Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can you please tell me how many courseworks there are and what modules, etc? Just a breif outline :p: thanks x

ReputationRep:
    The exact course you follow will depend on your exam board, and where there's a choice of texts, your teacher's preference. For AS with Edexcel, I did drama and poetry for Unit 1, pre-1900 prose for unit 2 and Much Ado About Nothing (coursework) for Unit 3. The poetry was an anthology put together by Edexcel, the drama was Translations by Brian Friel and the pre-1900 prose was Hard Times by Charles Dickens. The coursework was about the roles of women in the play. Unit 1 was 2 hours, an hour for each question, with a choice of 2 for each. Unit 2 was an hour, only 1 question from a choice of 2. The coursework was 1500 words. Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much, erm could you tell me how many pieces of coursework there are at AS? And A2?
    Also, is there any drama involved in any of the classes?!
    :eek:

ReputationRep:
    For my course there's one piece at AS (1500 words) and one at A2 (2500 words). If you mean drama as in acting, no, although sometimes one of our teachers has tried to make us act out bits of the play, but we refused and just read it aloud instead :p:

ReputationRep:
    ohhhh then I'm going to really enjoy this course!! I was dreading that there was any drama involved, like acting out stuff, but it sounds to me this course is really interesting!
    Thanks for your help ! You deserve a rep thingy!
    :p:

ReputationRep:
    I did AQA Specification A, which involved 2 Coursework Pieces, 1 per year. The year 12 one was 2000 words long, on one piece of text (We studied relationships in Hamlet) and the Year 13 one was 2500 words long, on 2 pieces of text (We got to write our own titles, I did a comparison between Nature and Man in "A Passage to India" By EM Forster and a selection of Thom Gunn's Poetry. Other books we studied were The Handmaid's Tale, Dr Faustus, The Whitsun Weddings, Othello, Songs of Innocence and Experience, and a selection of War Literature. We were lucky to have a pretty cool teacher who let us act out some of the scenes from the plays in class, but I don't know how many teachers do that :P

ReputationRep:
    I am intendig to do a combined English and English Literature course for AS starting in September, subject to my GCSE Results. According to the information that we have about the course we do one piece of coursework in the first year and a second piece of coursework in the A-Level year. The AS coursework is on ''Unit 3 - the production of texts'' and the A2 coursework is on ''Unit 4 - Text transformation''. It may be different if you are just taking the Literature course though. I think a lot depends on your teacher's preference - sometimes they are given a choice of which texts and/or Poetry to study, in the same way as GCSE. You coulf ask them or visit the exam board's website. Sorry.not much help, I know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gems1107)
    I did AQA Specification A, which involved 2 Coursework Pieces, 1 per year. The year 12 one was 2000 words long, on one piece of text (We studied relationships in Hamlet) and the Year 13 one was 2500 words long, on 2 pieces of text (We got to write our own titles, I did a comparison between Nature and Man in "A Passage to India" By EM Forster and a selection of Thom Gunn's Poetry. Other books we studied were The Handmaid's Tale, Dr Faustus, The Whitsun Weddings, Othello, Songs of Innocence and Experience, and a selection of War Literature. We were lucky to have a pretty cool teacher who let us act out some of the scenes from the plays in class, but I don't know how many teachers do that :P
    I did specification A too. In year 12 I studied Handmaid's Tale (unit 1) Coursework Twelth Night (unit 2) Dr Faustus and The Whitsun Weddings (unit 3) At A2 Volpone and Songs of Innocence and Experience (unit 4) Coursework a comparison of the horror shown in Birdsong and Owen's poetry (unit 5) War literature (unit 6) We didn't really do any acting.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, i just sat AS Lit with Edexcel
    We did for Unit 1 - Drama: A streetcar named desire (absolutely amazing play, tennessee williams is absolutely amazing, if you do this, you will enjoy it soo much, trust me!)
    - Poetry: A poetry anthology put together by Edexcel themselves (some good poems, one of my favourites was Callaloo and the feminist ones {'A photograph of me' and 'Marged'}

Unit 2 - pre-1900 prose (We did 'Emma' by Jane Austen. If you do this, then for the Synoptic paper in A2, you only need to do one: Pride and prejudice, instead of doing 2 different books in one year. Makes the work load easier!)

Unit 3 - coursework (we did 'Much ado about nothing' by Shakespeare. I thoroughly enjoyed this play, its 'funny' and interesting and theres plenty to write on it. My coursework q on that was 'What different types of love are presented in the play...'. V good question. My teacher said i got Full marks...woo hoo!!!)

Hope this has helped! Pick Lit, its v v interesting and you get to have great debates!
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for your help! I am going to check out some of these books that you mentioned during the summer holidays!

Random One

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.