Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm really naive about the situation there, but I just saw riots because of some orange parade on the news. Is it still Catholics vs. Protestants? :confused: Sorry for being dumb, but I've never really known about the situation!

ReputationRep:
    yer i just seen it on tv. this is just disgusting.i have never know about it either

ReputationRep:
    Orange parades were yesterday so clashes for a few days unfortunatly.

I've only just been told that my mums side were huge orange supporters in Liverpool-pretty shaming really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frost105)

I've only just been told that my mums side were huge orange supporters in Liverpool-pretty shaming really.
    What are the orange parades for?

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ireland

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frost105)

Why is it shaming? They're celebrating British presence in Ireland and the strong links between the two islands. Why would the parade be shameful and not the riot? Tomorrow in France, they're celebrating Bastille day, the start of the French revolution during which thousands and thousands of people were executed for pretty much no reason, apart from a struggle for power. It also marks the beginning of a period during which Napoleon's France oppressed pretty much every single population in mainland Europe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    Why is it shaming? They're celebrating British presence in Ireland and the strong links between the two islands. Why would the parade be shameful and not the riot? Tomorrow in France, they're celebrating Bastille day, the start of the French revolution during which thousands and thousands of people were executed for pretty much no reason, apart from a struggle for power. It also marks the beginning of a period during which Napoleon's France oppressed pretty much every single population in mainland Europe.
    Well said that man. I being to wonder if patriotism is regarded as a wrong here at times. The yanks get away with so why can't Britons?

ReputationRep:
    Ban religion and lock up all those who refuse in work camps.

ARGH! :mad: I'm so angry about religion and stuff! Religion sparks so much hatred in the world but what I don't get is that religious people lead their lives to please "God" and to follow it's teachings. Now, I'm no expert on religious scripture but I don't think "Thou shall hurl thy abuse at the orange men and thou shall throw bricks at police..." appears in the Bible :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Well said that man. I being to wonder if patriotism is regarded as a wrong here at times. The yanks get away with so why can't Britons?
    That's the problem... anything that's remotely patriotic here in the UK is no longer politically correct.

I can understand the anger of the Catholics who identify themselves with those who were "conquered" but they have to accept that they live in the UK and that sometimes, people will celebrate belonging to the UK.

We're too hard on ourselves. As soon as anything reminds us of our colonial or imperialistic past, we get worried, whereas in effect, that past is pretty shameful but isn't THAT bad. I was watching a documentary on King Leopold, the Belgian King of the Congo. What he got up to in Africa is absolutely despicable, totally sickening, the worst colonial system Africa has ever known, yet you go to Belgium and the place is covered with statues in his honour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)

ARGH! :mad: I'm so angry about religion and stuff! Religion sparks so much hatred in the world but what I don't get is that religious people lead their lives to please "God" and to follow it's teachings. Now, I'm no expert on religious scripture but I don't think "Thou shall hurl thy abuse at the orange men and thou shall throw bricks at police..." appears in the Bible :rolleyes:
    Don't panic too much. Most conflict is in fact caused by territorial disputes. That's how the Ireland situation came about - it's just easier to divide the groups into Catholic/Protestant because it's less long-winded than saying 'those descended from the English who are now generally situated in Northern Ireland versus those descended from the Irish and who are usually associated with the Republic of Ireland'.

Those who use their God's teachings as an excuse to comit violent acts are a minute proportion of their religious communities. We only hear about them because of the terrible things they do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trousers)
    Don't panic too much. Most conflict is in fact caused by territorial disputes. That's how the Ireland situation came about - it's just easier to divide the groups into Catholic/Protestant because it's less long-winded than saying 'those descended from the English who are now generally situated in Northern Ireland versus those descended from the Irish and who are usually associated with the Republic of Ireland'.

Those who use their God's teachings as an excuse to comit violent acts are a minute proportion of their religious communities. We only hear about them because of the terrible things they do.
    The Protestants descend from Scots mostly, at least that's my understanding of the situation. Quite a few have English ancestors too. They have to go back so far back that Great Britain certainly isn't home for them. It's just that they see a relationship with the rest of the UK as representing their British heritage and culture.
    That's what makes the Northern Ireland issue so complicated. Noone can claim that Northern Ireland is more their home than anyone else. That would be like claiming that all whites in North America shouldn't be there.

ReputationRep:

Concentration camps for the religious? Why does that sound familiar?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trousers)

Excellent post. The conflict in Ireland has more to do with territorial conflict than religious conflict.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by svidrigailov)
    Concentration camps for the religious? Why does that sound familiar?
    When the Nazis invaded Poland Catholic nuns and priests were mercilessly persecuted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BellaCat)
    When the Nazis invaded Poland Catholic nuns and priests were mercilessly persecuted.

It was a rhetorical question, but ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chardonnay)
    I'm really naive about the situation there, but I just saw riots because of some orange parade on the news. Is it still Catholics vs. Protestants? :confused: Sorry for being dumb, but I've never really known about the situation!
    what you mean "is it still"? lol

its been like this for half a millennia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    indeed.

all too often i see people blaming the EVIL ORANGE ORDER for daring to have a march a few times a year to celebrate their history and heritage in the country in which they live. rarely see people even questioning the dirt who start rioting. they are clearly in the right... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    what you mean "is it still"? lol

its been like this for half a millennia.
    So the catholics are nationalist? And the protestants think N.I should be part of the UK? Or am I confused?

ReputationRep:

bricks...and blast and petrol bombs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chardonnay)
    So the catholics are nationalist? And the protestants think N.I should be part of the UK? Or am I confused?
    generally yes.

a decent minority of catholics however dont really have any issue with the borders and being part of the UK.

very few protestants or unionists would ever accept a united ireland though. many of them still see partition and the forming of republic of ireland as a step too far and a disgrace.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.