step stair investigation Watch

This discussion is closed.
kav
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
hi. i need help with the final formula with my maths coursework. its really hard. did ne 1 find the formula? how did u find it? please help, its in the first day i go bk. thanx
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
What's your question? What is the "step stair" investigation?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
I have the same prob as u. Have u recieved any information about the correct rule. I have been on the web and i have found 1 rule but i do not understand.here it is

(x(x+1)/2n+(g+1)/6(x-1)(x+1)(x)

If u do find nemore info

Plz could u email me at

[email protected]

Cheers
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
i heard my teacher say that the answer (and i know for a fact that this has something to do with it)

(0.5n^2 + 0.5n)

The formula above shows the formula for finding out how many squares there are in total inside the step-stair

IE: total amount of squares in the 4-step stair is 10.

n = the step-stair you are looking at:
IE a 4-step stair.

so the formula to find out how many squares are inside a 4-steo stair would be as follows:

(0.5x4^2 + 0.5x4) = 10
Memento
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
If you let us know a litle more perhaps we can help too.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
I've got up to where you find formulas for the 4-step, 5-step and 6-step stairs on different grids, and ive done translations 2, and i understand everything up to where you have to find a formula for ANY size stair on ANY size grid an im stuck. can anyone help??

dunno if i can help anyone, but here r the formulas ive come up with (when the stair number is the number in the bottom left hand corner an this number is s):
3-step stair on 10x10 grid: 6s+44
" " 9x9 grid: 6s+40
" " 8x8 grid: 6s+36
" " 7x7 grid: 6s+32

you need to write out an explanation like this:

s+2g
s+g s+g+1
s s+1 s+2 (like its a 3-step stair)

add them all together an you get
s+s+1+s+2+s+g+s+g+1+s+2g an you get 6s+4g+4 which is a formula for a 3-step stair on any grid.
The ones for the other step stair are pretty much the same.

BUT I REEEEEELY NEED HELP WITH THE FORMULA FOR ANY STAIR ON ANY GRID!
apparently its something to do with triangle numbers according to my teacher.....

pleez help!

luv becki
xxxxx
Helper
Report 14 years ago
Guyz u no u don't need the final final formula which combines everything to get an A*. All u need to get up to is the formula for changing the size of the step stairs and u explain all the formulas u get in detail u will get an A*.
Helper
Report 14 years ago
The first bit of that formula are triangle numbers!But the second bit of the formula is more complicated and I don't know how to describe in detail how I find the second part of the formula for different step sizes
hannah144
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Helper)
Guyz u no u don't need the final final formula which combines everything to get an A*. All u need to get up to is the formula for changing the size of the step stairs and u explain all the formulas u get in detail u will get an A*.
So you can work out the formula for any size step stair and you don't have to combine it so you get a formula for any step stair on any grid, you can just work out another formula for any size grid?????

Help pls, ive gotta hand this in on tuesday so it can be sent of to the exam board that day!!!?!?!?!?!

frm Hannah
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?