Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey i'm going into yr12 next year and i had a meeting with the head of 6th form today and these are the subjects i'm going to take (full A levels in bold rest as levels):

yr 12 = Biology, Chemistry, History, Maths, Futher Maths.

yr 13 = Biology, Chemistry, History, Maths, Philosophy.

According to my teacher these subjects are some of the hardest, and because of how many i'm doing i'm feeling alittle aprihensive.
    I've got a feeling i'll totally break down during those 2 years, and seeing as i have a life, will i be able to manage these subjects and a social life? :confused:
    I'm bright but i wouldn't say the brightest in my school, arghhh i just love too many damn subjects :rolleyes: :rolleyes: !!!!

xx

ReputationRep:
    you can always drop one or two if it gets too hard, I say go for it!!

ReputationRep:
    unless you really enjoy them why waste your time on them all unversities base offers at max on 3 A levels and an AS do four and chill out

ReputationRep:
    Since your doing further maths at AS Level, I don't see the point in doing single maths in your A level course. I don't know anybody who has taken 5 subjects at A level, apparently studying 4 subjects is very hard alone!!!
    I would think carefully before making a decision on this. Having said that, best of luck if you do decide to go through with all 5.

ReputationRep:
    Its possible! I managed 6AS, four instruments and an active social life this year! As long as u enjoy the subjects you are doing and can manage your time well and get a nice balance betweet work and play you'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    Whoa now that's a LOT of subjects!

Don;t forget that as well as the teching time you should be spending an hour out of class for every hour in class - and usually more. You have to live as well - don't knock yourself out becuase at the end of the day it's not worth it. By all means start off with the 5 but don't be afraid to drop one (probbably further maths, uni's don't really look at it anyway unless you're planning on doing maths). Good luck with whatever you decide

ReputationRep:
    You really don't need to know yet which subjects you're going to carry on with to A2 and which you're just going to do at AS. You can't predict that as this stage anyway because you might change your mind after actually studying the subjects at AS. If you love all of those subjects and you're confident you can handle the workload, start off with 5, but I must warn you, 4 is enough! You can always drop one if it's too much though.

ReputationRep:
    yr 12 = Biology, Chemistry, History, Maths, Futher Maths.

yr 13 = Biology, Chemistry, History, Maths, Philosophy.
    feeling good is right. It is certainly unlikely that you would ever be able to study the maths like that. In reality it would be more like this:

[Note: here bold shows a full A Level in one year (600) and non-bold is half that (300), either an AS or topping up an AS to an A2]

yr 12 = Biology, Chemistry, History, Maths

yr 13 = Biology, Chemistry, History, Further Maths, Philosophy.

You can't do Further AS with out Maths A Level so you have to do the full maths first. Depending on how good you are at maths this should be fairly straightforward (especially with the new easier course).

I have just finished a year similar to your Y12 with Physics instead of History. The Maths was hard work (lots of it to do by myself) but largely doable. The other sciences were also fairly fine. Overall though 5 AS levels is plenty of work to be doing. Having done it (and being told 5A2s is much worse) I am considering dropping Biology although I reckon I will carry on with them all for the moment at least.

lifter_gav is also spot on. Unis only ever ask for 3 A levels (& one AS). If you do five at AS or A2 it needs to be for yourself, because quite frankly no one else wants them (especially the guys that figure out the timetable at your school!).

At the end of the first year I would reckon your plans will have changed and you will have developed one of the Bio, Chem or History to something you want to drop. But this will be fine as you will be able to drop one without any problems as you are already doing more than the norm.

ReputationRep:
    Try it out at the start of term. If it's too much, then give one up. That's what I'm doing

Michael

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samd)

You can't do Further AS with out Maths A Level so you have to do the full maths first. Depending on how good you are at maths this should be fairly straightforward (especially with the new easier course).
    Yes you can i did it, the new 'easier' course has been set up so that you can but it was possible before

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iceberg_1)
    Yes you can i did it, the new 'easier' course has been set up so that you can but it was possible before
    Does that not involve a load of p*ssing around so that you can do the more tricky stuff without knowing the basics. So you end up dipping in and out of modules like crazy?

ReputationRep:
    I did 5 AS this year and found it fine. Still managed to do a hell of a lot of stuff in and out of school. I'm doing 4 A levels, a GCSE and 3 AEAs next year which is a lot of work but if you're doing what you love and you succeed then you should enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    Critical Thinking =/= Workload of an AS level.

ReputationRep:
    I would choose 4 AS-levels in the first place, then continue 2-4 A2's in year 13. If you are planning to go to uni, check if the subjects you are taking is right, if not you can drop one.

ReputationRep:
    Since your doing further maths at AS Level, I don't see the point in doing single maths in your A level course.
    Piffle... FM is a whole new qualification, not merely an altered version of maths.

further maths, uni's don't really look at it anyway unless you're planning on doing maths).
    How about physics? engineering? chemistry? All these subjects have a significant maths content so further maths will certainly benefit your application if you were to do well.

You should know your limits though, you need to get good grades in your subjects for your university application, don't let one subject jepordise the rest.

ReputationRep:
    go for it, I'm doing 5 AS starting in september. Just make sure you arrange with the head of sixth form that you can drop 1 after a term if you are finding it too much.
    What I would suggest though is that you swap further maths with philosophy.
    You will find Further maths hard if you are doing it similtaneously to your Maths AS, it will be much easier next to your Maths A2.

You have a tough set of subjects , but if you want to do it I don't see why it should be a problem.

I'm doing Physics, Chem, Eng Lit, Maths and F Maths and have had two induction days of them and it doesn't seem too much work

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    well i plan on doing 5 not gen studies or critical thinking and i think its perfectly do-able.

ReputationRep:
    My 6th form advises people to do 4 AS Levels (excluding General Studies which is compulsory and Critiical Thinking) with the option to carry all 4 (5 in you include GS) subjects to A2 Level, with the expectation that most people will drop 1 after the first year; therefore carrying 3 to A2 Level. I know someone who is doing 5 AS Levels and they have virtually no time for private study except Wedneday Afternoons, I think. My advice would be to try it and then if it is too much, don't hesitate to drop it because your other grades might well suffer as a result.

ReputationRep:
    if you love what you do, then go for it. If you dont, then drop one

ReputationRep:
    and have had two induction days of them and it doesn't seem too much work
    That made me laugh out loud.

My induction days didn't involve any work whatsoever. We just did a few practicals.

5ASs is doable, as you will see in September. But I think you might find you have a fair bit of work.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.