Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebucketwoman)
    Do you have some info about his parents origins? I was under the impression they came from Romania as asylum seekers. Well I apologise if I got their status wrong, they were certainly not born here though.
    That's what he said on that Question Time thing with the three party leaders just before the general election. Wikipedia follows the same line:

Howard was born in Gorseinon, Swansea, Wales, near to Llanelli where his Romanian Jewish shopkeeper father Bernard Hecht had moved as an economic migrant (not an asylum seeker as it is sometimes put forward).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonD)
    That's what he said on that Question Time thing with the three party leaders just before the general election. Wikipedia follows the same line:
    How about this though?

http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/news/n...name_page.html

Not the most reliable source I recognize, but nor is Wikipedia, or Michael Howard for that matter!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheVlad)
    Shouldn't have been getting my gf drunk yesterday then, should you?
    :puke:

The hangover that is, not your gf.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebucketwoman)
    How about this though?

http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/news/n...name_page.html

Not the most reliable source I recognize, but nor is Wikipedia, or Michael Howard for that matter!
    Interesting find.

ReputationRep:
    He admits himself his house was valued at 500,000 pounds a few years ago
    Which home? And do you have a link?

All MPs travel first class and he has some claims listed in the expenses along with the rest of the MPs!
    So he's doing nothing to set himself aside as worse than other MPs in this regard?

As an MP for 18 years - an average of 100 grand a year - that's well over a million pounds - that's the calculation. Not hard to do really.
    MPs do not get paid 100 000 pounds.

The allegations hadn't yet surfaced - it was from the 1997 election and were proved in a court of law before Galloway was expelled from the Labour Party. Perhaps instead of reading RESPECT propaganda and making stupid assumptions you should actually try and take an independent view.
    I do. That's why I never joined SWP and that's why I do not agree with every RESPECT policy. Do you have a link to the Sarwar stuff, I've simply never read about it rather than readin propaganda. And the fact remains that his constituency was abolished and RESPECT has an agreement with the SSP.

On the final point we can at least agree on something. We have far too many of the buggars - an eighth of the number would do!
    Actually, I disagree! :-) You agree with Galloway in this case, he thinks we should half the number of MPs. I don't see why making us less represented would help.

Is RESPECT an Islamist party? If not, why does its biggest financial backer call for an Islamic government to rule Britain
    Where in that article doeas Naseem call for Islamic Government in Britain? The points marked with a star are obviously not verbatim and at least one of them (Netenyahu) was announced by Israeli officials just after the attack!

In regard to the one verbatim quote, how do we know Naseem agrees with it for a start? And they obviously do not reflect RESPECT part position.

Where does RESPECT come into forwarding the cause for Islamic world government? Is it an Islamist party?
    Again, where has Naseem said e supports this? RESPECT is the only party to clearly and proudly say that we will defend muslims at home and abroad so long as they are under attack. This is why we have muslims support, and if you looked deeper, you'd see that the involvement of muslims in RESPECT has done a lot for young muslims, especially women who want to get active.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    RESPECT is the only party to clearly and proudly say that we will defend muslims at home and abroad so long as they are under attack. .
    That's not true, all the major parties defend Muslims, and people of every other faith.

In the first prime minister's question time since Thursday's terror attacks in London, Mr Blair condemned the more than 100 reported race hate attacks on members of the British Asian community over the past few days.

News that the four bombers were British-born Muslims has prompted fears of a backlash against the Muslim community and Mr Blair was joined by opposition leaders in urging calm.

Mr Blair said that Muslims in the UK were "overwhelmingly law abiding, decent members of society".

And when asked about rightwing extremists stirring up racial hatred, he said that "part of our way of life is tolerance and respect" and it was "particularly revolting for anyone to exploit these attacks for racism".

Conservative leader Michael Howard said anyone who nurtured resentment against Britain's Muslim community "is the enemy of us all" and would be doing exactly what terrorists wanted them to do, that is "dividing us one from another".

ReputationRep:
    Which home? And do you have a link?

MPs do not get paid 100 000 pounds.

I do. That's why I never joined SWP and that's why I do not agree with every RESPECT policy. Do you have a link to the Sarwar stuff, I've simply never read about it rather than readin propaganda. And the fact remains that his constituency was abolished and RESPECT has an agreement with the SSP.

Actually, I disagree! :-) You agree with Galloway in this case, he thinks we should half the number of MPs. I don't see why making us less represented would help.
    The one in Streatham. Indeed I have a link - straight from the horses mouth.

