Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If I were you, I wouldn't go.

ReputationRep:
    ahh conflicting advice! ('well what were you expecting?!' i hear people cry! )

susiemakemeblue- you're right on both things. I would feel bad if i didnt go, its in my nature (i dont mean to sound snobby there, but its true!). And yes, i would feel crap if no-one turned up to my party. But there will be peoplethere, plus the fact tis a joint party decreases the odds of a complete no show.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susiemakemeblue)
    Plus - just think how crap she will feel if no one wants to go to her party? I'd hate that.
    Yeah but you aren't some ***** who loves herself. Actually, I don't know you, so you might be....but in her original post she mentioned that she kinda loves herself and likes to boast about it.

Now, I'm a nice enough person, but if someone's annoying and thinks everyone loves them (and loves the attention), then there's nothing more satisfying to see their face when they realise that not many people do actually like them (However, there are VERY few people I know who I'd like to see this happen to as I'm not *that* mean)

Though my advice - definitely go, to be honest, all these people who say they're not going might end up going because it's a house party with alcohol and a bit of fun. I used to go to random house parties held by people I didn't know/like that well because my mates were there so it would be a laugh. On the point that you don't drink - that might be better because at house parties you always get a lot of very rowdy people, but there's always the few who are sober/not too drunk and would rather chat to someone else sober than a complete drunken idiot

Go to the party...take along a friend if you can, if not, then try to enjoy yourself, get the girl who's birthday it is to introduce you to people, and then if you really don't like it just leave quietly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dobbs)
    Yeah but you aren't some ***** who loves herself. Actually, I don't know you, so you might be....but in her original post she mentioned that she kinda loves herself and likes to boast about it.

Now, I'm a nice enough person, but if someone's annoying and thinks everyone loves them (and loves the attention), then there's nothing more satisfying to see their face when they realise that not many people do actually like them (However, there are VERY few people I know who I'd like to see this happen to as I'm not *that* mean)
    ooh, thats mean!! to clarify, the girl does boast about herself, but unintentionally (although im the type of person who likes to give people the benefit of the doubt...!)

On the point that you don't drink - that might be better because at house parties you always get a lot of very rowdy people, but there's always the few who are sober/not too drunk and would rather chat to someone else sober than a complete drunken idiot
    thats very true, there always are a couple of not too drunk people lurking about!

Go to the party...take along a friend if you can, if not, then try to enjoy yourself, get the girl who's birthday it is to introduce you to people, and then if you really don't like it just leave quietly
    il stay in the shadows, moving further and further towards the door, and make my silent exit! hehehe.

ReputationRep:
    You might even end up enjoying yourself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~nat~)
    il stay in the shadows, moving further and further towards the door, and make my silent exit! hehehe.
    Well if you're not enjoying yourself it'll probably be obvious to other people that you're not enjoying yourself, and so either they'll come and chat to you for random reasons OR if they don't and you leave they'll just realise that you weren't having fun and left, as any sane person would do

And anyway, as Susie says....you might just enjoy yourself!

ReputationRep:
    hey ~nat~

I know exactly how you feel, and I dont think your attitude is 14 year old ish - many people prefer not to talk about it and simply make up some excuss when deep inside they feel the same.

Then again, i dont think you should be thinking about it so much

I recently had the same experience as you: i was invited to this huge house party, where i only knew one person. that person ditched me once we arrived and most ppl were getin pissed. however, as much as i dreaded being left out, i actually managed to talk to ppl etc. like you, im not a heavy drinker.

One thing you could do is be honest. I told my friend the other day that I wasnt too keen on goin clubbing (it was also during exams and there is so much hastle geting in when ur under 18 + i didnt feel like it too much). so i told her how i felt and that was it.

i think its really nasty and lame for your schoolmates to want to ditch that partygirl in last minute.

so my advice is, just go and im sure you'll be relieved. not everybody drinks you'll find (most prob) and you dont have to stay the entire night (your parents want you back). i used to be quite shy, and to some extent i still am, but i think that you need experience to move on. nowdays, i dont give something a second thought- i simply go for it and so should you. im sure ull have a laugh in the end (maybe ull get pissed who knows - its not what i would usually do, but if you do it could be fun lol )

anyhoo, if you need anything post here/pm me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susiemakemeblue)
    You might even end up enjoying yourself!

heaven forbid i should do that!!!!! :eek:

lol i know im worrying too much (understatement of the year there) - I am a worrier, and, as i said earlier, pretty shy.

thats for your input guys. Like you mentioned, dobbs, hopefully people'll mingle a bit so i can chat with them - if they dont, i only have you to blame for getting my hopes up!! (joke!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~nat~)
    heaven forbid i should do that!!!!! :eek:

lol i know im worrying too much (understatement of the year there) - I am a worrier, and, as i said earlier, pretty shy.

thats for your input guys. Like you mentioned, dobbs, hopefully people'll mingle a bit so i can chat with them - if they dont, i only have you to blame for getting my hopes up!! (joke!)
    Blame me all you like....I can take the responsibility!

