oxford interview question Watch

This discussion is closed.
boss-dior
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
hi,I had my interview in Oxford last week and I am the first one to be interviewed in my group for my course.
after everyone was being interviewed,we found that the questions the tutor asked were the same or similar.(some people were interviewed one day later than me)
what you guys think about this??is it fair to be the first one ?!!
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm suprised they asked the same question to everyone - I would have thought they would have a bunch of questions to ask and pick a random one out of those few. Also some of the questions I would think would lead on from your personal statment or other things youv'e been talking about. What subject were you interviewed for by the way?

Also there are likely to be advantages to going first - the interviewers will be fresher, more likely to listen to you and to remember you.
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by boss-dior)
hi,I had my interview in Oxford last week and I am the first one to be interviewed in my group for my course.
after everyone was being interviewed,we found that the questions the tutor asked were the same or similar.(some people were interviewed one day later than me)
what you guys think about this??is it fair to be the first one ?!!
That's what happened at the colleges I was interviewed at too. For us, they asked this same logical-type problem which they will use to discriminate between applicants depending on how we answer. They told us that we shouldn't really talk to anyone about it and I don't think anyone did (I didn't even get a chance to meet the rest of the applicants who were applying for the same course at the same college! I only saw one applicant out of them all after my second interview)

As for whether it is fair to be the first one or not, well I was second and I can say I wasn't bothered at all by it. Someone has always got to be first and it's not my fault my surname is near the beginning of the alphabet There's no point dwelling on things like this because it's a bit pointless and it will just make you feel more anxious - Don't worry, I really don't think it matters
boss-dior
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by loftx)
I'm suprised they asked the same question to everyone - I would have thought they would have a bunch of questions to ask and pick a random one out of those few. Also some of the questions I would think would lead on from your personal statment or other things youv'e been talking about. What subject were you interviewed for by the way?

Also there are likely to be advantages to going first - the interviewers will be fresher, more likely to listen to you and to remember you.
IT is economics and management!!
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by boss-dior)
IT is economics and management!!
Ah well in that case you might have a chance - I was the third person to be interviewed at my college for E&M last year and I was made an offer.

Good luck

Tom
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Lucy)
They told us that we shouldn't really talk to anyone about it and I don't think anyone did
very different from us then. by near the end of the philosophy interviews *everyone* knew all the logic puzzles they were asking.
Slartibartfast
Report 14 years ago
if they have to interview a lot of people then thinking up different questions can be tiresome to say the least. and making all the questions equally hard would not be easy either.
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by llama boy)
by near the end of the philosophy interviews *everyone* knew all the logic puzzles they were asking.
I had a friend who knew all the standard Qs by the time of her Physics interview, had considered them & presumably knew "the answers" yet didn't get an offer.

It's your thought process in unfamiliar situations they want to see.. in my experience if it was obvious you knew lots on a topic or finally reached the conclusion then they'd swiflty move onto something else!
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well, it's unbeneficial for the first person to tell the others the questions! If I was first and someone later asked me what I had been asked I wouldn't tell them.
Hoofbeat
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think it's helpful to go first! My surname is near the end of the alphabet and I was the second last person to be interviewed. Later I received a letter saying that my chosen college (New) couldn't take me as they didn't have enough spaces but that they understood another college would have me (I ended up @ Lincoln). My theory is, that they really did want me, but they'd already filled their places with people who they'd already interviewed - ie. the people nearer the beginning of the alphabet!
InterCity125
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by juno_the)
Well, it's unbeneficial for the first person to tell the others the questions! If I was first and someone later asked me what I had been asked I wouldn't tell them.
If they tell others the questions then they are a fool! They are helping to competition - would they, as a company director, tell rivals of plans and stratagies? - I'm surrpised someone applying to Ox would be thaat foolish!
Telling them the wrong questions - evil but much more sensible!!
[email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Hoofbeat)
I think it's helpful to go first! My surname is near the end of the alphabet and I was the second last person to be interviewed. Later I received a letter saying that my chosen college (New) couldn't take me as they didn't have enough spaces but that they understood another college would have me (I ended up @ Lincoln). My theory is, that they really did want me, but they'd already filled their places with people who they'd already interviewed - ie. the people nearer the beginning of the alphabet!
My surname is as close to the end as they get and I got my place at Balliol. You just obeviously weren't good enough, lol. :cool:
BazTheMoney
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I had two interviews; one Economics, the other phil/pol

For Economics I was bang in the middle, which was nice. As for questions, when I was interview there was a maths questions which was structured in accordance with what level you studies at (GCSE, A-Level, Further Maths, STEP+S-Papers), thus I got the hardest one; which actually wasn't too hard. After that we had 10 minutes on the economics consquences of removing private services; education, health, ect. Then we did another 10 minutes on government policy, which was fairly straight forward. Then we finished out with talking about the Japanese economy; which I mentioned in my personal statement and essay. Lasted about 40 minutes.

For Phil/Pol I was given a peice of text an hour before the interview, something about the state and morality of the social contract. The first 10 minutes they talked about things on my PS, in those days they used to make a vain attempt to mention it. After that we did the text that I had been given, asked lots of question about the general will, lasted the best part of 20 minutes. Then we did a bit of logic and got on to the value of mathematical proof, which was really interesting actually. Then we finished off with having a chat about rowing. Lasted about 45 minutes.

End result: AAB offer for entry in October 2001.
slinec
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Hoofbeat)
I doubt it
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (90)
25.86%
No (258)
74.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise