Thank you for having me around

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_wizzz)
    do you say:

Thank you for having me round or

thanks
    I think I would say 'thanks for having me' - if you're thanking someone for letting you stay at theirs, I assume.

ReputationRep:
    yh...i stayed round...i'm not sure...seems stupid but they are very grammatically correct people!

ReputationRep:
    Isn't "round" (around, etc) just colloquial and not really proper anyway? I vote for "thank you for having me" too - it's definitely more formal.

"Many thanks, for allowing me to temporarily reside in your abode."

As Profesh would so have it.

ReputationRep:
    "I would like to offer you my sincerest thanks and deepest gratitude for allowing me to temporarily reside in your very gracious home."

ReputationRep:
    ta very much like for lettin me stay in your pit

ReputationRep:
    neither, but sound dreadful.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: @ 2+2=5

ReputationRep:
    Why are people giving alternatives? :rolleyes: The question is about the grammar in that specific sentence. Surely it makes no sense to start giving synonymous expressions.

It's "round", I think.

ReputationRep:
    well if you were to use either of those, the first one needs to be changed to <'round> because 'round' is round as in circular..<'round> is the shortened version of 'around'.

However, I vote 'Thank you for having me' as this sounds the better. Or perhaps something like 'Thank you for your hospitality'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_wizzz)
    do you say:

Thank you for having me round or

thanks
    Abstain?

ReputationRep:
    Merci boucoup mon ami pour me permettre de résider à votre demeure. Il est beaucoup obligé.

^^
    Try that

ReputationRep:
    Well, neither are grammatically correct. So if you're intending to send a formal letter, neither. However, as has been pointed out, if you insist on sending a colloquial greeting, it's 'round'.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. as if you need another person telling you, neither is particularly good in a FORMAL letter, but at least "thank you for having me round" would fit in an informal letter.

Would you even wish to express such sentiment in a formal letter?
    Who are you writing to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snowfall)
    'Thank you for your hospitality'.
    This sounds fine.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.