Turn on thread page Beta

philosophy is pointless and is a waste of time watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iago)
    Well if you take the question literally evolutionary biology provides a theoretical answer:

The first chicken egg would have been laid by another species of bird, very much like a chicken in many respects but not quite a chicken as such. This creature was the first, direct evolutionary ancestor of the chicken. Somewhere along the line, the DNA of the offspring (the chicken egg) will have mutated, turning it from being just another almost-chicken to an actual chicken. Then it hatches, and BLAMO! You have a chicken out of that first chicken egg.

This chicken, right? Probably dies alone and unloved. Or sleeps with the almost-chicken creatures (or whatever it is that chickens do to reproduce) and mucks the whole thing up. But supposing that over a period of time similiar mutations occur to a larger degree for whatever reason, then suddenly you got chickens all over the place looking for chicken dates. With other chickens. Suddenly chickens are thriving, out-surviving and out-reproducing the close-but-no-cigar-not-quite-chickens. And then I don't know...the other ones die and then...Batman is born...or something...

Well, it goes a little something like that anyhow. I've no doubt I've oversimplified, misdescribed, and crudified the process to a atrocious level, so I'll let any biologists in here make corrections as they see fit.
    even though you did that it was fun and interesting to read. so the answer would then be the egg. an egg that the evoloved version (the chicken) would have been born from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iago)
    Well if you take the question literally evolutionary biology provides a theoretical answer:

The first chicken egg would have been laid by another species of bird, very much like a chicken in many respects but not quite a chicken as such. This creature was the first, direct evolutionary ancestor of the chicken. Somewhere along the line, the DNA of the offspring (the chicken egg) will have mutated, turning it from being just another almost-chicken to an actual chicken. Then it hatches, and BLAMO! You have a chicken out of that first chicken egg.

This chicken, right? Probably dies alone and unloved. Or sleeps with the almost-chicken creatures (or whatever it is that chickens do to reproduce) and mucks the whole thing up. But supposing that over a period of time similiar mutations occur to a larger degree for whatever reason, then suddenly you got chickens all over the place looking for chicken dates. With other chickens. Suddenly chickens are thriving, out-surviving and out-reproducing the close-but-no-cigar-not-quite-chickens. And then I don't know...the other ones die and then...Batman is born...or something...

Well, it goes a little something like that anyhow. I've no doubt I've oversimplified, misdescribed, and crudified the process to a atrocious level, so I'll let any biologists in here make corrections as they see fit.
    Depends on the question tho'. Which came first, the chicken or the chicken egg? Obviously the chicken or you can have no chicken eggs. What came first the chicken or the generic egg? I somehow doubt the chicken was the first thing to lay eggs!

ReputationRep:
    You can have a chicken egg without a chicken though. The first chicken would have been laid by something not quite altogether a chicken and thus its egg came first (or at least that's what the theory dictates)

ReputationRep:
    True. Well then again to the question. Which came first the chicken or the egg laid by a chicken? Obvious answer.
    Which came first the chicken or the egg with a chicken in it? Again problem solved.

And another of the great mysteries of life falls before our overpowering intellect :p:

ReputationRep:
    Like the castle wall falls to the battering ram.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.