Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For related subjects later, like engineering, physics etc, definitely because you'll have a headstart on a lot of the knowledge.

For unrelated subjects, it still proves that you're very clever, have a logical mind and are good at managing time and workload. And that's never bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucasharrison)
    Hi there,
    we're just having sixth form induction days after finishing GCSE exams and i was wondering is further maths a good AS level to have?
    I was planning on doing:
    Maths, chemistry, physics, history and further maths (providing i got an A* in maths for GCSE) and dropping further maths for A2, but after seeing the workload for these subjects i think it might be too much?? Maths and physics have always been my strongest subjects, but i dont think i will do a degree in maths. More likely to be physics or engineering
    as most of the people said if you want to do ngineering, furthe rmaths would be very helpful, its not deperately needed but it would give you a good basis. Also, in some schools, if you take both maths and further maths, they would teach you the whole maths Alevel in the first year and then start teaching the further stuff the next year so it would be pointless to drop it. In my opinion do both! maths rocks! and in some topics of physics its just mechanics which you would learn in maths.

ReputationRep:
    Do further maths because its really fun. At AS now the difference in material and how "hard" it is is huge. If you're going to get an A* you will be really bored just doing maths. And do history, because you need to get out of that frame of mind every now and again or your brain will explode. (trust me, it happens)

Plus if your school is anything like my school you'll do C1-4 and S1-2 in maths, and all the good stuff like M1-2 and FP1-2 in further. Just don't let them make you do D1

ReputationRep:
    Oi, D1 is cool!

ReputationRep:
    uurrrggghh i have totally and completely failed that module. Its cool maybe, and you can read more murderous maths as part of your revision, but its impossible to figure out your mistakes and if you do make one you won't realise for another 3 years likei did with almost every question in the exam.

Anyway, do further maths. all the modules but D1 are much more interesting than the normal maths modules

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Further Maths isnt essential for engineering. Im going in to my 3rd year at newcastle doing electronic engineering. For my a levels I did maths(mechanics), physics, business studies and psychology. None of the universities I applied to asked me why I didnt do further maths (not even cambridge) so they dont have a problem if you havent done it. Not that many people on my course have done further maths I dont think, maybe 6/7 out of 50 or so.

Hope this helps

Rachael

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    For Engineering, Maths, Physics and Computer Science related degrees, Further Maths will put you at an advantage.
    What he said.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.