Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    When applying for jobs, they always ask for the names and contact details of at least 2 references. My problem is that I have hardly worked before (only 2 weeks retail experience and 1 month as a marketing assistant,) so who do I put down as my reference?

I was thinking of putting down a name of my old secondary school teacher who was really cool with me, but is that allowed as a reference? Who can I put down as a reference? I can't put down the names of those I used to work for because they have all moved on now!

ReputationRep:
    yer u can put ur old secondary teacher. But if i were u, i would call him and ask him for his permisssion.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I might have to do that then... but who else am I allowed to put in the references section? Friends, Family? who would be deemed acceptable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brit_girl_ldn)
    Yeh I might have to do that then... but who else am I allowed to put in the references section? Friends, Family? who would be deemed acceptable?
    If you haven't worked before, you can put down a character reference (who knows your skills/attributes) as opposed to a previous employer. Have you ever done any babysitting before, or been part of a sports team etc? If you can think of anyone that knows you through things like that, you can put them down.

ReputationRep:
    You could just put the name of someone you used to work for, and deny all knowledge of them having moved on! It's a bit cheeky, but they probably won't follow it up. :flute:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by brit_girl_ldn)
    Family are (without exception as far as I know) unacceptable as references. Friends (e.g. from school) wouldn't really be a very good bet, but a family friend of the type who can sign a passport application (i.e. professional type - doctor, teacher, etc.) is usually OK. Teachers are fine too, or tutors at university. Some places recommend you provide an academic and an employment reference, or a character and employment reference (i.e. teacher/family friend and previous employer) wherever possible.
    Jenn xx

ReputationRep:
    i normally use my mum's best friends, as she has been theref or me whilst i've been growing up. Then i either put my college tutor, my secondary school teacher wrote a reference and i keep that in my roa

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rose64)
    You could just put the name of someone you used to work for, and deny all knowledge of them having moved on! It's a bit cheeky, but they probably won't follow it up. :flute:
    would that actually work??

because i actually have worked before but the place that i worked for has closed down and i dont know what i should put down for my reference. i was thinking putting my college tutor but i got told she was retiring...

ReputationRep:
    I've put my business studes teacher down for my reference, I've got permission from my ICT teacher if I think he would be more suitable. When do they actually get referances off people? I've just had an interview this week, and as far as I know he wasn't contacted before the interview, but I think that somewhere along the interviewing, shortlisting process they probably would want to get an educational referance, because the job requires a lot of studying to be successful, fairly high grades to apply, because I think the job is supposed to be quite difficult. Just out of interest do many employees actually follow up referances, I was thinking about that because school ends next week, I finished ages ago, but then I woul;dn't have any references to put down, as the teachers won't be there, unless I tell the companies they can phone the school on results day, when they will be there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kangol)
    would that actually work??

because i actually have worked before but the place that i worked for has closed down and i dont know what i should put down for my reference. i was thinking putting my college tutor but i got told she was retiring...
    I sometimes put down the manager of the deli I used to work in, which I know has now gone out of business. No-one's ever asked me about it! :angel: They probably just phone my other reference instead, which is either Marks & Spencer or my former college tutor.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.