The Student Room Group

IOT - Initial Officer Training

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Multi Engine Long Course? *Shrugs*
Reply 61
I know what MELC means, but GR4 called it something different, I would just like to know what MEPT stands for?
Reply 62
Right, lots of people starting IOT soon, I thought a kit list might be a plan. From looking around I've found the following suggested:

Lots of expanding cardboard boxes as they don't get opened for inspections (roughly A4 sized?)
Own iron and ironing board
NBC Green tape to name your stuff
Zip Lock bags :confused:
Waterproof Notebook
Something to de-lint the carpet - could you get away with a dirt devil/dustbuster?
Bungess
Chinagraphs and stuff to laminate paper with - i'm assuming so you can use it in the rain?
Lots of Cash
Spare trouser twists (lots)
A car to store it all in!

From what I can make out you aren't allowed a duvet in the first few weeks - and those felt blanket things don't keep you too warm. If you take a duvet you need to keep it hidden either in a car, or in a box if you can find one big enough to take it (but still fit on a shelf).

Anyone got any other suggestions - or corrections....
Reply 63
Little waterproof bags that seal, we used to use old ammo bags but you probably cant get hold of them so just get resealable freezer bags thats are quite heavy duty in a variety of sizes so when you do outside stuff in the rain everything will be sealed.
Like the bit about the car the most vital part !!! (you can also escape in it if it all goes pear shaped :smile: )
Reply 64
More goodies that i've always found useful over the years

Sellotape... ideal for removing fluff from berets.
Meths or nail varnish remover (or remover pad thingies) for cleaning ink
Padlocks... ideally combination so no keys to lose
Safety pins
Sewing kit and wonderweb
Selvyt (polishing cloth great for bulling)
Map case

And permanent residents in my bergan/webbing...

Wet wipes
Mini maglite
Mozzy repellant... yes, even in February... wet ground means eggs hatch.
Tent pegs... lightweight alloy ones, ideal for basher/route marking etc
A good lock knife
Mini wash kit - made up of half toothbrush, razor, shaving oil, and that toothpaste/mouthwash stuff ("Tharemed"), and half a towel.
Mini gas burner and gas bottle... a LOT cleaner than hexamine
Strong plastic spoon... ideal for all occasions
Para cord... about 50feet
Small boot brush and polish
Spare bootlaces
a Cyalume
Mine tape
GPS
Mini model kit (laminated cards, ribbon, string etc.. all in an old tobacco tin)

This list is not exhaustive, and admittedly, there are things in my webbing that I've never used... but I'd rather have them and not need them as opposed to the other way round.
Reply 65
Sorry, MEPT (multi-engine pilot training) encompasses all four courses that 55R run - MELC, MESC, MERR & MEXO -

http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/kingair.html
Reply 66
I'll bet the pillows are going to be the same feather ones you get in the IOT accommodation blocks? The ones that offer no-support and smother you from both sides when you sink into them?
Reply 67
GR4pilot
Sorry, MEPT (multi-engine pilot training) encompasses all four courses that 55R run - MELC, MESC, MERR & MEXO -

http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/kingair.html

Cheers mate...:smile:
REME-BOD...
That GPS won't be in there long! You get taught how to pack you webbing/bergen and what to put in it. Good luck smuggling any mars bars :P
Reply 69
InaSpin
REME-BOD...
That GPS won't be in there long! You get taught how to pack you webbing/bergen and what to put in it. Good luck smuggling any mars bars :P

DOH!

I take it that means I won't be able to use my old, tried and tested (and rather comfortable) webbing then?

In fact, what is their stance on ANY Gucci non-issue (or more specifically non-IOT issue) kit? Shall I save myself the hassle and just leave all my old kit at home?
REME-Bod
...and if you fail?... :rolleyes:

You get told to get the finger out. Its just an indication to them of how much you know and how well you prepared. Its probably a good idea to do well because it does go on file.

Dave?

Dave is one of the storesmen, he is very accomodating and will do his best to help you especially when kit goes missing.
Reply 71
REME-Bod
In fact, what is their stance on ANY Gucci non-issue (or more specifically non-IOT issue) kit? Shall I save myself the hassle and just leave all my old kit at home?