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/media...942119,00.html

True - MPs don't receive 100,000 pounds as a basic salary - but by the time their expenses (travel, living allowance etc..) are calculated the amount far exceeds that amount.

There are many links about Mr Sarwar's misdemeanours - here are a few.

http://www.portal.telegraph.co.uk/ht...26/nsar26.html
    http://www.portal.telegraph.co.uk/ht...17/nsle17.html
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/262159.stm

All my comments can be supported by evidence.

ReputationRep:
    That's not true, all the major parties defend Muslims, and people of every other faith.
    This coming from a member of a party whos minister said Muslims should get used to state discrimination? The tories who supported all the wars on muslims in Iraq, Afghanistan, who supplied Saddam with weapons, who helped the Shah, who fed the Israeli death machine? You're kidding right? Empty words do nothing.

The one in Streatham. Indeed I have a link - straight from the horses mouth.
    The one he may no longer have. Half a million pounds for a house for an MP in London really isn't a big deal. If it was in Glasgow, it would be different.

I wasn't denying what you said about Sarwar, I was just saying that I hadn't read about it. As I said, Boundary changes and a pact with the SSP ruled out any RESPECT candidates standing in Scotland.

So we've established that he doesn't earn lots more than other MPs, there is no reason to believe he spends huge amounts of money on cars or cigars or suits and the most expensive house he does have he may no longer own anymore and isn't that expensive when put in London contexts.

ReputationRep:
    This coming from a member of a party whos minister said Muslims should get used to state discrimination? .
    You think stopping and searching a disproportionately high number of Muslims, in the current climate of terrorism, is really unreasonable?

ReputationRep:
    who fed the Israeli death machine? .
    And what would that be?

ReputationRep:
    You think stopping and searching a disproportionately high number of Muslims, in the current climate of terrorism, is really unreasonable?
    First of all, the comment wasn't made in this climate. Second of all, what does a muslim look like? People would be stopped and searched on account of their colour. What would this do to community and police relations? The police don't have a great record as it is!

And what would that be?
    Their army and air force.

ReputationRep:

Can you tell me how it is luxury? So he has a modest holiday villa in Portugal.
    Of course the "modest" villa - worth at least 500,000 pounds according to a leading property expert. Here's the link

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...ixnewstop.html

I don't know how anyone can describe a half a million pound holiday home as modest. +Jaguar + Designer suits (that you deny but you need only look at what he wears) + two other homes (one worth half a million quid) etc etc. Extremely luxurious - to portray him as a selfless hero is really proposterous - he has used politics to fund his ego and his luxurious lifestyle.

You do need to start opening your eyes and not being so brainwashed by propaganda (as do most people on here who nail their colours to a political flag).

ReputationRep:
    This is if you believe a property developer (has he actually seen the house?) quoted by the Daily Telegraph. Doesn't this paper have a history of lying about Galloway.

that you deny but you need only look at what he wears
    What does he wear? Can you give me aphoto where you can tell he's wearing an expensive designer suit?

he has used politics to fund his ego and his luxurious lifestyle.
    Utter bollox. He has a house in London which osts half a million. So what? It was jointly owned with his wife and he may not even own that property any more. In London, it's not a luxurious amount to spend on a house, a point you fail to see. And an ageing jaguar isn't really an example of luxury either!

If he wanted to furhter his ego through politics he would have fallen into line with the Blairites and would have found himself very high up the greasy pole by now. If he wanted to earn money through politics and wasn't doing it out of principles, he wouldn't hire extra staff he has to pay or do over a 1100 public meetings in a few years. He would sit tight like other MPs claiming expenses while doing nothing.

You do need to start opening your eyes and not being so brainwashed by propaganda
    You need to start opening your eyes actually. If you cannot see that this man, who has chosen to stick to what he balieves in which was obviously not the easiest option, as the principled politician he is, then you've been brainwashed by Zionist rags like the Telegraph. I've only been a RESPECT member for a year and I admired Galloway long before that. As I have said, I do not agree with everything he or RESPECT says so please do not confuse me with a New Labour robot member.

ReputationRep:
    This is if you believe a property developer (has he actually seen the house?) quoted by the Daily Telegraph. Doesn't this paper have a history of lying about Galloway.

So we've gone from saying a modest villa - to now doubting the valuation (undisputed by Mr Galloway) of a leading expert in the field.

- from saying he had a low value house in London - to saying oh well half a million is not that much anyway :rolleyes:

- ridiculously suggesting Mr Sarwar's allegations must have preceded RESPECT when anyone who knows anythings about politics knows it dated from the 1997 election.

Enough said!

