Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Cheers everyone

ReputationRep:
    I am currently awaiting my Part II medical and have been provisionally offered a control branch (starting possibly in Feb 06). I have previous military experience as an army OR, and have found these threads very useful, so thanks to everyone who has provided me with information and reassurance. I'm trying to get a feel for life in the RAF, and was interested to see all the discussions about the type of civillian clothes you are allowed to wear. How much time would I be likely to spend out of uniform at Cranwell exactly? If anyone is in a position to compare Army vs. RAF life it'd be interested to hear their thoughts.

tricky

ReputationRep:
    Welcome trickydicky - I'm assuming you got either FC or ATC and are provisionally on the February IOT? I've met a couple of people you'll be training with - you'll be in good company. Plus there's a few people on here who'll be joining you.

I've got some idea of how much you can wear civvie clothes but I'd rather leave it to someone who's done IOT to give you more solid information.

Good luck for preparing for IOT and I'll hopefully see you in May when I arrive (pending outcome of P2 medical of course!)

ReputationRep:
    Hi GemmaLS. Thanks, yeah that's pretty much it. Fighter controller, for what it's worth at this stage. From what I've read here, it's a growth area. I don't think February is a runner really though, especially as I need to give two months notice in my current job. There was some foul up at their end as I was supposed to have the medical in late November, they just forgot to tell me. Cue irate letter. Preparation? I'm following the sloth plan until the medical is out of the way. No sense in peaking early...
    tricky

ReputationRep:
    Are you going to ask for May IOT then? If so it's worth doing it before the spaces are filled up by the groundboard next month. I'm chuffed I got May - more time to get fit and save up for clothing and equipment.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by trickydicky)
    How much time would I be likely to spend out of uniform at Cranwell exactly? If anyone is in a position to compare Army vs. RAF life it'd be interested to hear their thoughts.
    There's more mud in the Army, and our college is nicer

At IOT (when I was there on the old, hard course ), you were in uniform constantly for the first four weeks (the old BIM module; transition to military life). CS95 for day-to-day work, and no 2s in the evening for the bar. You could grab dinner in CS95 but it was 2s after 1900.

From week 5 onwards, you'd be in CS95/2s/1s/whatever during the day depending on the activity, but from 1900 every night it was shirt tie and jacket. Fridays and weekends were slacks and shirts minimum. If you were off to Lincoln on a Friday night then you needed appropriate kit for that, but 99% of your time in civvies is a suit in the evening in CHOM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GemmaLS)
    Are you going to ask for May IOT then? If so it's worth doing it before the spaces are filled up by the groundboard next month. I'm chuffed I got May - more time to get fit and save up for clothing and equipment.
    Er, not sure. Can we ask? If so, I will. The careers office people said Feb was no good - secruity clearance hadn't even come through or something, and I suppose there is still a chance I'll fail the Pt II medical. I'm in no great rush, so May would be good. I am hoping to visit RAF Boulmer (?) to see what FC is all about in March. I'm planning to begin training over Christmas, starting with a reduced mince pie intake and building up to walking the dog.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    There's more mud in the Army, and our college is nicer

At IOT (when I was there on the old, hard course ), you were in uniform constantly for the first four weeks (the old BIM module; transition to military life). CS95 for day-to-day work, and no 2s in the evening for the bar. You could grab dinner in CS95 but it was 2s after 1900.

From week 5 onwards, you'd be in CS95/2s/1s/whatever during the day depending on the activity, but from 1900 every night it was shirt tie and jacket. Fridays and weekends were slacks and shirts minimum. If you were off to Lincoln on a Friday night then you needed appropriate kit for that, but 99% of your time in civvies is a suit in the evening in CHOM.
    Thanks for that, good info. Yeah, but not just mud, it's also pine needles. I always seemed to fine pine needles in my tea, underpants etc. Even in camp. Happy days. That's actually a lot of time in a suit. Twos are jumpers/shirt/tie/serge trousers?

ReputationRep:
    Er, not sure. Can we ask? If so, I will.
    It's always worth it - I was going to ask to switch to May if I was offered Feb due to shin splints. Get on the phone to your AFCO.

ReputationRep:
    You can cause my UAS Officers were going to arrange a change to July for me so I could finish the 1st Year at uni. I didn't, so still on may.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GR4pilot)
    You can cause my UAS Officers were going to arrange a change to July for me so I could finish the 1st Year at uni. I didn't, so still on may.
    What were you studying?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Thanks for that, good info. Yeah, but not just mud, it's also pine needles. I always seemed to fine pine needles in my tea, underpants etc. Even in camp. Happy days. That's actually a lot of time in a suit. Twos are jumpers/shirt/tie/serge trousers?
    2s are shirt and trousers, or shirt/tie trousers and jersey, yes.

Plenty of pine needles in my flying suit right now; but only from the Christmas parties and setting up a couple of Xmas trees

ReputationRep:
    Argh, Officer dress is complicated - theres too much of it. Evening; Evening dinner; Casual.. blah, could never get my head round it.

ReputationRep:
    Imagine how us Officer-Wannabe's feel! :P

ReputationRep:
    It's also bad for the officer soontobe's - we've got to find money for all this stuff!

ReputationRep:
    Haha, but we're all guna haveto do that eventually!

I best start saving eh?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you will - I think a piggy bank will be in order then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    2s are shirt and trousers, or shirt/tie trousers and jersey, yes.

Plenty of pine needles in my flying suit right now; but only from the Christmas parties and setting up a couple of Xmas trees
    Watch out for the pine cones though. found 1/2 of one in the washing machine once after ex.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by GemmaLS)
    It's also bad for the officer soontobe's - we've got to find money for all this stuff!
    It's not that bad at all really. A couple of decent suits, a selection of shirts, some nice shoes and you're fine for IOT. Stop moaning; you get tax relief on something like £60 of your salary every April to pay for uniform upkeep and new clothes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Stop moaning
    Will do - just having a clothing crisis at the moment though - nothing fits me anymore now that I'm doing 5 days a week at the gym! Xmas has cost me a fortune and I have no money for clothes. You'd think the gym would give me money for new clothes......Lol :p:

EDIT - I realise this still qualifies as moaning but that will stop as of the end of this post.

EDIT2 - but that will probably start again once I find something new to moan about. GR4Pilot and Rogue, you'll be pleased to know that I'm going to place a moaning embargo on myself as of may.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.