Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    50 Million Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong. Hehe

ReputationRep:
    philosophy is an intellectual obstacle course...but its worth it in the end!

ReputationRep:
    i think that philosophy can be useful in life no matter what you work with but i don't see the point with taking a degree in it cause it doesn't seem enough.

as for the original question, i don't know what to say. if you enjoy something while doing it it isn't pointless. ask what she she likes (your sister) and say that the feeling that she has for that is the same strong feeling that you have about philosophy. sounds a bit childish but maybe then she will understand why you are interested in it.

ReputationRep:
    "Enough" in the sense of enough of a thing to do with your life?
    The way I've come to see it why does a degree have to lead to a job? I think it a narrow attitude to life to think that you have to get a degree which leads to a job which leads to a house and a family and then you die.
    I do philosophy because I enjoy doing philosophy. I don't learn it so I can use it. I learn it because I enjoy learning it. If later on I find I want to do somethink different I'll get some crappy job somewhere, put myself through medschool and become a doctor. What benefit it there in life if not enjoyment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Divine89)
    My sister argued that philosophy is pointless and is a waste of time. This angered me. what arguments can i giv her?
    Well if she's going to take that attitude ask her what's the point in anything? Tell her she is pointless and a waste of time as well and see how she likes it

Does she watch TV? Or read? Or do anything? If so, ask her what's the point like so:

Q. What's the point in watching TV?
    A. Entertaining and fun
    Q. What's the point in entertainment and fun?
    A. Eh... makes me feel good about myself
    Q. What is the point in feeling good about yourself?

etc etc until you come to the inevitable conclusion that life itself is pointless and a waste of time, and then ask her if life itself is pointless and a waste of time. Then make her think about this:

'This statement is untrue'

Philosophy is all about questions....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calvin)
    "Enough" in the sense of enough of a thing to do with your life?
    The way I've come to see it why does a degree have to lead to a job? I think it a narrow attitude to life to think that you have to get a degree which leads to a job which leads to a house and a family and then you die.
    I do philosophy because I enjoy doing philosophy. I don't learn it so I can use it. I learn it because I enjoy learning it. If later on I find I want to do somethink different I'll get some crappy job somewhere, put myself through medschool and become a doctor. What benefit it there in life if not enjoyment?
    no, enough in the sense of that it will be harder to get a job when you are compared to someone with another degree.
    off course you should enjoy life and if that means reading philosophy then do it.

this isn't the subject if the thread just a way to explain my previous answer.

during this past year i have worked at a supermarket cause i felt that i needed i break from school anyway there i meet people that were between 25-30 working as a cashier or other things not knowing what to do with their lifes and they were miserable. some of them were highly educated, like master of engineering but there weren't any jobs for them. and others had started on a degree and then dropped out. and that is partly what i based my answer on. i don't want to be 25 and a cashier! or waiting for my life to begin, cause that is what they are doing, complained but didnt do anything about it. and another thing an old classmate just had a baby, she has no work, no education, no drivers license she is dependent on her boyfriend. i don't want to be dependent on someone else that is why i need a degree.

as for reading a degree for enjoyment, i was thinking about art history cause it is interesting to learn but there are no or were little jobs in that so i decided to have it as an interst and read books on my own about it. however don't think that i am taking a degree that will lead to a job, family etc. i do it cause i like it.

ReputationRep:
    But I guess what I'm saying is that, I don't think these people are unhappy because there are no jobs for them. They're unhappy because they don't have goals or dreams anymore by the sound of it. If you're working as a cashier (even if you hate it) to earn the money to buy a boat and sail around the south seas then that's different. Life is about making it what you want and there are always opportunities if you have the motivation to look for them.
    It isn't being a cashier that makes a person unhappy. Its not doing something that they want to do.

ReputationRep:
    Wellp always go for something that interests you and youll find happyto live with. Some people want richess while some want simplicity.

ReputationRep:
    Saying philosophy is pointless is same thing as saying life is pointless. Everyone end up having their own life philosophy, not only those things we learn on text book and past philosophers. Sometimes people mistaken philosophy completely, philosophy is something we can’t put into words although we are trying to. Study of ultimate reality is as useful as our life itself.

