Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey all, this is my first post here so erm hi.

I got my first year results yesterday, I got 69%. Was over the moon.

Phoned my girlfriend, she has failed four modules therefore has to do a re-assesment year of just the modules she has failed.

We were both in a right mess initially but have calmed down and started to think rationally about it.

She thinks that there is a chance her family may stop paying her tutition fees once they find out. The plan thus far is that she is not going to tell them until she is back at uni (we are both moving down in August to our new house) and has saved up a little money. She is going to pay for her tution fees for her re-assesment year (4 * £150) even if her mam and dad offer too.

The two main things i am needing info on are related to student loans:

1)Can she get her loans for four years now instead of the original three? Im assuming so but im slightly concerened as for the re-assesment year she will only be on part time hours (i think so any ways)

2)She is not entitled to the full loan. Is it possible, if she says her mam and dad have said they are not going to support her anymore and that she is living on her own, at uni, all year round, to get the full loan. Also her sister is starting uni this October, would this be taken into account when trying for a full loan?

One more question which im sure i know. On the backl of the results slip it says each failed module for a re-assesment year is charged at £150. Surely that means the total for the year is £600 if she is doing 4 modules not the usuall fee plus the £600. Im guessing it is £600, its gotta be im just making sure.

Thanks much.

<edit>If i view this thread from the General Disccusion forum i only get the first two posts. If i view it from the main page (its the most recent topic, atm) i get all four? Something to do with me changing the title?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about the financial matters but does she not get to retake the exams for the failed modules in August. I know that happens at most universities, what university are you dealing with?

ReputationRep:
    Its Chester, a College of Liverpool.

She has failed > 3 therefore has to do a re-assesment year.

Thanks tho.

ReputationRep:
    Right, thanks for that PQ.

My heart has just sank and i feel sick. ****.

If she was to not tell the student loans people, would she be able to get the loan for the re-assesment year, and her second year but not her last? This way at least we could save up to cover her accomidation for her third year?

Or is that a really bad idea?

I have it lucky, may parents pay my rent and my tution fees. We are both working, we will have to cover her rent for next year between us, if that is the situation.

Your right we do need to speak with some financial advisor at Chester.

This is ****ing awful.

<edit> I have just thought. Im not sure she will be an external student. It says students must attend re-assesment modules with attendence. So she will still be at lecturers, just half as many. Is this right, or am i grasping at straws here?

ReputationRep:
    Right, thanks again PQ.

We will get it sorted, its just ****ing awful how much money can affect a relationship. She has a job at a resturant and they are always needing staff, she was working 30 - 40 hour weeks in the last two weeks, after we had broke up. The on campus job seems like a really good idea.

We really need to speak with a finacial advisor.

Dont know how im gonna tell her this.

ReputationRep:
    Ohh, of course. The Access to Learning funds never crossed my mind.

I dont suppose you know what intrest rates are like on those? and what the maximum is?

Thanks again PQ you have been a big help.

ReputationRep:
    Right, thanks again for your help PQ it is much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Her best bet must be to come clean to her parents. If she *only* has to retake 4 modules, working part time should not be an issue, therefore funding herself shouldn't be too harsh either....

ReputationRep:
    i hope all works out for your girlfriend (i have a boyfriend in a similar situation) and she's lucky to have such a caring guy looking out for her, good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    If she's attending part time though she still wont be eligible to get a student loan...she might be able to get a grant to pay her fees (up to £575) and up to a £250 living allowances grant http://www.dfes.gov.uk/studentsuppor...ds/PT-ptfc.pdf
    http://www.dfes.gov.uk/studentsuppor..._stude_1.shtml
    Has this changed recently? I had to retake my first year and was registered part time 2002-03. I still got student loan for the year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingspharm)
    Has this changed recently? I had to retake my first year and was registered part time 2002-03. I still got student loan for the year?
    I know someone who was also a part-time student doing only one module (dissertation) and she managed to get a full student loan. The best advice to give her is to go to the finance office at the college - they will be able to tell her for sure what she can and can't apply for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammin1984)
    Its Chester, a College of Liverpool.

She has failed > 3 therefore has to do a re-assesment year.

Thanks tho.
    Is there chance of her sitting subs?? Like is it poss for her to sit a sub or something, I would defo look into it.

When I was in my first year I did an extremely difficult unit out of my league in the biochemistry faculty (ie. not my area at any rate! ) and almost failed...

but didn't b/c I got to do a re-sit! :p:

I had to beg for one tho, and even got a doctor's certificate, plus notes from other lecturers saying that if I'm clever enough to get +75 in another biology subject (just not biochem :/ ) then perhaps it's just the wrong area for me. But that doesn't mean I should fail.

So I was given another chance and did a sub, then passed with a PX which means that I passed, but I had to sit a sub. That was a bad, bad semester

Anyway I hope things all work out for you and your GF

Best of luck,

Danni xox

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackieS)
    I know someone who was also a part-time student doing only one module (dissertation) and she managed to get a full student loan. The best advice to give her is to go to the finance office at the college - they will be able to tell her for sure what she can and can't apply for.
    I don't think I got the full loan I would have if I had been full time, but can't remember now.

Just looked in the brochure from the SLC for this year's applications and it does say that the student loan is only available to Full time, sandwich course and part time ITT students - so PQ is right.

ReputationRep:
    You can re-sit the first year of a course and you will usually get a student loan for it. My son has just done exactly that. Tuition fees vary, but living costs usually dwarf the fees anyway.

You can't hide from the SLC people because you'll have to have the loan form stamped by the uni. However, I don't understand why she'd be an external student. Was she already an external student? If not, her re-assessment year will be on the same basis.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.