Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If you get a B in your AS Level, is a B the highest possible grade you could get in your overall A Level? :confused:

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    no it work on ums points. To get an A at Alevel then you need 480/600 and an A at AS is 240/300 (a B is 210/300) so say you get 210 in your AS then you will need to get 270/300 on your A2 papers. TBH I think it would be hard to do considering A2 is much harder, so it would be best to resit modules if you got a B and want an A

ReputationRep:
    i was in the same boat as you, i got BBC at AS level, but when january came about i resat basically all of my papers again and when the results from january came i was sitting on AAA. The more important thing i feel is to have the offers from university in place incase you do turn it all around like i did. Just work on your personal statement and don't be afraid to apply to places which ask for higher grades than what you think you will get atm

I went from a C to an A in just over 6 months, nothings impossible.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on what 'B' grade mark you received. In my AS chemistry I got 236/300 UMS points (you need 240 for an A). The gap between this mark and an A grade mark is small however so it is easier for someone to obtain an A grade at A2 than someone who received 210 UMS marks. I actually did better on my A2 January exam and coursework than I did in my AS modules and need 95/120 UMS for an A overall. However, I also resat module 1 to try to increase my chances of getting an A grade, even though it was probably a waste of time because I actually found module 4 a lot easier than module 1.. don't ask why! Like I've already said, I think it just depends on what UMS marks you received for the AS.

ReputationRep:
    If you only just scraped a B at AS, you might want to consider resitting at least 1 module, otherwise it will be very hard to get an A overall. If you get a high B, it shouldn't matter too much though.

ReputationRep:
    How many times can you re-sit, oh wise one? ?

ReputationRep:
    about twice? if your lucky ..but some schools only let you resit the once because if you screw up your exam the secnd time despite resitting they will prolly think itsa waste of time and your not serious or determined enough etc etc
    but its you thats gna be paying so i think they should leave it up to you personally

ReputationRep:
    My school lets yo do them as many times as you want.

I might have another go at my AS biology mod 2 as it's dragging down my grade a little. I need 30 more marks to get a B for AS so I think I may stand a chance (given I got an E on that paper). Only problem is I've already accepted the C grade, so could I resit again now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PennyRoyalTea)
    about twice? if your lucky ..but some schools only let you resit the once because if you screw up your exam the secnd time despite resitting they will prolly think itsa waste of time and your not serious or determined enough etc etc
    but its you thats gna be paying so i think they should leave it up to you personally
    I think that's just specific to your school only. I've heard most schools let give you unlimited resits.

ReputationRep:
    thats so cool:p:

ReputationRep:
    The official word from the exam boards is that you can resit each unit as many times as you want and the highest mark counts, but there might be specific rules at each individual school or college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twiga)
    My school lets yo do them as many times as you want.

I might have another go at my AS biology mod 2 as it's dragging down my grade a little. I need 30 more marks to get a B for AS so I think I may stand a chance (given I got an E on that paper). Only problem is I've already accepted the C grade, so could I resit again now?
    I think, if you didn't decline your AS grade, you can still resit, but your AS grade won't change; your new marks will simply be added to your A2 marks to give you your final A-level grade, but if you're carrying onto A2, your AS grade doesn't matter anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot everyone. Stupid question but how do you know what your UMS points were? Do you get it on your results sheet or what? Sorry :confused:

My teacher told me I probably would get high As in the Performing and Composing modules (I did Music) - I think maybe he was being insanely optimistic there - but I completely fluffed up the exam, so does that really bring your whole AS grade down?

Soz, I'm pretty confuzzled about all this stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whizz Kid)
    I think that's just specific to your school only. I've heard most schools let give you unlimited resits.
    ah but most make you pay for the ones after your first free one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rasta)
    Thanks a lot everyone. Stupid question but how do you know what your UMS points were? Do you get it on your results sheet or what? Sorry :confused:

My teacher told me I probably would get high As in the Performing and Composing modules (I did Music) - I think maybe he was being insanely optimistic there - but I completely fluffed up the exam, so does that really bring your whole AS grade down?

Soz, I'm pretty confuzzled about all this stuff.
    Yes, the UMS wiull say in the results sheet. UMS will be displayed next to your modules you took, and there would be a total UMS for the AS or A-level subject.

You might be interested in how a results sheet look like. As you can see in the website, the UMS score will appear on the right hand side of the module title and the results slip. http://www.studential.com/as/edexcel-results.htm (scroll down until you see the picture, the other picture says stuff about the boundary UMS and grades, so match the UMS you have with the chart on the second picture to see what grade you get).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    Yes, the UMS wiull say in the results sheet. UMS will be displayed next to your modules you took, and there would be a total UMS for the AS or A-level subject.

You might be interested in how a results sheet look like. As you can see in the website, the UMS score will appear on the right hand side of the module title and the results slip. http://www.studential.com/as/edexcel-results.htm (scroll down until you see the picture, the other picture says stuff about the boundary UMS and grades, so match the UMS you have with the chart on the second picture to see what grade you get).
    Thanks a lot I figured you got the same kinda sheet as for your GCSE, oops :p: Thanks, was v. helpful.

ReputationRep:
    just out of curiousity is 221/300 a middle B :confused:

It was so annoying because i was four marks off an A in my exam :mad: but my coursework was one mark off a B because we basically had to work in groups and i got stuck with people that didn't put in a lot of effort.

This year though i got an A in my coursework so what would i need this year to keep my B?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rasta)
    Thanks a lot I figured you got the same kinda sheet as for your GCSE, oops :p: Thanks, was v. helpful.
    You're welcome.

Yes, it's the same sheet as GCSE. Each exam board will be the same too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    just out of curiousity is 221/300 a middle B :confused:

It was so annoying because i was four marks off an A in my exam :mad: but my coursework was one mark off a B because we basically had to work in groups and i got stuck with people that didn't put in a lot of effort.

This year though i got an A in my coursework so what would i need this year to keep my B?
    210-240 out of 300 is a B

isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PennyRoyalTea)
    210-240 out of 300 is a B

isn't it?
    yeh i'm trying to work out if it's a low B or a middle B. It must be a middle B then.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.