Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I want to get a credit card to use for a while, how do i find out which is best and how exactly do they work?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Are you over 18?

ReputationRep:
    yep

ReputationRep:
    dont u have to pay taxes to get a credit card?

ReputationRep:
    she is apparently 18 on the nose.

Try googling for a comparison pagge. One may exist... Otherwise search for major banks and see their credit card deals...

ReputationRep:
    Avoid Credit Cards at all costs.. those things are evil..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justchar)
    I want to get a credit card to use for a while, how do i find out which is best and how exactly do they work?

It's quite simple. You borrow money which isn't yours, and pay it back with interest; and if you don't repay it on time, with interest, they add extra charges. All you have to do, if you want one, is to look at the various credit card issuers (they all have Web sites, start perhaps with your current bank, then look at the major banks' offerings), and see which has the lowest rates of interest. Avoid anything with interest rates of thirty per cent., or anything remotely like it; the closer it is to ten per cent. the better. Many also give you a period of about thirty or sixty days to pay off your purchases, during which time they won't charge you any interest.

ReputationRep:
    i wouldnt get a credit card, go to nationwide and get a debit card. nationwide and halifax are the only banks which do have interest when you withdraw money. natwest is crap everytime you take money out there is a maximum of 4.7 percent. i got a debit card/ cash card from nationwide with a cheque book and its great. plus you dont over spend.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see the point in credit cards, unless your desperate and you empty your pay slip money within seconds and don't want to wait a month for more.

Debit Cards>Credit Cards

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't ever get a credit card unless I had rich parents who I knew would pay my bill for me when I slip up :rolleyes:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Visit Money Supermarket. Money Saving Expert is always good too.

Because of your age, you'll only be able to get credit cards with high interest rates and low limits. However, if you pay it all back as soon as you get the bill you won't pay any interest.

Credit cards are safer for buying online, as it isn't your money that is stolen if someone steals your details. And if you buy something costing over £100 the card issuer becomes equally liable, so you will get your money back if it breaks/the company goes bankrupt/whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prad)
    Avoid Credit Cards at all costs.. those things are evil..
    lack of self discipline is the evil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by svidrigailov)
    It's quite simple. You borrow money which isn't yours, and pay it back with interest; and if you don't repay it on time, with interest, they add extra charges. All you have to do, if you want one, is to look at the various credit card issuers (they all have Web sites, start perhaps with your current bank, then look at the major banks' offerings), and see which has the lowest rates of interest. Avoid anything with interest rates of thirty per cent., or anything remotely like it; the closer it is to ten per cent. the better. Many also give you a period of about thirty or sixty days to pay off your purchases, during which time they won't charge you any interest.
    if you pay it off in full each month you dont pay anything.

i've never paid any more than what i've bought because debt doesnt appeal to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMGWTF)
    I don't see the point in credit cards, unless your desperate and you empty your pay slip money within seconds and don't want to wait a month for more.

Debit Cards>Credit Cards
    Except when the retailer screws you over and you have no protection because you paid by debit card. Talk about caught with your pants down.

Credit cards are always infinitely better for buying goods as the credit card issuer is jointly liable for any breach of contract on the part of the retailer by means of the Consumer Credit Act.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Kingspharm)
    Except when the retailer screws you over and you have no protection because you paid by debit card. Talk about caught with your pants down.

Credit cards are always infinitely better for buying goods as the credit card issuer is jointly liable for any breach of contract on the part of the retailer by means of the Consumer Credit Act.
    Only if it's over £100. You can choose to pay only a bit of it on your credit card though.

Under that, they might help but they don't have to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Because of your age, you'll only be able to get credit cards with high interest rates and low limits.
    Simply not true. Avoid the 'bankrupts cards' like Capital One, Monument and the other scum that pedal the high interest rate cards to people with a higher than average risk profile.

Try your own bank first (where you hold your current account) as you may be more likely to be able to obtain a card with them (if they run their own credit card issuing in-house).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Only if it's over £100. You can choose to pay only a bit of it on your credit card though.

Under that, they might help but they don't have to.
    Indeed, although some of the purchase protection insurance that some cards offer (in addition to the statutory rights) do insist that the goods are paid for in full using the same card - important to check the terms and conditions before relying on any of the additional protection advertised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    lack of self discipline is the evil.
    True, but I generally avoid them if I can. It's easier to use Debit cards because at least then you're spending money you have. Stuff like electronics worth over £100 I put onto credit card though, just in case I have to return it or it develops a problem..

ReputationRep:
    This is kind of off topic, but do american credit cards and debit cards work in the UK? I'll be coming there in september and would rather not have to get new ones. All of mine are currently visa.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you will be able to use them, although you may be charged a fee by your bank/credit card issuer for using them abroad, as well as a currency conversion rate that is less competitive than walking into a bank and changing dollars into pounds.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.