Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    reggie boy , thats fantastic thank you very much, that will definately come in handy! nice one mate. excellent post!

rogue

ReputationRep:
    yes sorry reggie boy, my last post should have echoed rogues thoughts. Excellent post, very interesting to those who have not been to IOT.

mole

ReputationRep:
    That seems like a lot of kit, although i do concede that it is all invaluable.

Seeing as there's going to be few of you from here going on the May IOT (rogue, gemma and others) - why don't you all pool your resources together and agree between yourselves who's going to take what, I know the cleaning kit could be shared amongst yourselves so why don't all of you buy a separate item or 2 each from the list, that makes it cheaper for you and means you each have to carry less.

Just a thought, it's what i'd do if i knew a group of people on my RTS.

By the way, i was thinking along the lines of room cleaning kit, ironing boards, alarm clocks etc...not the personal stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rizza Razzu)
    Just a thought, it's what i'd do if i knew a group of people on my RTS.

By the way, i was thinking along the lines of room cleaning kit, ironing boards, alarm clocks etc...not the personal stuff.
    There is no gurantee that you will be in the same flight/block/corridor etc and it would be a complete pain to get to IOT and realise that your Ironing Board buddy lives across the parade square!

Also, in BIM you do so much ironing that everybody really needs their own board.

Mumrah

ReputationRep:
    Great idea Rizza - it'll definietely save us some money.

However I don't see the three of us sharing an alarm clock....... :p:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what it's like to live in No.1 Mess Block? Is it bare brick walls, cold floors and communial showers. Or is it a bit cosier - maybe carpet on the floors, a nice room with a few chairs to relax in (if there's time) and decent bathrooms/showers.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what it's like to live in No.1 Mess Block? Is it bare brick walls, cold floors and communial showers. Or is it a bit cosier - maybe carpet on the floors, a nice room with a few chairs to relax in (if there's time) and decent bathrooms/showers.

ReputationRep:
    I think some of it is possibly a bit Gucci, but any kind of list is valuble if you are like me and haven't really got much of a clue :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I think some of it is possibly a bit Gucci, but any kind of list is valuble if you are like me and haven't really got much of a clue :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I forgot, you officer types get your own rooms on IOT, don't you ?

ReputationRep:
    I forgot, you officer types get your own rooms on IOT, don't you ?

ReputationRep:
    A lot of you probably know this already, but cadet direct sell a lot of the things on the list of things needed, if you register with them you can get a catalogue, they do discounts for more than one item purchased, so people who are on an IOT together could order things in one and save a few pennies.

www.cadetdirect.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GemmaLS)
    Usual barrack block, magnolia coloured walls. 2 man rooms, carpet, if i remember correctly there 2 plastic chairs but only one desk space. A sink in each room, 2 wardbrobes, 4 chest of draws. Couple of storage room, laundry room, bathrooms wernt the nicest. 3 toilet cubicles 2 for blokes 1 for ladies, 3 sinks, 3 showers with curtains and i think 1 bath per floor.

As far as i can remember when we stayed in one in oct. Was quite nice as they go.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper

You're best off doing this with your flight members at the end of the first week. All pile off to the local big ASDA and buy cleaning stuff, maybe a hoover, etc etc.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    You make it nice yourself. Bring a pile of DVDs and a laptop (yes, I know they issue you with laptops now but I guarantee they won't be enabled to play DVDs), a radio, even a little TV you can hide in a box in the storeroom when you're being inspected. The rooms are as Turnstile's mentioned; nothing special, a bit old, but with decent windows, heating and insulation, and semi-comfortable military beds. It's nice having a roommate, and you'll sleep on a bag of nails after the more tiring days anyway.

The mess itself isn't bad; there's a big ante room with coffee and newspapers, a nice homely bar for the evenings, and a couple of little rooms upstairs, one or two with TVs. Not that you'll have much time for that until you're in CHOM, which is nicer anyway.

CHOM's a beautiful building, with a big library, a large ante room with TV, a couple of smaller ante rooms for quiet reflection, and a nice bar. You get a single room with a lot of fitted pine furniture, single bed, desk & chair (the sort of desk that's fitted to the wall, if you know what I mean, with a couple of drawers and cupboards), and a sink unit. There're laundry rooms in each wing and typical toilet/shower/bath arrangements.

Regarding the baths in No 1, remember you'll be cleaning them to a high shine before inspections. Get some sticky tape up and cordon off all but one or two showers, and use it on a rota basis on inspection days; or you'll forever be cleaning the bathroom!

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for all that Wzz - I think one of those portable dvd payers will be on the cards if I get in (pass P2 medical etc). They're getting quite cheap now.

One more question about No.1 Mess (yes I have a lot of them ) does anyone know, officially, how long you spend in No.1 mess before you move into CHOM on the new IOT?

ReputationRep:
    One more question about No.1 Mess (yes I have a lot of them ) does anyone know, officially, how long you spend in No.1 mess before you move into CHOM on the new IOT?
    As far as I am aware SERE cadets go straight into CHOM. a friend (who has done SERE) said to me that the IOT cadets moved into CHOM at about the same time that their SERE started, so 12 weeks max according to that. :confused: I may be wrong

ReputationRep:
    in the new IOT cadets move in to CHOM at the end of Term 1
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I should imagine after 1/3rd of the course, as always.

The course used to be 24 weeks with 3 courses running concurrently; junior, intermediate, and senior squadrons. The junior squadron lived in No 1 and each of the other two had a wing of CHOM. I guess a 30 week course will still follow this template.

Edit; not completely stupid, but I didn't read the above reply before posting...!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.