I'd just take gucci stuff that doesn't show - stuff you keep in your bergen and under your outerlayers - plus if you have a car you can keep it there for inspections. You may find out while you're there that you can use it - otherwise put it in your car and you haven't lost out on anything.
Reply 72
Don't know if this is helpful to anyone, or whether you get one of these from the AFCO. This is what the OC of Training Development Flight gave me the other week.

http://www.geocities.com/mike231atc/CCF10112005_00000.jpg

Just thought I'd share the info :smile:
M!ke
Don't know if this is helpful to anyone, or whether you get one of these from the AFCO. This is what the OC of Training Development Flight gave me the other week.

http://storage.msn.com/x1pbglk-vqL4BtogHoTpquoMODNPRMp0nrPWDcq-ZPO4zjcscHkKnGyWxs28Rj37Dp7XvaZdEg1Vq0QoR5ZNFju_12XTzplfQEjsHvL8peCgehSsZD232HQMBw10QC5b9UdTrp4ep3h1Ql8aDKvAJPCHw

Just thought I'd share the info :smile:

Can't see it, Forbidden access and all that
Reply 74
Try it now, should work.
Many Enormous Pies Time

and Maybe Everything Looks Colourful haha

--------------

boom boom i crack myself up!
Reply 76
I have been given a list of things that may be useful for IOT. the list has been compiled by people who have completed IOT recently. Does anyone want me to put it on here?
Yeah go on reggie
Reply 78
If my cut and paste methods don't work pm me and I will email it on. also this is just a list that I was given it is not set in stone etc, if anything is wrong with it please don't blame me. :wink:

RECOMMENDED KIT LIST FOR IOT
This list is a recommended kit list put together by past and present cadets of IOT at RAF Cranwell. A lot of the items are repetitive outlined hi your joining instructions which you will receive in the next few weeks; however, there are some additional items on this list that cadets have found to make life easier during the initial stages of IOT. All items with an * adjacent to it can be purchased from the DIOT shop at @ RAFC Cranwell.
CLOTHING
ITEM COMMENT
2 sets of: Suit, shirt, tie, (gents), shoes (flat comfy ones)Suit: Conservative in style Shirt: No dark colours or pink, yellow Tie: Conservative Shoes: Laced shoes (Brogue/except) 1 set you will be wearing when you arrive and for functions, the other will stay permanently in your inspection locker, so purchase a modern but cheap set from a charity shop (you are never going to wear it!)
1 set of civvies (trackies/Ronhills, t-shirt, sweat shirt, shorts) Used for 'slobbing' around the block whilst doing block jobs!
2 prs x trainers (Really only need one as issued 1 pair 1 pr of suitable outdoor running trainers in good condition, and the other pair as spares for field kit.
7 prs x boot socks (wool black/green only)*3 prs x white PT socks* For the boots: highly recommended Bridgedale Socks (dark colours). No football socks! The issue socks are not very good! Ski socks are good.For PT: plain white and cover your ankle bone
Black Ronhills* Used for outdoor runs on cold days (and also block jobs) Long sleeved top (black or navy)
Plain black hat (ski style) & black fingerless gloves Used for field kit Gloves are issued, not required Hat possibly
Flip Flops Use in communal showers
Hairnets & snappy clips/hairpins (Ladies only!)*Hairspray/Gel Make sure the hair net is the same as your hair colour or black. (Lots - min 10 pks)
Hosiery (Ladies only!)* Barely black 10 denier (lots - min 7 pks)
Swim trunks/costume Dark colours, no Bermuda style shorts or bikinis

SHOE CLEANING KIT
ITEM COMMENT
2 sets x Black Kiwi Parade Gloss Polish and shoe cleaning kit:*Kiwi Black, 2 x brushes, 1 x solvent* 1 set for every day use and another set which should be small in size to go in field kit
SELVYT cleaning cloth Used for bulling parade shoes, can be purchased from Naafi or a reputable Shoe Repair Shop
Mud brushes 1 x old toothbrush and 1 x stiff brush for getting mud out of boot sole
1 pr x long black boot laces For field kit
FIELD LIVING
Foot powder* For field kit
Needle and thread (known as a housewife)* Black and green cotton
Para cord (20mtrs) Purchase from Army /Navy stores or NAAFI
Platypus bags (water carriers)* Extra water carriers for field kit and very useful for drinking whilst on the move
1 x small maglight Red filters are mandatory Don't forget spare batteries
Wash kit: Preferably 2 sets, 1 for BergenDecent razor and spare blades not disposable Should be small in size but contain toothbrush, toothpaste, soap in a closable dish, deodorant, moisturizer cream (essential!), shave kit (gents), baby wipes (good for removing cam cream)
Towel Hand towel size (green) Dark colour for field
First aid kit Small size for personal use in field
Insect repellent* Roll on
Waterproof notebook* A6 size with plastic bag (OACTU)
Tent pegs* 10 max
Small mirror Shaving mirror for field

