smile.

And yes, I do pull lots of women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambridgemuscle)
    In a club-
    1) **** all the guys who ponce around dancing by her moving closer. go rights up. Tap her on the shoulder, offer your hand, kiss her hand, look her in the eye, smile, stick your thumb up in a gimpish way. Then take that window of opportunity.
    Boy, you'se confused--kissing hands went out of style back in my grandfather's day.

And be careful about sticking your thumb up, boys--sounds dangerous and vague to me. Don't say I didn't warn you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambridgemuscle)
    In a club-

2) This can follow the above or not. Say 'You're fit you are', she'll be taken aback. Put your arm around her and ask if she's going to buy you a drink.

3) Dance around with your mates like lads then pinch her arse and smile.

And yes, I do pull lots of women.
    Are you at Harvard too? What's with all these Cambridge, Mass people tonight?

ReputationRep:
    Nope. No way. That guy is not at Hahvahd.

ReputationRep:
    No, i'm in Walsall at the mo. at cambridge uni. Forgive the flag, i'm reading the federalist papers and got a bit inpsired.

ReputationRep:
    So if they arn't really into dates as a way of getting to know eachother... then what do they do to get to know eachother? (It's a dumb question phrased horribly, but you get the point! ) Being American a date would of course be the obvious way... but I suppose there's other ways, that they'd rather do in the UK?

america is weird in every respect :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.F.N)
    Nope. No way. That guy is not at Hahvahd.
    and you are? I saw you more as an Emerson College student.

ReputationRep:
    and you are? I saw you more as an Emerson College student.
    You don't say! Actually, I'm more of a peasant. Even better, a plebian. A commoner. A simpleton.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.F.N)
    You don't say! Actually, I'm more of a peasant. Even better, a plebian. A commoner. A simpleton.
    Oh yeah I saw you people at Harvard Square with your plastic cups full of 5 dollar bills, begging for money :mad:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.