Turn on thread page Beta

philosophy is pointless and is a waste of time watch

ReputationRep:
    My sister argued that philosophy is pointless and is a waste of time. This angered me. what arguments can i giv her?

ReputationRep:
    "If I had sex with you in order to persuade you that their is more to philosophy, would it be morally wrong?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherunsaway)
    "If I had sex with you in order to persuade you that their is more to philosophy, would it be morally wrong?"

erm..dude.. this is my sister we're talking about!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Divine89)
    erm..dude.. this is my sister we're talking about!
    So it would be morally wrong? lol :p:

ReputationRep:
    It's like that dumb ass Government ad on Tv where the guy says he doesn't do politics and then his friend tells him to shut up when he tries to complain about all kinds of political issues.
    If you don't do philosophy you don't do ethics, science, religion, maths etc etc. Any reply or attempt to justify why you can do these things doing these things is going to end up with philosophy. If I say- "without philosophy maths is pointless" (and maths is undisputably useful and practical) and she says "yeah but maths is practical, philosophy isn't" well then straight away you're doing philosophy. What justifies doing something? Is practicallity enough? Is an explanation correct only if it is useful to believe it or does it need something more? yata yata yata.
    Philosophy in a embryonic form is unavoidable. Doing philosophy as an academic subject is just taking an active interest in something everybody does on a much less rigorous and observant scale.
    *shrug*At least that's the way I see it

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm. Practise on this kid called ramroff. He thinks philosophy is pointless too, because he read "Sophie's World" and didn't understand it. He thinks philosophers ask too many questions and that economics is far more relevant to life on this planet. I asked him what could possibly be more relevant than stopping to think about why we are here and what it all means, but he couldn't see past his own nose.

ReputationRep:
    I do Philosophy and study it because I find it interesting and insightful, not whether it serves any potential benefits or improvements to my everyday life.

ReputationRep:
    Some of it's really cool and fun though!!!

Or maybe I'm just a geek

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy is not useless, for those who have dared to dwell into it.

Philosophy helps us to become more questioning as opposed to complacent about the world around us. Why this? Why that? It strengthens our knowledge, wisdom and experience/impressions of the unknown through rigourous anaylsis.

I'd use Plato's analogy of the Cave. This, for me, sums up those people who do not believe in the fundamentals of Philosophy - they are confined in thought; stuck in a dark oppressed world (the cave). Philosophy, for me, is the pathway out of that cave. It extends your thinking grounds. Although Philosophy may not reveal answers, the enlightening experience,feeling of depth and use of compelling questions, is ultimately it's most advantageous quality.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, It would be rather difficult to explain to her what is philosophy and why she should respect it. "What is philosophy" is a question, which has many and not short answers. But may be you can tell her that philosophy gives you many different points of view thus when she is arguing that philosophy is stupid she is actually doing the very same thing she calls stupid. "Philosphy is stupid" is quite an interesting philosophical position and should not be disregarded immediately. After all philosophy, is a science and should always leave room for different views otherwise it would be a religion and not a science. You could link her argument to the philosophy of Witgenshtein, which in short argues that most of the philosophical problems should be regarded as language problems. I.e. philosophy could be seen as full of nonesense bull****. But that as I said is one of the many points of view, which consist this wonderful science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    Or maybe I'm just a geek
    Yes. I'm very sorry.

:p: Nah, philosophy is brainal gymnastics. In fact, it should be classified as a sport and carried out in 2012.

ReputationRep:
    Here's what you need to, Divine. Whatever your sister says, take a key word from the sentence, let's call it x, and say "ah, but what is x?". When she tries to explain x do the same thing with y, ad infinitum until she's pissed off and leaves.

ReputationRep:
    In some cases philosophy is pointless, and unfortunately this is the small bit of philosophy which most people think philosophy is...

It can be useful, as all theoretical assumption is philosophy, and ultimately it is vital for existence of opinions.

The actual subject philosophy in university study has relevant subjects, e.g.ethics, and other subjects which seem completely irrelevant but arent, then theres the bit that is completely irrelevant but makes you feel clever to talk about it.

My point has little basis without examples, help anyone:

ReputationRep:
    Tell your sister that everyone wastes his or her time differently

ReputationRep:
    Well of course Philosophy is useless but it is definately not a waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy is definitely the most practical subject I've ever been interested in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yelwalkietalkie)
    Philosophy is definitely the most practical subject I've ever been interested in.
    Sais more about you than philosophy does it not ? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    Well of course Philosophy is useless but it is definately not a waste of time.
    Depends what you mean by "use".

ReputationRep:
    I think this picture says it all -

From an episode of College University (http://www.collegeuniv.com)
    Always cracked me up.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Actually in a recent survey of American colleges Philosophy graduates were the most likely to obtain jobs.. not that that's the purpose of Philosophy anyway. You're very narrow minded and obviously do not know a lot about the subject if you think it's "impractical" or leads straight to unemployment. Although I used to read some related books previously (Rene Descartes, Plato, Aristotle, Bertrand Russell, Peter Singer, Mary Warnock), since studying Philosophy I've noticed what a difference it has made to my general academic performance. Through the subject I've learnt a lot more about constructing good, valid arguments and it has improved my English more than studying English Literature has. Plus it's enjoyable! There's a rush of excitement you can't beat when you read a theory and suddenly realise its flaws; I love the progression/dodging tactics theories take to avoid these. I love reading the ancient manuscripts and feeling awe-inspired that people were having these thoughts so long ago. Sure, there are no clear answers, but who needs those anyway? Life is uncertain and your easily palatable modern Sciences just detract from this indubitable fact.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.