Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone carrying on 4 A2 subjects next year? Or has done in the past?

How difficult is it? I'm going to be doing English Lit, English Lang, History and German and was just wondering how other people coped with four subjects at A2 level.

ReputationRep:
    i am planning to do 4, but seeing as i have not quite made it there yet, like yourself, i couldnt possibly tell you ! but i am interested to know how others have found it in the past.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing 7A2s and an AS next year, am a little aprehensive about it; but it should be ok

ReputationRep:
    how the hell did you manage to get to do those ? i wasnt allowed to do more than 4 :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I don't know too much about this because I'm only starting my AS in september, but I'm doing 5.

4 A2 are definitely possible but beware you do have quite a tough selection as in alot of essay writing in english lan/lit and history so this could be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    If really want to do 4 subjects, then go ahead!
    You can always drop one during the second year if you don't feel comfortable doing it!
    What is worse than doing 3 subjects and wishing you had taken the 4th, and then regretting it?
    If you are good at essay subjects, then these subjects wouldn't be too bad, but from what other people have told me, 4 subjects is not necessary (since unis only need 3) and only do it if you want to, and enjoy those subjects and you feel like you can handle it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think I'm carrying on all four, dropping German is tempting, but it actually doesn't seem like *that* much work. It's just our teachers make up work to keep us busy :evil:
    We can always drop something in September if it's a curse. I'd mostly LOVE to drop chemistry, because our teacher's a pillock, gah. But I need Chem for medicine or any sciencey degree really. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I've not started AS Levels yet as I've only just finished GCSEs,but the procedure at my school seems to be that most people study three subjexcts in the A2 year,but some are allowed to continue with the four they study at AS. My advice would be a) only do it if you feel you would regret it in the future and B) Only if you know that your other grades won't suffer as a result. Your choice of German woul also demonstrate you know more than how to write an essay and Languages are useful in any job. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.

ReputationRep:
    this thread has been done...have a look a few pages back

ReputationRep:
    I've decided to carry on with all 4 and also pick up GCSE Spanish. It will be a lot of work, but I think if you enjoy all your subjects and are good at time management, it should be fine. You can always drop one if you find it too much or it's starting to affect your grades though.

ReputationRep:
    i've jus finished my gcses and i might do 4 A2s although dropping psychology is abit tempting. i will see as the year goes.

ReputationRep:
    i will start A2 this Aug... with bio chem math n phy... i know it will be a burden.. but if ur interested in wat ur doing... then u should go ahead

ReputationRep:
    It's not that much more work than doing 3 and and AS, I did 4 this year. It also gives you a wider range to pick from for grades for university

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to have 5 A2s and an extra AS if all goes well (maths, further maths, politics, economics, german, critical thinking AS).

I'd say that unless 2 are related (e.g. maths and further maths) 5 is too many, but 4 separate subjects is doable if you're intelligent and willing to work hard. It also helps if you can get one of them out of the way early then it helps. I had my maths A2 done by Jan this year, so I'll only have 4 A2s to do and one of them will be spread across Jan and June.

ReputationRep:
    I did five A2s (Eng Lit, French, German, History, Latin, as well as General Studies, which I don't really count), so it's certainly doable. Lots of people do four A2s, and while it might mean you have more exams, it gives you a bit more flexibility around university offers and so on. But only do it if you genuinely want to carry on with all your subjects, not just to impress universities. And you can always drop one if you decide it's getting to be too much for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scottus_Mus)
    I'm doing 7A2s and an AS next year, am a little aprehensive about it; but it should be ok
    WHY?? why on earth do you want or need 7 A2, theyve gotta be like 3of them Maths right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemby!)
    i am planning to do 4, but seeing as i have not quite made it there yet, like yourself, i couldnt possibly tell you ! but i am interested to know how others have found it in the past.
    Hee hee you'll have to tell me what you think
    WHat subjects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    Yeah I think I'm carrying on all four, dropping German is tempting, but it actually doesn't seem like *that* much work. It's just our teachers make up work to keep us busy :evil:
    We can always drop something in September if it's a curse. I'd mostly LOVE to drop chemistry, because our teacher's a pillock, gah. But I need Chem for medicine or any sciencey degree really. :rolleyes:
    I thought that about German, cause it's my weakest subject but it is honestly the most interesting! Aaah confused

ReputationRep:
    work hard and it wont be that difficult. wait til u go to uni.

youll think u could have done 8 a-levels
    '

ReputationRep:
    its normal at our college to do 4A2s (although one of them is usually general studies) just go for it, i did 4 A2s (german, eng, hist, geog) and general studies. It was a lot of hard work but if you do well in your ASs then the pressure is taken off. I wouldn't recommend doing 4 if your AS grades aren't too good.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.