*Edit* PS. Let us know what you do decide to do and how it went if you decide to go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwait4u)
    hey ~nat~

I know exactly how you feel, and I dont think your attitude is 14 year old ish - many people prefer not to talk about it and simply make up some excuss when deep inside they feel the same.

Then again, i dont think you should be thinking about it so much

I recently had the same experience as you: i was invited to this huge house party, where i only knew one person. that person ditched me once we arrived and most ppl were getin pissed. however, as much as i dreaded being left out, i actually managed to talk to ppl etc. like you, im not a heavy drinker.

One thing you could do is be honest. I told my friend the other day that I wasnt too keen on goin clubbing (it was also during exams and there is so much hastle geting in when ur under 18 + i didnt feel like it too much). so i told her how i felt and that was it.

i think its really nasty and lame for your schoolmates to want to ditch that partygirl in last minute.

so my advice is, just go and im sure you'll be relieved. not everybody drinks you'll find (most prob) and you dont have to stay the entire night (your parents want you back). i used to be quite shy, and to some extent i still am, but i think that you need experience to move on. nowdays, i dont give something a second thought- i simply go for it and so should you. im sure ull have a laugh in the end (maybe ull get pissed who knows - its not what i would usually do, but if you do it could be fun lol )

anyhoo, if you need anything post here/pm me
    thank you! thats really sweet. Its great to know that you can empathise with me - the situation you mentioned sounds pretty much similar to mine
    I'm leaning towards just going or it - and if it all goes pear-shaped for me, then i guess its only one night!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dobbs)
    Blame me all you like....I can take the responsibility!
    lol you're older and wiser than me, so yeah, you can definitely shoulder my blame!

ReputationRep:
    yeah, we'd really like to know how it went (PM me!), maybe we (or at least I lol) could learn somethin ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~nat~)
    lol you're older and wiser than me, so yeah, you can definitely shoulder my blame!
    Older maybe, wiser....maybe not

ReputationRep:
    You need to find a way to get around your inhibitions without alcohol. Here's what you do:

The next time there's a party, go naked. Thats right--go to the party bare-ass. You'll feel liberated and you'll easily overcome any inhibitions you'll have from then on. Guaranteed. And, I also guarantee ya that everyone at that party is gonna notice you, and remember you. You'll be the hit of the next party even if you don't go naked.

That is all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dobbs)
    Older maybe, wiser....maybe not
    lol well im grateful for your views whatever the case!
    im gonna sleep on it, so to speak, and have a think when im less tired and less frazzled...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~nat~)
    lol well im grateful for your views whatever the case!
    im gonna sleep on it, so to speak, and have a think when im less tired and less frazzled...
    Cool - hope it all goes well, say Happy Birthday to the 2 people from me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.F.N)
    You need to find a way to get around your inhibitions without alcohol. Here's what you do:

The next time there's a party, go naked. Thats right--go to the party bare-ass. You'll feel liberated and you'll easily overcome any inhibitions you'll have from then on. Guaranteed. And, I also guarantee ya that everyone at that party is gonna notice you, and remember you. You'll be the hit of the next party even if you don't go naked.

That is all.
    lol! i'll, er, keep that in mind... do you know if its successful from personal experience!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dobbs)
    Cool - hope it all goes well, say Happy Birthday to the 2 people from me!
    i hope it goes well too i'll pass on your good wishes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~nat~)
    lol! i'll, er, keep that in mind... do you know if its successful from personal experience!
    Yep. Its fail-proof, I tell ya.

ReputationRep:
    i'd just go along for a bit. if it's awful, then make an excuse and leave. i doubt you'd be the only shy person there, and i'm sure you could find people to talk to. as far as drinking goes, don't worry about it! i'm not a heavy drinker at all, (plus i live in the middle of nowhere and have to drive everywhere) so i'm normally the only sober person at parties. but that is actually a really good thing. if people are pissed they will not be able to remember what you did so you can be as loud and silly as you like, without having to worry about it. what's more, you're in control of what you do and there is no chance that you will end up sleeping with your head in a toilet bowl. go! go and have fun!!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.