ReputationRep:
    So we've gone from saying a modest villa - to now doubting the valuation (undisputed by Mr Galloway) of a leading expert in the field.
    I thought Galloway said it wouldn't even fetch 250k!

from saying he had a low value house in London - to saying oh well half a million is not that much anyway
    Where did I say he had a low value house? I have said half amillion doesn't mean luxurious in London in earlier posts. Do not make out as if I'm just saying it now.

- ridiculously suggesting Mr Sarwar's allegations must have preceded RESPECT when anyone who knows anythings about politics knows it dated from the 1997 election.
    I admitted I didn't know about the allegations. And knowing about every New Labour dirty trick isn't a prerequisite to being able to say that you know about politics.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't this paper have a history of lying about Galloway.
    No it doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    You mean you believe that these documents were genuine? Despite both the Senate and the Christian Science Monitor using fake documents to smear him in the past? And the fact that they were found by a Telegraph reporter in practically pristine condition inside a burned out shell of a building?

Obviously his 30 years of anti-Saddam campaigning and the fact he has proven every smear wrong isn't enough for you.

ReputationRep:
    You mean you believe that these documents were genuine?
    I don't know why the authenticity of an entirely seperate article used by entirely seperate organisation has anything to do with another. I think the only commonality between the Christian Science Journal and the Telegraph is they're both pieces of paper, read by mainly Christians. Don't you usally cry foul when such logic is used on other certain ethnic groups?

To echo your usual line of defense when people mention Galloway's Portugese mansion and his shiney suits: Have you visited it? Have you seen the labels? Or more appropriately: How do you know that the room the documents were found in was a "burned out shell"? Of course, even if it was, they could just have easily have been in a metal vault, desk or filing cabinet in the basement.

P.S. Galloway isn't claiming the documents are false.

ReputationRep:
    Don't you usally cry foul when such logic is used on other certain ethnic groups?
    Come on now, you're a fair minded chap do not be ridiculous.

P.S. Galloway isn't claiming the documents are false.
    If the most watched MP (by Mi6) was in the pay of Saddam we would know about it. Do not be so naive.

To echo your usual line of defense when people mention Galloway's Portugese mansion and his shiney suits
    What mansion? It's a Villa. No I haven't seen it, but he bought it for 89k I believe. Galloway said he doesn't own expensive suits. I believe he is right like he was right about the after math of Iraq, like he was right about the results of the Mariam Appeal investigation, the war on want investigation, the mirror libe, the telegraph libel and the Oona lIbel times 2. He's an honest man. He wasn't weaing an expensive suit when I met him either.

ReputationRep:
    Come on now, you're a fair minded chap do not be ridiculous.
    Well, that's exactly what you're saying: The Christian Science Monitor did something wrong, so therefore the Telegraph is automatically guilty if it makes similar claims, even if those claims are based on entirely different sources.
    If the most watched MP (by Mi6) was in the pay of Saddam we would know about it. Do not be so naive.
    Well, I've no idea how much he was watched, whether it was enough to monitor his every move, or even if he was watched at all. I'd be interested to know how you can be so sure.

Of course, past trails of evidence bieng used against Galloway have abruptly ended at the gates of middle-eastern palaces, so it doesn't take overuse of the imagination to consider the same thing happening again here.
    What mansion? It's a Villa. No I haven't seen it, but he bought it for 89k I believe. Galloway said he doesn't own expensive suits. I believe he is right like he was right about the after math of Iraq, like he was right about the results of the Mariam Appeal investigation, the war on want investigation, the mirror libe, the telegraph libel and the Oona lIbel times 2. He's an honest man. He wasn't weaing an expensive suit when I met him either.
    You seem to be missing my point. At the moment I don't give a rubber band about his wealth (unless it was from fraud!).

Let me explain a bit better: "Galloway has a big mansion!" remarks some random fella. "How do you know, have you seen it?" you respond. The random fella assumes that because Galloway has a Portugese manor, it must have been expensive; he hasn't seen it himself or the reciepts.

Later on, in an entirely seperate debate, you claim that there is no way that the incriminating evidence put forth would be in a "practically pristine condition" because it came from a "burned out shell of a building", so therefore it must be false. I invoke your aformentioned trademark defense: "How do you know, have you seen it?".

It wouldn't cause imagination-exhaustion-induced weight-loss to consider ways that the paperwork could have survived. Perhaps it was in a metal filing cabinet, in the basement, or perhaps the building was one of many that wasn't targetted in a compound that was bombed.

A lot of work to explain something so simple :/

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 12, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.