Turn on thread page Beta

Guys: Honestly, would you ever... watch

ReputationRep:
    What if the guy you wanted to marry didnt believe in marriage but you wanted to be with him would you stick to your no marriage before sex idea or would you respect his opinion and stick with him?

ReputationRep:
    i suppose the upside is that if you find a guy with that kind of commitment you're going to be VERY happy with him.
    you should stick to your principles

ReputationRep:
    Reluctantly yes. I would but I wouldn't be 100% happy about it because of my ethics and views about sex.

ReputationRep:
    People these says i dunno, you got go live a bit worryin about to have sex or not to! its a natural instinct! and its part of what having a relationships all about! flippin eck!

ReputationRep:
    Quite honestly - this is the sort of thing that i am always wondering... how much can a guy respect a girl. Respect her morals and values?? If a guy cannot respect a girl there is no use being with the guy cus when push comes to shove will the guy just be after the "physical" girl or who she really is?

incidently - mine is the opposite case. My boyfriend is the one who doesn't want to have sex before he gets married... now how many guys do you find who have and can hold that sort of commitment? He's awesome in every other way so that's what counts!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Well of course, people who wait till marriage don't avoid all kinds of intimacy, I think. As long as you have all of the hugging/kissing, surely that makes the relationship more than a friendship? You don't need the sex to define it as a relationship.
    No, but you do need physical acts, IMHO. The comment wasn't against not having sex before marriage, but when later elaborated that she didn't want to do sexual things either. You don't need sex to define a relationship, but if you remove all sexual acts, then it would leave me feeling unloved and without the ability to express the affection I felt for that person. Just the fact that there's a barrier their seems to suggest the other person either doesn't have that sort of desire for me or doesn't trust me. I understand sex is a different case, many people see it as a sacred thing to share with only one person, once they're married. It's the lack of other physical activities that would bother me. Kissing and hugging is physically intimate, but after a while in a relationship, I'd feel the need to be more intimate and closer to the person. Hugging is intimate, but it's not special, in that I do it with my friends as well. Kissing moreso, but still, it doesn't seem special enough when in a long term relationship.

I think physical intimacy should match mental intimacy. I don't want to got out and sleep with someone I'm not close to. However if I was going out with someone for quite a while, and we were getting really close, but we're still not going beyond kissing, it'd feel out of balance. They may say they have feelings for me, but they don't match that with actions, which would leave me questioning how they feel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allisandro)
    If someone broke up with you because you wouldn't sleep with them, even if they made you happy i don't think you can say they were the one, because they would have respected your wishes, surely?

Thats not what i mean i mean broke up for other reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cornflower_blue)
    incidently - mine is the opposite case. My boyfriend is the one who doesn't want to have sex before he gets married... now how many guys do you find who have and can hold that sort of commitment? He's awesome in every other way so that's what counts!!!
    Well, personally I'm not fussed over it but 'standard' contact like hugging, holding hands, kissing etc would be nice.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.