Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My question is, How does IB compare with academic grades? What i mean is that say an IB student gets a 36 but an academic student gets 86% average and they both apply to the same university and same programs and area. Lets say a 36 is somewhat equivalent to 86% average...than would the IB person have an advantage?

Basically what im looking at is that am i at an advantage over normal academic students if there is for example one spot open and we have equivalent marks???

The reason is becuz i think i can get atleast a 90%, probably more in academic, but in IB my marks will be lower....so will that decrease in marks help in any way?

ReputationRep:
    In short, yes, IB students have an advantage. Why? Because it is a rigorous course of studies and the marking is far more objective and standardised than a school's own marking. However, I don't see why you want to separate IB marks and your school's marks. If you can get a 90% in your school, then just make sure you mention that in your application. That way, both your IB grades and your school's grades will count. But to answer your question, I would say that the student with the IB definitely has an advantage.

ReputationRep:
    ooooo so you get marked from your school and through IB??? so you get two seperate marks?? one from school and one from IB??

btw thanx for everyone whos already posted and future posters//

ReputationRep:
    Well, that does happen at my school, the school gives regular marks out of 100 for each subject, and then you also have the marks you get in your IB Diploma. But you should ask your school, because maybe in your school if you take the IB then you only get IB marks.

ReputationRep:
    so you do also get normal marks??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by exams)
    so you do also get normal marks??
    What do you mean by 'normal' though?
    It really does depend on the school you're attending. In my school we didn't get any grades whatsoever until the terminal exams. We did write tests, but they were only meant to give us feedback and it didn't matter if you got a low score provided you knew you hadn't learnt. We also did get predicted grades apparently, as does everyone, but we never were told what they were until after we had got the diploma results.
    So after two years we only have the IB Diploma results with grades (and the translation with grades converted into the national system); we don't have any 'certificate' with grades in our subjects through the year unlike those attending the national programme.

ReputationRep:
    by normal i mean like if you weren't doing the IB program, the regular stream. Like what im trying to figure out is that in IB my average in marks (we do get marks year long, for tests etc.) would be very low maybe low 80's 70's but in the regular stream i would probably get 90+. So will universities care about the average or do they just look at the points....what i said is probably really confusing but im also really confused about what universities will look at....

ReputationRep:
    If you mean UK universities, they will mostly look at one thing: predicted grades. These are the IB grades that your school/teachers think you will get. Make sure that your predicted grades are included in your UCAS reference. Then, using those predicted grades, unis will give you conditional offers. An example of a conditional offer is "36 points overall with a 6 in Math HL", or anything similar to that, obviously they can specify a certain grade in any subject depending on what you want to study. After you get your official IB results, you will find out if you met your offer. If you did, then you're officially admitted to the univeristy. So, if you mean UK universities, then yes, they will look at your official IB grades; they will make you an offer of admission based on them.

ReputationRep:
    hey
    i was wondering how much unis like cambridge place emphasis on reports. i was thinking of applying for economics but on my school internal exam i got a C+ (uncharacteristically), which will show on my report. for the actual IB exam, i will get a predicted 7. anyone think its still worth applying?

-from australia

ReputationRep:
    Yes, if you have a predicted 7, apply with that, and try not to mention that C+ if possible.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.