The Student Room Group

Should I call a doctor out?

So yesterday I woke up and had a very strange rash over my face. I'd had a couple of spots for a few days before, but this was ridiculous. My whole face, except for my forehead, was literally covered in them. I went to the doctor, who wasn't sure what it was, so he gave me antibiotics and told me to put nothing on it and keep out of the heat.

And then this morning I just looked in a mirror and it's got way worse. My cheeks are all swelled up to the extent that I can see them obscuring my vision. It's really sore, but not itchy. My skin is starting to peel a bit too. My glands are up too. I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry (but in reality I can do neither because I can't move my face that much).

So my question is this. Should I call the doctor out to visit me at home, or leave it and see what happens tomorrow? I don't want to cause a fuss over nothing, because I only saw my GP yesterday afternoon, but I've never seen anything like this before, and there's no way I'm leaving the house like this. It hurts to put my glasses on anyway, so I'd probably get run over if I tried.

Wah! Help please!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Get your mum to run you down the doctors. Doctors will very rarely do housecalls but it definitely does sound like you need it looking at.
The peeling is slightly worrying I would have thought.
go to see youir GP again today.

MB
viviki
Get your mum to run you down the doctors.

She's at work :frown: But if she's home before the doctors shuts I'll get her to drive me there.

I just realised it's spread to my neck... wah!
Reply 4
could it be an allergic reaction? do something about it now b4 it gets worse
This may sound really stupid, but its just an idea. Have u been in the sun a lot these past few days?, coz i know it seems a bit severe for sunburn, but that could explain the peeling, and i have heard that some ppl do react to changes in heat, which can cause them to get rashes, just like ppl get heatlumps. It might just be something to do with that, which is why the doc told u to keep out of the heat.

Hope it gets better, dont worry too much about it. :smile: but defo get to the doc's again if u can, if only to put ur mind at rest. X
ProvenAngel
This may sound really stupid, but its just an idea. Have u been in the sun a lot these past few days?, coz i know it seems a bit severe for sunburn, but that could explain the peeling, and i have heard that some ppl do react to changes in heat, which can cause them to get rashes, just like ppl get heatlumps. It might just be something to do with that, which is why the doc told u to keep out of the heat.

I don't think it's the heat, because I've been at work out of the sun all day for the last week. I think the reason for keeping out of the heat was just that rashes tend to be a bit puffier in heat. However, I can't think of any reason why it might have happened, so maybe the heat is contributing... it's pretty severe for a heat rash if it is though!
Reply 7
covered farm wagon
So yesterday I woke up and had a very strange rash over my face. I'd had a couple of spots for a few days before, but this was ridiculous. My whole face, except for my forehead, was literally covered in them. I went to the doctor, who wasn't sure what it was, so he gave me antibiotics and told me to put nothing on it and keep out of the heat.

And then this morning I just looked in a mirror and it's got way worse. My cheeks are all swelled up to the extent that I can see them obscuring my vision. It's really sore, but not itchy. My skin is starting to peel a bit too. My glands are up too. I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry (but in reality I can do neither because I can't move my face that much).

So my question is this. Should I call the doctor out to visit me at home, or leave it and see what happens tomorrow? I don't want to cause a fuss over nothing, because I only saw my GP yesterday afternoon, but I've never seen anything like this before, and there's no way I'm leaving the house like this. It hurts to put my glasses on anyway, so I'd probably get run over if I tried.

Wah! Help please!

If you're not in serious pain and you can walk i doubt the doctor will come to you - it's selfish to ask them really! don a hat and some sunglasses and go to a chemist, ask the pharmacist's opinion - they might advise you to go back to the GP, or suggest something over the counter. if you've got antibiotics already, though, they probably will just advise to keep taking them and sit it out.
covered farm wagon
I don't think it's the heat, because I've been at work out of the sun all day for the last week. I think the reason for keeping out of the heat was just that rashes tend to be a bit puffier in heat. However, I can't think of any reason why it might have happened, so maybe the heat is contributing... it's pretty severe for a heat rash if it is though!

aaaawww *hugs*

I have no idea then, but still dont worry. If it makes u feel ANY better, ive just been sat on my chair weird and now have a really big scar looking redy - purple line across the whole of my leg. I have to go out in a bit and im wearin a skirt. hhmm..thats gonna look pretty! :p:

Call the doc out if u dont want to brave the outside world. Just plz get it checked out again. If ur worried about it, there's no way u cud be creating a fuss about anything. :smile:
Reply 9
If you cant get to the doctors and you want to see one then I would say call one to see if they can come to you, whats the worse that can happen? they will just say no if they cant do it.
Reply 10
i have a friend who had the exact syptoms last week, she got tests done , and showed she was allergic to pine trees. the dr sent her some tablets , which seem to be keeping it at bay
Reply 11
Possily phone the surgery and see what they say. Otherwise maybe worth getting a taxi or friend to take you up.
Reply 12
i would *definitely* see a doc
see a doctor...better to be safe and all that :smile:
Reply 14
Babyshambles
see a doctor...better to be safe and all that :smile:

He's been to the doctors and got antibiotics.

First step today would be to go to a pharmacy to get the pharmacist's opinion, then they can tell him if he does need another GP's appointment.
OK, I've made an appointment for this afternoon, because the infection seems to have spread into my eye. Thanks for your help everyone - I never can tell the difference between being sensible and being fussy. Man, it really hurts - I hope it goes away soon.
Thanks again for advice!
covered farm wagon
OK, I've made an appointment for this afternoon, because the infection seems to have spread into my eye. Thanks for your help everyone - I never can tell the difference between being sensible and being fussy. Man, it really hurts - I hope it goes away soon.
Thanks again for advice!

No probs! Hope it all goes well. Keep me posted, coz its confuzzled me! :p: X
look on the internet for symptoms of scarlet fever, coz i had that and it sounds similar
Reply 18
make the best of it..take photos of yourself soo you can look at them on a later date and laugh.... :p: :p:
ye do go and see the doc to put your mind at rest at least
Well, I went to the doctor. He doesn't know what it is either. So he got another doctor to look at my poor face, and then called a dermatologist, and then got a nurse to take some swabs from it! And I have to go back tomorrow morning to see if it's getting better. In the meantime, I have some fancy new tablets to take in case it is a viral infection.

I think this means I wont be able to collect Harry Potter at midnight on Friday! :bawling:

Latest

Trending

Trending