GENERAL STUFF
ITEM COMMENT
Washing tablets To ease your cleaning of washing machines, we advise you use tablets that you put in the drum with your kit
Batteries
Camera For your use only not really required
Digital watch and spare watch (just in case!) A cheap and durable watch in dark colours
Mobile phone, charger and hands free kit This way you can iron, and talk to home at the same time (best networks Orange, Vodafone)
Laptop Not essential until later in the course, but handy especially with printer for first 8 weeks, (needs to be stored away)
Vacuum cleaner Small one
Elastic bands Strong thick ones (ask the postman)
First aid kit Essential. Blister kits (compeed), Zinc oxide tape, plasters, paracetamol, ibulievegel, safety pins, cold remedies (just in case!)
Green bungees x 4
2 x Towels for shower Dark in colour
Material green tape (not required -issued) Labelling kit and fitting webbing, can be purchased from military surplus stores
Parcel tape (brown) Used for finer cleaning on carpets and uniform!
Quickies nail varnish remover pads Used for removing permanent pen from maps
Shoe insoles Own preferences, recommend Sorbathene from Millets
Suit carrier
Trouser bungees/twists Availble form NAAFI or military surplus stores
Freezer bags Used for packing kit for field and keeping it compressed
Tin foil Lining mess tins, to save on washing up
Pan scourer For mess tins and cutlery
KFS Compact knife, fork, spoon
Waterproof rucksack liners Millets
Nail brush Essential
Electrical tape Various colours, used for identifying your flight's Bereens
Diary With space to write in day by day
Photograph frame Optional. One small photo for bedside cabinet. Max 8" x 6"
Name tags (not required) Sew in type for clothing (label all your kit before you get here, even socks!)
Cheque book & cash Cash only bar for first 4 weeks

STATIONERY
ITEM COMMENT
Clear sticky back plastic Essential for waterproofing numerous items
Notebooks A4 size ruled & margined, pocket size.
Thick black permanent marker pens
Pens, pencils (2B), ruler, hole punch, scissors, glue, eraser Black ink for pens, biros and ink
Paper A4 size lined (for essays) and plain (for printers)
Ring Binders 1 large lever arch, 1 ordinary ring binder
Box files A4 size
Varied coloured permanent pens OHP pens
Stencil and laundry pen 1 !/2 cm lettering and black ink pen
Zip seal pockets Large
Baggage labels

ROOM OBJECTS
Alarm clock Small not too obvious
Bin bags (sturdy) Large and small (use in Bergen)
Cleaning products Flash wipes, static dust wipes, windowlene wipes, polish, dusters, bathroom wipes, Jay clothes, etc
Clothes Brush
Coat hangers 1 0 x wooden shirt hangers, 5 x wooden trouser hangers (please note these must all be the same style hangers)
Iron and ironing board Good steam iron (keep box for inspection reasons), ironing board (try to get one with a mash board rather than a solid board, as the water from the steam iron puddles on the board and gives you water marks on your inspection shirts)
Shoe boxes (approx 20) Essential for your drawer contents, of varied sizes
CD Alarm clock
Spray starch
Extension lead Multiple plug sockets
Kettle Small size plus brew kit (note there are no fridges for milk)

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION
ITEM COMMENT
Spare combat suit Military surplus stores
Compass Silva working in degrees (issued)
Pen knife/Leatherman Issued
Collapsible wardrobe Keep your spare civilian kit hanging up baggage room. (1 per flight) Available in the from Argos
Eye mask and ear plugs Useful if you have a tendency to go to bed early and your roomie doesn't!
RAF form 7504 (RAF fitness test blue card) Currently Serving in the RAF only

TOP TIPS
Name all your kit before arriving with per pen. Don't forget to name your underwear and socks...... seriously! (no you don't)
Separate your kit before you arrive into their shoe boxes, i.e.
Stationery Box
Boot clean box
Socks and underwear box
Toiletries box

"Label thelx>xes with their contents.
3. Anything that is not in a box is likely to be inspected for cleanliness - so
box it! ..? .
Reply 79
there sure is a lot of things you need to take with you.

Quick Reply

Latest