Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    You're right, Iago. I suppose my criticisms were directed only at those who were not actually taking a positive interest but using questions like that to highlight how "ridiculous" philosophy is. It's the "ho ho ho anyone can be a philosopher" types that worry me. I'm absolutely delighted when someone actually does take a genuine interest and doesn't sound like they know it all already. 'Cause no one does really.

ReputationRep:
    Then we are in total agreement. I know plenty 'philosophy is a load of old men thinking about faries at the bottom of the garden!' types, and for me they rank alongside 'You're of a waste of my tax!' and 'I hate philosophy because there are no answers and it just goes round in circles!' types.

The moral of story: What one cannot speak of one must please please please pass over in absoloute hush-hush silence until one has something constructive to say.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't understand some types of philosophy at all. Political philosophy is one thing but I'll be buggered if I know what's going on when people start talking about existentialism or whatever it's called. Too deep for me.

ReputationRep:
    Of course some philosophy is hugely pertinent and has had a huge impact on humanity but generally id regard it as pointless and a hobby/practice which is concerned more with self satisfaction than anything greater (and i say this as someone who enjoys reading philosophy greatly). I tend to class it as intellectual masturbation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I really don't understand some types of philosophy at all. Political philosophy is one thing but I'll be buggered if I know what's going on when people start talking about existentialism or whatever it's called. Too deep for me.
    Well, it doesn't matter if you don't know about existentialism. It really doesn't count as proper philosophy. :p:

*Waits for Zara to protest*

ReputationRep:
    Agreed. Total swill.
    ...Run away!

ReputationRep:
    Don't listen to little miss logical positivism and her analytical friend Howard. Existentialism is regarded as a major philosophical movement, and is a continuing school of thought today, unlike hardcore empiricism which used to disregard such types of philosophy, and is dying out today.

(I had to make the protest on Zara's behalf. He's not around at the moment :p: )

ReputationRep:
    Well I don't know. A lot of philosophy of science is essentially hardcore empiricism. And Hume still has pretty much a strangle hold on a lot of contemporary metaphysics.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't call modern Humean thought 'hardcore' empricism as such. The fact that his empiricism deals so much with metaphysics shows that it doesn't even approach the lengths to which the positivists took empiricism. And the philosophy of science will always understandably have an empiricist bent...but even this has been watered down recently, putting more focus on the pragmatic usefulness of the scientific method rather than its ability to actually convey knowledge about the world to us.

But I see your point. Empiricism is still very much alive. For now anyway. I just wanted to make the point that it is no longer taken to its extremes and regarded as the final and greatest school of philosophical thought. Existentialism, pragmatism, and other alternative schools of thought are still very much seen as reasonable positions to take.

ReputationRep:
    Fair point. It's certainly no logical positivism, though I'm not sure that's so indefensible...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iago)
    Then we are in total agreement. I know plenty 'philosophy is a load of old men thinking about faries at the bottom of the garden!' types, and for me they rank alongside 'You're of a waste of my tax!' and 'I hate philosophy because there are no answers and it just goes round in circles!' types.

The moral of story: What one cannot speak of one must please please please pass over in absoloute hush-hush silence until one has something constructive to say.
    How Wittgeinsteinian (sp) of you. I like that.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it helped me get into University, so I'm not complaining...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calvin)
    "Chicken and the egg" ?! Oh no, that must be the most trite and over used philosophy question there is. It annoys me so much when people say, "oh you do philosophy hey? So, do I exist?"
    If you get that one, just say "No", and proceed to ignore them.

ReputationRep:
    I like your Alpha Centauri quote Wise One. :p:
    My favourite faction is the University science types (being an Imperial student, that makes sense, hehe).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wise One)
    If you get that one, just say "No", and proceed to ignore them.
    Or tell them you're a solopsist and then hit them on the arm.

ReputationRep:
    Hume still has pretty much a strangle hold on a lot of contemporary metaphysics.
    Got to agree with that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    I like your Alpha Centauri quote Wise One. :p:
    My favourite faction is the University science types (being an Imperial student, that makes sense, hehe).
    They're my second favourite. I love that game, but seem to have lost the CD.

ReputationRep:
    Now there's gaming at its finest.

While in terms of bonuses the University are by far and away the best faction in the game, I usually go with the Gaians at the end of the day. They're insane, sure...but y'know, mindworms.

That's right, this is an Alpha Centauri discusion now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iago)
    Now there's gaming at its finest.

While in terms of bonuses the University are by far and away the best faction in the game, I usually go with the Gaians at the end of the day. They're insane, sure...but y'know, mindworms.

That's right, this is an Alpha Centauri discusion now.
    no, i want to know what came first the chicken or the egg? :p: even though that is more biology than philosophy. it is an ambiguous question, or? if it is (ambiguous) then what is the point with it? and if it isn't what is the answer?

ReputationRep:
    Well if you take the question literally evolutionary biology provides a theoretical answer:

The first chicken egg would have been laid by another species of bird, very much like a chicken in many respects but not quite a chicken as such. This creature was the first, direct evolutionary ancestor of the chicken. Somewhere along the line, the DNA of the offspring (the chicken egg) will have mutated, turning it from being just another almost-chicken to an actual chicken. Then it hatches, and BLAMO! You have a chicken out of that first chicken egg.

This chicken, right? Probably dies alone and unloved. Or sleeps with the almost-chicken creatures (or whatever it is that chickens do to reproduce) and mucks the whole thing up. But supposing that over a period of time similiar mutations occur to a larger degree for whatever reason, then suddenly you got chickens all over the place looking for chicken dates. With other chickens. Suddenly chickens are thriving, out-surviving and out-reproducing the close-but-no-cigar-not-quite-chickens. And then I don't know...the other ones die and then...Batman is born...or something...

Well, it goes a little something like that anyhow. I've no doubt I've oversimplified, misdescribed, and crudified the process to a atrocious level, so I'll let any biologists in here make corrections as they see fit.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.