Turn on thread page Beta
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Keep all your old clothes; it takes more willpower than anyone's got to keep your trim IOT frame through professional training!

ReputationRep:
    Good plan - box of clothes to go up into the attic it is then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    ...Plenty of pine needles in my flying suit right now; but only from the Christmas parties...
    You go to parties in your flying suit??!! Now that's being married to the job!

ReputationRep:
    Lol. Also a good way to pick up the ladies I'm sure.

I can imagine a bunch of pilots at a bar showing off with tales to all the ladies

"Yeah so I was pullin around 9G going rooooooooound *mimics flying with joystick* and then I fired!!!" etc etc

Im sorry you have to excuse me...its late, and im bored

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trickydicky)
    What were you studying?
    International Relations and History, some of the recomended reading for IOT is compulsory reading for my next semester. I'm still there untill I get final confirmation; infact slightly later as I start IOT Mayt 7th and get last student loan installment May 8th

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GR4pilot)
    International Relations and History, some of the recomended reading for IOT is compulsory reading for my next semester. I'm still there untill I get final confirmation; infact slightly later as I start IOT Mayt 7th and get last student loan installment May 8th
    nice one.

ReputationRep:
    hi, Im starting IOT in No.2 in February 19th. Got my Fam visit next week. Anyone got any news on what goes on at the FAM visit?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Not sure if they've changed it, but it used to be a tour of CHOM, a few lectures on what to expect, collect your boots, and the streaming run.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Not sure if they've changed it, but it used to be a tour of CHOM, a few lectures on what to expect, collect your boots, and the streaming run.
    cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    And some sort of written exercise. Dictionaries are provided. Don't know any more than that.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know if you do the fitness test on the 1st day you do your fam, or the 2nd. Im playing 7-aside on sunday night, due to go on the monday, dont want to pick up a small injury there, then be doin the fitness test the next day!

ReputationRep:
    You could always ring IOT Admin and ask them. I can pm you the number if you want it.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by REME-Bod)
    And some sort of written exercise. Dictionaries are provided. Don't know any more than that.
    No idea either. I was given a dictionary for something, but I forget; it might have been the OASC English diagnostic test, but I'm not sure.

Having done what is now the "old" IOT, perhaps I'm getting a bit past it for these forums. They've cut EFT by nearly 50% since I did it, and changed the aircraft; and they've even made a few small changes to BFJT since my time!

Anyone want to ask questions about flying training?? At least I'm still 100% in the know with that...

ReputationRep:
    I'll ask, about flying training that is!

I've been thinking about this for a while and I can't quite understand it.

Right, there are 16 FJ Sqns, 13 ME Sqns and 8 RW Sqns. Lets say roughly that most Sqn's have 12 or so jets (some more, some less, multi's in particular). Also, the GR4 is quoted as being the most abundant of any A/C (although I'm sure not that many are capable of actually leaving the ground!)

Streaming wise (please correct if this assumption is vastly wrong!) roughly 15-20% get FJ, loads seem to go Rotary, say 40 % and the rest go ME, so 40%.

1) Based on sqn strength, why are 'loads' of Pilots going to Shawbury when there are only 8 RW sqns, and these are all masive anyway ? (isn't 28 the biggest in the RAF now?)

2) How can the RAF keep 16 frontline FJ Sqn's ticking over with 20 or so Pilots a year (or is it more?) Shouldn't FJ be accounting for nealy half of all Pilots?

3) How many Pilots, or crews, do the 2 Sentry Sqns have that share 6 A/C ? Can't get much flying, or is this wrong?

That'll do for now

ReputationRep:
    yeh could u PM me that please, would be a great help. Hope everyone get on well with IOT and such like.

ReputationRep:
    pm sent

ReputationRep:
    Raptor;

Streaming is different everytime. They go on what is needed at the time. For instance, the last Linton (second streaming board) course to graduate - Only one was assessed good enough to continue to Valley (although there will probably a re-stream for that person as well!) The rest all got streamed somewhere else or chopped from the system.
    At the last re-stream (Prior to Valley streaming board for a number of Linton courses who have completed), something like 4 went multi, 12 went FJ and the rest went choppers. There were 32 or thereabouts being restreamed.

On initial streaming (Post EFT) boards, you can have 3 go FJ, 10 go chopper and 2 go multis; or 8 FJ, 8 Chopper, 2 multi etc.

There is no set percentage! It goes one what available and what is needed at the time of streaming.

Also on a board, if no one is good enough for FJ, they won't go FJ (Correct me if this is wrong!)

Also, people can get chopped!
    In rotary and FJ - you get chopped to nothing, or to whatever is available.

I can't answer your other questions as I'm not sure. Wzz will most likely have a better idea or know the answer!

ReputationRep:
    Inaspin

Having been in the UAS world I know that the numbers vary from board to board. However, as long as I've been involved or followed events it always seems that vastly more Pilots end up on 'Choppers'. This was the point of my question. How can 8 RW Sqns support the number of Pilots that the system is churning out?

ReputationRep:
    They do have a lot of airframes! It takes a while to get combat ready on a rotary OCU/OCF so I guess by time someone else gets CR someone else is leaving. I'm not entirely sure. Chop rate is also quite high at Shawbs. Also with detachment and detachment leave? Not entirely sure, think Wzz is the man...
    There will also be those that instruct. And at Shawbs they have a LOT of airframes so thats one answer I guess!!

Sorry didn't realise you knew about streaming (apologies)

ReputationRep:
    The OM at 'a RW base somewhere between Oxford and Henley' used to be full up with winged Fg Offs with nothing to do - maybe now they have more than 1 Merlin that flies there might not be a problem.

Even so, the list of Pilot on the Ops board of a Sqn on the aforementioned base seemed to have rather more than the typical 16 on a FJ (only seen 1 Sqn's) list.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.