Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Another question>> Do IB students get advanced standing in university for Higher Level courses?

Does it go by marks? Does it even exist?? I would just like to know about this ....

ReputationRep:
    I think this is similar to your academic grades comparison question. However, I would say that it would largely depend on the country you are studying/applying in. In Australia, IB is recognised, however individual subjects are not given greater emphasis - essentially it is the final mark that counts - in which case, the only advantage of studying IB is to be better prepared for year one university. In Germany, IB isn't even recognised - so there the Abitur (I believe) is your only means of getting into uni.
    In England, it is placed on the same scale as A Levels, so there you have no advantage over A Levelers either. Except perhaps your SLs are harder than the subjects they don't choose to take at A Level. (I'm not entirely clear on the English system, so take this with a grain of salt).
    In the end, the general consensus is that if you work your butt off, you will be generally better off - however there are not any distinct advantages in doing the IB programme for application to universities.
    Which country are you in? IB1 or IB2?

ReputationRep:
    In the US, practically all colleges will grant you course credit for HL exams (however, required scores may vary from school to school). Also, some colleges even give credit for a 6 or 7 on SL exams, and sometimes even credit for certain EE or ToK scores (but these are pretty rare). Each college's website should give a more detailed explanation.

ReputationRep:
    i am in Canada...however im still not sure if i want to goto university/college in the US or stay in canada....does anyone know about the canadian system of IB and advanced placement??

btw thanx for everyone whos already posted and future posters//

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know, there is only advanced placement for IB in the US, and I think to a certain extent also in Canada. But for the US, I think that you have to take Advanced Placement exams right before you enter the university (that means you need to study a lot the summer after your IBs) and only if you pass those exams, you can 'jump' the first year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pasci)
    As far as I know, there is only advanced placement for IB in the US, and I think to a certain extent also in Canada. But for the US, I think that you have to take Advanced Placement exams right before you enter the university (that means you need to study a lot the summer after your IBs) and only if you pass those exams, you can 'jump' the first year.
    No, AP exams are taken in May just like IB's - IB and AP are roughly equivalent programs. Some US schools don't recognize IB and will only grant credit for AP's (which is why most of us take the AP's relevant to our IB subjects). Some grant credit only for your HL's, and some give up to a year or more for the full diploma (you enter as a sophomore and finish in three years). Some let you use your exam results for placement in higher-level courses than a typical freshman takes, but you don't get credit toward graduation. A very small number of colleges are starting to deny advanced credit/placement at all, for AP or IB exams.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=raven] In Germany, IB isn't even recognised - so there the Abitur (I believe) is your only means of getting into uni.
    QUOTE]

I'm afraid you are wrong. Since someone went to court a couple of years ago the IB is recognized in Germany as well. In order to be recognized you have to fulfill a few requirements such as having a science at HL and a few other things.
    For information hit this very interesting official link (it is in German!!) :confused:
    www.nps-brd.nrw.de/BezRegDdorf/ autorenbereich/Dezernat_48/PDF/IB_FAQ1.pdf

Another interesting country for German speaking IB candidates is Austria. They recognize the IB if you have a min. of 28 points. No further requirements such as "you have to have taken subject xyz" :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I stand corrected :cool:

ReputationRep:
    That's ok! Things seem to change very fast in that respect. It is even possible that all this nonsense about having to take a science at HL will disappear soon as well, since Germany is introducing "12 years to Abitur! (as opposed to now 13 years).
    As you can see from the link I posted , you still stand a chance even if you did not take a science at HL, because you can do the extra tests (Anerkennungspruefung or Feststellungspruefung) which are supposed to be managable if your German is ok.
    Austria is an interesting alternative especially for people who are interested in studying medicine. (Easier to get into Uni)

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.