DMU Retail Buying BA admissions - no A levels

Watch
loosername
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I left school with 11 gcses a-c. Went on to get 4 AS levels.. dropped out of college.. now have a child and work part time. Want to get back into education. Am very interested in doing Retail Buying at DMU but don't meet the entry requirements. I am only 21 and have read you're not classed as a mature student until you are 23. Are there any ways of getting on this course without Alevels? Maybe another course in Leicester? A portfolio is also necessary. What would need to be included in this?

If anybody is on this course, I would be very interested to hear what it is like? Also I really cannot draw... I am good at art in the creative sense but no technical ability when it comes to drawing. Is this necessary on the course? I am not sure whether part time or full time would be more beneficial.. How many hours per week does full time take up?

Any other information would be great, thanks.
legendstar
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by loosername)
I left school with 11 gcses a-c. Went on to get 4 AS levels.. dropped out of college.. now have a child and work part time. Want to get back into education. Am very interested in doing Retail Buying at DMU but don't meet the entry requirements. I am only 21 and have read you're not classed as a mature student until you are 23. Are there any ways of getting on this course without Alevels? Maybe another course in Leicester? A portfolio is also necessary. What would need to be included in this?

If anybody is on this course, I would be very interested to hear what it is like? Also I really cannot draw... I am good at art in the creative sense but no technical ability when it comes to drawing. Is this necessary on the course? I am not sure whether part time or full time would be more beneficial.. How many hours per week does full time take up?

Any other information would be great, thanks.
ring dmu... it doesnt matter that you dnt meet the entry requiremets, if you ask them, im sure they'll allow you on the course
Thelondoni
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't have much experience in this, as I don't even study at DMU. But, a friend of mine wanted to do a Computing course at DMU aged either 21 or 22 at the time (but definitely under 23) , similar qualifications as you. I think he may have dropped out of college even before his AS levels.

He contacted them a few days before the start of term, showed a keen interest in the subject, and got a place.

So yeah, its possible, but would obviously vary between courses. Good Luck
Natasharox
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My friend does this course, and she only got 2 Ds at A Level. She didn't have a portfolio, and hadn't done an arts-based course. But she called up way after the deadline for admissions, had an interview, and they let her in. So, it's worth a shot! Give them a call, as they're quite lenient.
loosername
Well I spoke to them and they have told me that I will need to do the foundation art and design degree but I really don't want to that course as I cannot draw that well and do all the fine art stuff required so not sure what to do really...
charliechildnurse
Report 10 years ago
The course is very textile based. My best friend is on it, in her first year. She has had several projects and exams already, and has had to make dresses and coats... and do a few picture board things. There is also loads of photoshop stuff to do, and she is finding it really hard. I can't comment on the A level things though, but I know the course is artistically challenging, and with lots of textiles.
loosername
(Original post by charliechildnurse)
The course is very textile based. My best friend is on it, in her first year. She has had several projects and exams already, and has had to make dresses and coats... and do a few picture board things. There is also loads of photoshop stuff to do, and she is finding it really hard. I can't comment on the A level things though, but I know the course is artistically challenging, and with lots of textiles.
Yeah i since looked into it further and realised it was actually the textile BSC pathway i wanted to do rather than the fashion BA (which i originally stated). From what i gather, this one is more business orientated and no art qualifications or portfolio is needed, yet they have still said i will need to do the art and foundation course first which i cannot really understand. Entry onto retail buying and the foundation course are exactly the same so I'm not entirely sure why I cannot just be entered on to the course I want to do...

Is your friend doing the fashion pathway?
Rach23
Report 10 years ago
I am currently in my first year doing the textiles pathway. In the first year it is very similar to the fashion pathway, we have had to make a childrens hoody and are currently making a pair of jeans in one of the modules so i would say it is still very textiles based. Photoshop and illustrator are also used alot but there are 'basic training' sections of the module so that you get used to using it before you need to do a bigger assignment. I am in lectures 15 hours a week at the moment but there is also alot of work to do on assignments outside the class. I cannot understand why they would want you to do the art foundation course as although i have a levels, i do not have any particularly artistic qualifications and they let me on the course no problem. Don't know if you have already spoken to the head of course, if not I would suggest maybe giving that a try. Hope this helps and hope that you get the outcome you would like, it may be alot of work but im finding it a really good course.
missmlpham88
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi I graduated from DMU on the Retail Buying Textiles pathway in 2010...
I applied having achieved 11 gcse's inclduing Art and Textiles (A grades)... I didn't het to opursue textiles at A level, so I took an City and Guilds evening course in Design Craft (fashion) for a year in 2005, learning how to make three clothing items using commercial patterns. Also, gaining several weeks experience with a fashion retailer, or fashion / textiles design team will help you. Enquire at London college of fashion as well as there are other couirses available that can get you into the fashion and textiles industry career.

I created a portfolio of work to demonstarte my interest in Textiles.... only do the foundation art and design degree if you want to work in fashion design I say! Show the course tutors that you have a passion and interest in Textiles and fashion business... write a blog, take pictures of fashion on the high street, and attend a sewing class in the evening to top up your knowledge and make garments from scratch... the colleges don't really require a criteria, you may have to pay about £100 to study though unless you can get a subsidy...

All the best. xxx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.81%
I'm not sure (32)
4.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (215)
31.25%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.33%
I'm not a current university student (330)
47.97%

Watched Threads