(Original post by xyro)
    Tell your sister that everyone wastes his or her time differently
    That's true...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nasht)
    Wellp always go for something that interests you and youll find happyto live with. Some people want richess while some want simplicity.
    Money is a tool. Nobody wants it, people want the feeling it gives them or the things they can buy with it.

...well except coin collectors maybe.

ReputationRep:
    Money is a tool. Nobody wants it, people want the feeling it gives them or the things they can buy with it.

.... well exect people who collect money maybe

...and those who do collect money are collecting the art of these things.

ReputationRep:
    zackly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nasht)
    In fact I might be the exception then, I go for something that's challenging and sometimes not interesting at all.

ReputationRep:
    ...hmmm. Wait, I think I can wriggle out of that... you're interested by the challenge? Or maybe you simply go for the challenging thing. Simply - you want simplicity. Thus you're just like nasht said. Ah the sophistry. That's what I do this for

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Divine89)
    My sister argued that philosophy is pointless and is a waste of time. This angered me. what arguments can i giv her?
    I think a lot of people question the "worth" of philosophy.

To me, philosophy is about questioning the world around us and attempting to answer the major questions of life. I'm sure most people question whether God exists, or what constitutes right or wrong conduct.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I don't think philosophy is worthless. It's a good and unique exercise for your brains and minds other than the mundane lab reports, essays, etc (dunno if anyone agree... :p: ). Philosphical questions don't have to be answered (as they'll make you sick eventually) but rather, they've got to be at least thought and taken into consideration.
    I always find philosophy, esp. in sciences, as fascinating. I dunno 'bout other work, but if any of you want to be a writer, philosophy is a very, very useful thing to play with, to add some depths and beauty to your writing. Even if you write fantasy. Look at Harry Potter. They target the books for younger audience, but the books are actually full of philosophical thinking on love, hate, time, intellegence, universe, and death. And I tell you, these are not easy topics.

So, Divine89, ask your sister: "Which one comes first, the chicken or the egg?"

ReputationRep:
    "Chicken and the egg" ?! Oh no, that must be the most trite and over used philosophy question there is. It annoys me so much when people say, "oh you do philosophy hey? So, do I exist?" It's so condescending. Surely saying philosophy is important and then using that question as an example is a contradiction?

No offence meant to you Spica, just ranting on something that bugs me

ReputationRep:
    "Chicken and the egg" ?! Oh no, that must be the most trite and over used philosophy question there is. It annoys me so much when people say, "oh you do philosophy hey? So, do I exist?" It's so condescending. Surely saying philosophy is important and then using that question as an example is a contradiction?

No offence meant to you Spica, just ranting on something that bugs me
    Ah I know, it annoys me so much too.

I'm so much more impressed if someone comes up with something original as opposed to rattling off a humdrum question that has been used so much it makes your subject look like a joke.

It's like the philosophical equivalent of a cliché.

ReputationRep:
    Your everyday guy is not all that familiar with philosophy these days. The guy who rattles off the rather-silly-from-our-perspective 'So is this a chair?' question is usually just showing an interest in you and your subject, trying to engage you in a conversation about something you obviously like talking about, and perhaps even wanting to learn from your view.

In these days, when the subject is tragically non-compulsory at all levels, this can only be a good thing. Sure, the question may be a bit primitive from the viewpoint of a philosophy student, but the best response is to actually try and do the best you can with it, and maybe in the process show said person just how deep philosophy can go. And to be fair, the cliches do often express actual philosophical problems, whether they're over-familiar or not. The guy isn't being condescending unless he knows that the question is primitive and is asking it with that intent in mind. This is rarely the case. Responding with annoyance strikes me as rather condescending though.

So meh, I just think that needed to be said. I'm not trying to attack either of you, God knows I often feel annoyed when someone asks questions like that after hearing that I do philosophy. But I think it's unjustified, and perhaps just cements our other stereotypes of being elitist and aloof. I mean...the questions I ask my science-studying buddies must sound pretty dumb from their far more advanced perspective on the subject...but they still try and answer them on my level as best they can. Surely that's the correct attitude?

ReputationRep:
    Oh and the egg, by the way. More biology than philosophy there.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.