Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been looking up places to apply to for university next year, but on the courses i want to apply to at many universitys one of the minimum requirements is a science subject, or a science based subject and is no more descriptive than that. Next year I will be taking A-Level Computing and Psychology (along with Chemistry, but universitys specifically ask for this) and i wondered if anybody knew if they qualify as Science subjects (because after all i am in the Sciences faculty at sixth form) If anybody could help it would be appreciated

PS I have allready e-mailed uni's and few have replied 2 weeks later so im still pretty much in the dark. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Usually when universities say a science subject they mean one of:

Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths or Further Maths

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Damn, still though, I could allways live in hope waiting for relplies to those emails, lol.

ReputationRep:
    Some universities specify what they class as a science subject - I know that some include ICT, Psychology, Human Biology and Geography, whereas others prefer the traditional four: Physics, Maths, Chemistry and Maths. And then there are those (sensible) universities that don't class Further Maths as a science subject, as they don't differentiate it from Maths, and thus is not treated as another subject at all.
    However, as a humanities man, I can't be wholly trusted on my opinon and there is a high probability that I'm false, but I am 'Careers and University Prefect' at school (thank you Grammar school and their pretence)

ReputationRep:
    It's probably going to be: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths.

What are your A2 subjects though? Sometimes they class other things as sciences.. it's wierd.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the uni but usually Psychology and Geography are also classed as sciences along with some others

ReputationRep:
    Geography is usually classed as a science as are maths and psychology What course are you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    I'd personally say computing and psychology were sciences, but they may only accept biology, maths or physics as well as chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    It's probably going to be: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths.

What are your A2 subjects though? Sometimes they class other things as sciences.. it's wierd
    Next year my A2 Subjects will be (as far as i know) Chemistry, Computing, Psychology and General Studies.

Geography is usually classed as a science as are maths and psychology What course are you applying for?
    I will be applying for a Chemistry with Medicinal Chemistry course (in some form)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diachrom)
    Some universities specify what they class as a science subject - I know that some include ICT, Psychology, Human Biology and Geography, whereas others prefer the traditional four: Physics, Maths, Chemistry and Maths. And then there are those (sensible) universities that don't class Further Maths as a science subject, as they don't differentiate it from Maths, and thus is not treated as another subject at all.
    However, as a humanities man, I can't be wholly trusted on my opinon and there is a high probability that I'm false, but I am 'Careers and University Prefect' at school (thank you Grammar school and their pretence)
    Disagree. No further arguments needed.

ReputationRep:
    there's always one
    *rolls eyes sarcastically before entering a disturbing moment of deep contemplation*

ReputationRep:
    how can maths be considered a science? maths is maths.

I do geology and apparently thats considered a science, allthough its half humanity, half science.

I get the impression that when they say a science based subject they just meant any subject that isn't a language or one of the "new" a-levels.

ReputationRep:
    Science according to the dictionary is "The observation, identification, description, experimental investigation, and theoretical explanation of phenomena. "
    If you can describe maths as the observation, identification, description, experimental investigation, and theoretical explanation of phenomena which I believe you can then you have yourself a science.

In the dictionary Maths is "a science (or group of related sciences) dealing with the logic of quantity and shape " and arrangement [syn: mathematics, math]

www.dictionary.com

ReputationRep:
    By the way, i FINALY got a few emails back from the emails i sent a few weeks ago, turns out that Bath, edinburgh and possibly york (they wouldnt give a deffinate answer, but they did say that offers are considered on there own merit, not that I deffinatly wouldnt be accepted without Biology, Physics or maths, so it looks hopefull) would accept other things than Biology, Physics or maths as a maths or science subject, Ill let everyone know if any more replies.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.