Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you can re-sit a module as many times as you want. (I hope so anyway :rolleyes: ) However, in some cases they take the highest mark from your last two sittings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    just out of curiousity is 221/300 a middle B :confused:

It was so annoying because i was four marks off an A in my exam :mad: but my coursework was one mark off a B because we basically had to work in groups and i got stuck with people that didn't put in a lot of effort.

This year though i got an A in my coursework so what would i need this year to keep my B?
    A B at A-level is 420/600, so if you already have 221 from last year, you need another 199 this year, which is a mid C.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stratomaster)
    I'm sure you can re-sit a module as many times as you want. (I hope so anyway :rolleyes: ) However, in some cases they take the highest mark from your last two sittings.
    It used to be that you could only resit twice and your original mark was wiped out, so you had to take the highest mark of the 2 resits, but they've now changed it and you can resit as many times as you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    I think, if you didn't decline your AS grade, you can still resit, but your AS grade won't change; your new marks will simply be added to your A2 marks to give you your final A-level grade, but if you're carrying onto A2, your AS grade doesn't matter anyway.
    It would be nice to get a B for AS and maybe increse my chances of getting a B overall (ok a bit of wishful thinking there lol)

ReputationRep:
    Its doable, my boyfriend got a B at AS History and then a A in his overall alevel mark (but he did get full marks on his synoptic paper!)

ReputationRep:
    I moved from an E in one module to an A in Physics without any lessons

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spikerocker)
    I moved from an E in one module to an A in Physics without any lessons
    *applaudes* :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I'd advise anyone doing yr13 next year that some point (probably only nearish the exams) you should sit down and carefully work out exactly what marks you need to get in each subject to get the grade you want. Obviously you should still aim as high as you can but sometimes it can be quite relaxing when you realise that grade boundaries arent as high as you think they are. For example I got a really high A in law at AS and then a B in my Jan module. I worked out that I only needed 119/210 in the final 2 exams, which is like a C or a D to get an A overall.

ReputationRep:
    If you resit, do uni's find out about it? Coz i'm very confused. for med. mong others, they say 'we do not accept resit offers'...erm what does that really mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Divine89)
    If you resit, do uni's find out about it? Coz i'm very confused. for med. mong others, they say 'we do not accept resit offers'...erm what does that really mean?
    It means that if you wanted to retake your alevels, as in all the exams you took in year 13, they would not accept it. That is because they want you to have done it in one go, not any retakes. Uni's do find out whether you take retakes in a-levels. Some mind (mainly med, possibly law) others not so. You would have to research the particular uni to see if they mind. Hopefully you'll do well first time round that you will not need to retake ay modules.

ReputationRep:
    what!
    wow!
    I pray no one will have to face that! Do I hear an Amen from u lot? :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Amen to that! I was planning on resitting every module ...I do things better the 2nd time round!

ReputationRep:
    Amen to that! I was planning on resitting every module ...I do things better the 2nd time round!
    Same here. For example, one of the modules I got an E. In the resit i got an A for that module!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm..yeah that's very worrying. Out of curiosity..how do the universities find out?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm..yeah that's very worrying. Out of curiosity..how do the universities find out?
    When you resit, you have to put the AS subject twice. Alternatively, you could decline the AS, and put the A2 grade as pending. This is what our teacher said.

I resat 2 modules and declined the AS grade. I put the A2 grade as pending. Therefore, uni's know that I resat some modules. In the end, I still got offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    When you resit, you have to put the AS subject twice. Alternatively, you could decline the AS, and put the A2 grade as pending. This is what our teacher said.

I resat 2 modules and declined the AS grade. I put the A2 grade as pending. Therefore, uni's know that I resat some modules. In the end, I still got offers.
    That's true in some circumstances but I disagree with your comment that universities thus know you resat modules. Some sixth forms and colleges don't automatically cash in AS levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    That's true in some circumstances but I disagree with your comment that universities thus know you resat modules. Some sixth forms and colleges don't automatically cash in AS levels.
    For us, we get a choice to cash in or not in our school. Most of the students in our school cash in their AS level grades, so there is something to show along with the reference, personal statement, and predicted grades. Students who do not cash them usually got an E/U, or in some cases a D, and therefore, they might want to decline it and resit.

How come some schools/collges don't cash in AS levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    For us, we get a choice to cash in or not in our school. Most of the students in our school cash in their AS level grades, so there is something to show along with the reference, personal statement, and predicted grades. Students who do not cash them usually got an E/U, or in some cases a D, and therefore, they might want to decline it and resit.

How come some schools/collges don't cash in AS levels?
    Perhaps some don't cash them in because it's not really necessary - students will continue to A2 anyway and it gives the sixth form/college increased flexibility as they won't have to mess around declining awards etc.
    I personally declined my grade B in Biology as I had AS module results of the order AAD.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.