Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This is going to sound a bit stupid, but I am starting a new job in a ladies wear store tomorrow and am going in for 'till training', but havent got a clue what to expect!

I have worked in retail before, but not on the till. I have been told the training would last 2 hours, can anyone who has done this tell me what's involved? Sorry to sound so stupid but like I said, havent got a clue what to expect!

ReputationRep:
    How to use the till (believe it or not ), chip & pin (possibly), cashing up the till, security stuff, cheques, staff discounts, vouchers (accepting and selling), how to deal with change disputes, cashback (possibly). I've probably missed some things... You might be given a manual to read - when I had to read one last year (over 70 pages!) hardly any of it made sense to me, and it all seemed so complicated. But when you actually use a till, it's easy

Also for some of that time you might be watching someone on a till, and then you might be watched yourself while serving.

ReputationRep:
    yeh basically, i never had proper till training and nearly charged someone 9701.40 instead of 970.14 on their card due to not concentrating properly.

ReputationRep:
    My till traing last nearly two days! It's not hard work, my comany just want to make sure people can get to hold of handling cash, card transactions, cheques, any vouchers given/sold, refunds, etc before they're let loose on their own! I've trained people and all I do is sit behind them and check they are ok. Usually, they watch me for about 10 to 20 minutes, then they get on the till. It's not hard at all though, there's nothing to worry about, and if you do make a mistake whilst having training, or even after it, there'll always be someone around to lend a hand or sort it out for you.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.