Turn on thread page Beta

I hate wearing condoms. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Obviously its better without

ReputationRep:
    Statistically, the pill does seem to be a pretty safe bet. It's very unlikely that a girl is going to get pregnant if she is using the pill properly i.e. taking it every day.
    I'm on the pill but the thing that worries me when it comes to not using condoms is the risk of STI's. I'd use a condom unless both me and my boyfriend had been tested and I trusted him.

Oh, and it is obviously better without I believe one of my friends compared it to wearing a raincoat in the shower :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ant93)
    No as i mentioned previously i'm on the pill and my boyf wears a condom.
    Then you're alright. That's very little effort for a high level of protection.

Pregnancy isn't the main thing to worry about. STIs above everything. Not using a condom when you're young is just asking for trouble... but then if you're not bothered, there's always the chance of becoming sterile from the STI and not ever having to worry about pregnancy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laces)
    I'm on the pill but the thing that worries me when it comes to not using condoms is the risk of STI's. I'd use a condom unless both me and my boyfriend had been tested and I trusted him.
    I solve this by not sleeping around, and only going with people I completely trust to be honest with me!

I suppose I would have been more apprehensive about sex without a condom if my boyfriend hadn't been a virgin too, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    Then you're alright. That's very little effort for a high level of protection.

Pregnancy isn't the main thing to worry about. STIs above everything. Not using a condom when you're young is just asking for trouble... but then if you're not bothered, there's always the chance of becoming sterile from the STI and not ever having to worry about pregnancy.
    lol problem solved!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kavanne)
    I solve this by not sleeping around, and only going with people I completely trust to be honest with me!

I suppose I would have been more apprehensive about sex without a condom if my boyfriend hadn't been a virgin too, though.
    Ahem! Don't get me wrong, I don't sleep around at all- but I have had a couple of short-term boyfriends and I didn't trust them 100% because I didn't know them as well as my previous long-term boyfriend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laces)
    Ahem! Don't get me wrong, I don't sleep around at all- but I have had a couple of short-term boyfriends and I didn't trust them 100% because I didn't know them as well as my previous long-term boyfriend.
    well if your long-term boyfriends are anything like any of my friends were when they were 18, then I would advise using a condom...

It's not about trusting. At that age, unless you've been with someone for a year or two (and even then...) you shouldn't take the risk.

A friend of my housemate went to Canada, had a "crazy" time and came back HIV positive and he's straight...

ReputationRep:
    well if your long-term boyfriends are anything like any of my friends were when they were 18, then I would advise using a condom...

It's not about trusting. At that age, unless you've been with someone for a year or two (and even then...) you shouldn't take the risk.

A friend of my housemate went to Canada, had a "crazy" time and came back HIV positive and he's straight...
    I take it thats why your so concerned, what made him go and get a check up? I thought the symtoms didnt show until later in life

ReputationRep:
    Wait until you're older and in a very serious relationship before even considering forgetting the condom.

When you're still a teenager and not using a condom, you're just being foolish.
    You're completely right IMO anyway.
    Plan on waiting until i get to that stage.

ReputationRep:
    what exactly is HIV aids, and how is it bad? (edit: never fully understood it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riddy)
    I take it thats why your so concerned, what made him go and get a check up? I thought the symtoms didnt show until later in life
    He was a mate of my housemate from Nottingham. We shared a house in Canada. I didn't see the friend after the incident. Only a couple of months later, once he'd got back home, I found out through my housemate.

The thing is, people don't realise how easy it is to catch an STI... I had an STI scare when I slept with a girlfriend I'd broken up and got back together with. In the meantime, she'd slept around and caught something.

ReputationRep:

OK, you're not the only one with 'life experience' mate. I'm nearly 21 and the long-term boyfriend I referred to was a boyfriend of 4 years, which I think merits a little bit of trust, don't you?

Also, I think a few of the members of TSR may resent the implication that those who contract HIV are generally homosexual

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil23)
    what exactly is HIV aids, and how is it bad? (edit: never fully understood it)
    Its a sexually transmitted disease which can turn into aids over time. Aids basically attacks the immune system so that eventually something like a small cold can kill

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riddy)
    Its a sexually transmitted disease which can turn into aids over time. Aids basically attacks the immune system so that eventually something like a small cold can kill
    aghh...thanks for the clarification

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laces)
    OK, you're not the only one with 'life experience' mate. I'm nearly 21 and the long-term boyfriend I referred to was a boyfriend of 4 years, which I think merits a little bit of trust, don't you?

Also, I think a few of the members of TSR may resent the implication that those who contract HIV are generally homosexual
    HIV is more commonly transmitted among hetrosexuals its a fact

ReputationRep:
    People on this thread are worryingly irresponsible....

The pill won't protect you against STDs. Tell me everyone on this thread who has ever had sex without a condom has been tested with every single partner and is 100% that neither party has ever cheated and I'll call you a liar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil23)
    aghh...thanks for the clarification
    I wasnt sure which part you didnt know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laces)

Yes, I think that does merit a bit of trust, just like you.

Noone should resent the implication. Anyone who's had an STI test will know that you are asked your sexual preference and your sexual habits because some acts such as anal sex increase the risk of transmission. For example, you can have vaginal penetration with someone who has HIV and not actually catch the virus. The probability of catching it is lower than through anal sex.

ReputationRep:
    HIV is the virus that causes the disease AIDs. I think it destroys lymphocytes resulting in immunodeficiency. Eventually, even a normally minor infection can prove life-threatening.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I think that does merit a bit of trust, just like you.

Noone should resent the implication. Anyone who's had an STI test will know that you are asked your sexual preference and your sexual habits because some acts such as anal sex increase the risk of transmission. For example, you can have vaginal penetration with someone who has HIV and not actually catch the virus. The probability of catching it is lower than through anal sex.
    Ok, but the way you said it was like '*gasp* and he was straight!'
    Yes, I accept that it is harder to contract aids through vaginal penetration, (only 1/300 chance or something) but remember that anal sex is far more common in hetrosexual relationships nowadays..

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2005
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.